• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M135 Quad cab

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks factory because it is factory. Thanks for the pics.

Your air-tank location and fitting picture somehow got me thinking of a couple of mini air-bags in place of the springs. Can't believe I'm talkin' like that,,,,,

To keep these trucks all in one place one of our brightest M211 builders started this thread,,,, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58040-The-unofficial-g749-picture-thread!!!!

.......it would be very cool to have some pictures of your truck in there when you have time. Greatly appreciate the pictures.

JerseyHick

Park-Break mount;
Mount is 5.5'' hi off the floor. At this height you wont even have to readjust your linkage.
Fabbed mine using an old jeep bumper i had laying around. Not happy with the look, but near the end of the build, i was getting lazy.
If i were to do it over i would use 5.5'' channel or 1/8'' plate. That will 100% cleaner than mine.

IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0273.jpgIMG_0276.jpg

Attachments

JerseyHick

PTO/T-Case lever mount;
Simply mount it directly to the floor, then readjust the linkage accordingly.
Bench Seat Legs were made from the discarded rear cab corners..
Trying to keep the ''Could Have Came From The Factory'' look.
Have a few more ''speed bumps'' i ran into ill post later.
Hope this helps the next builder... Common guys.. I don't wanna have the only quad cab!:)

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it looks great. I keep trying to find a flaw, but cannot! how did you do the channels under the cab? The ones that run from firewall to back of cab just under your feet. I'd say that was the hardest part for me with the height change. I may even do it over. I have a junker that is going to donate some new channels so I can re-work it.

JerseyHick

Just USE the height change... the front cabs channels will sit on top the rear cabs front body mount channel.

When i disected the donor cab. I kept the hole floorpan and channels intact, all the way foward to rite were the floor starts to angle up under the dash, cut away floor there. Cut the channels there to. That means the furthermost front body mount channel, that the factory cab mounts bolt to, is still intact.
That way when the rear cab is butted up to the front. The front cabs channels, that are now raised in the rear, will sit perfect on the rear cabs body mount / cross channel.
Sorry i know i didnt explain it very well, i think i confused myself!
One look @ the pics and you will figure it out.
IMG_0286.jpgIMG_0291.jpg

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what you are telling me is to do this.

Of course, I should cut it off straight...

I guess I was overthinking it. I had it in my head that I needed to cut the dog leg out and weld a straight section between the two.

I have been jacking around, hung up on that, trying to find a piece of cab channel for a year.

Thanks, you just helped a fellow SS member. :)

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel like I just checked into the G-749 Surgeon's website.

YA did it again Dr. Jersey, a little flicker of a picture on a modified tailgate in the 'unofficial G-749' thread and with it being Christmas.......when you get a second can you share a little detail on my present, a modified tailgate, please. Looks like you cut out a section for a roll-over, flip down grannie step.

We know that most future tailgates will need to be re-created so having a useful modification is just good planning.

With the experience you and the 2 Henderson doctors have, do you gentlemen think this can be done so it is "reversible" on the primary cab?

I'd love to have one but I have a few original trucks that deserve to be saved although they want more riders in the cab right now.

A bolt up cab-kit and after-market, shortened box and your tailgate could be attractive to a growing but small G-749 market.

Can the surgery be engineered to be reversed?

Last edited:

JerseyHick

Thats the factory tailgate, as it left the factory. I believe drop-down gates were only on early m135 models.
It is pretty sweet tho!
You could fab one out of a standard gate. Wont be to difficult, its a simple mechanism.
Ill post detailed pics and measurements if you want.

My cab is welded, so I cant reverse mine.
The cabs will actually bolt together, that was my original plan.. Olny problem is you would have about a 6.5'' space between the doors. I really wanted as little space as possible, think mine ended up at 3.25''
Seriously tho...DO IT!! Im really curious to see how it would turn out.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dr. Hick, you are a brilliant man. I ended up with exactly 3-1/4" between the doors too. I did not look at landmarks, just what I thought was visually attractive. What are the chances?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just noticed the turn signals. Clever.

I am a purist (for the most part) but I love this thing.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see some pics of the early tailgate. I'm guessing most have never seen one!

Gunfreak25

First class job, very glad you had the "guts" to post this. I would certainly consider doing it with the M211 6.2 project had I an extra cab laying around. There are enough of these trucks around that have been restored that customizing a select few for the purpose of obtaining the maximum of amount of entertainment from said trucks is justifiable.

You seriously going with the 454/Th400 in the spring? Excellent. Have you considered building a 700r4 for the truck to make it even more highway friendly? Or is it a dedicated street/offroad rig. Even then, the 3.06 first gear is great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks