• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton

Blendmaster2002

I have my m36a2 registered historic basically, allowed to be used for events, test drives, no mileage limit, so as long as you’re not using it for work, hauling gravel, taking it to home depot, or using it as a daily driver you should be fine for recreational use in my opinion, If you make it RV no limitations at all but you would probably need a trailer to haul stuff.

The Low Use 1000 mile limit exemption you found for commercial registration may be a good alternative for some.

I don’t know how many miles I will put on mine a year but in just a couple trips I racked up about 350 miles.

LONDOGGY

I just purchased a M934A2 from the Barstow location. It has 5 flats and they say it did not start with a jump. My original intention was to drive out from Huntington Beach with my mechanic and get it running but now after reading your post maybe hauling it is a better choice. What is the contact info for your hauler with the landall? Thanks, Lonnie

quickfarms

I just purchased a M934A2 from the Barstow location. It has 5 flats and they say it did not start with a jump. My original intention was to drive out from Huntington Beach with my mechanic and get it running but now after reading your post maybe hauling it is a better choice. What is the contact info for your hauler with the landall? Thanks, Lonnie
I use a local towing company that has a landall. My mechanic introduced me to the owner several years ago.

I would ask your mechanic if he has a relationship with any heavy duty towing companies.

LONDOGGY

I received the PM and want to say thank you very much Blendmaster for the lead. I am having him pick up my M934A2 on Tuesday. Your contact was 1/4 the price of other companies and he is going to tow to his yard and get it all ready for me to pick up. Thank you once again.

Kloakndagr

Wow, I didn't know all this. Here's a question for anyone who may know. I recently purchased a M35A2 w/w, it has a metal camper shell that was added on, professionally done by Uncle Sam. I am assuming this because of the funky military light green/lime colored paint. I could be wrong, but anyways, the gentlemen I purchased the truck from said it was NEVER registered/titled in California. It was a farm truck, he's had it since 2001, he said he has no title only bill of sale. Is the bill of sale going to be enough to register it in California or am I gonna need the SF97? What if he does not have a SF97, what would be my options? I take delivery this weekend, actually he's delivering it (500 miles) via flatbed. If this vehicle is unable to be registered, I'll walk away from it, I have no use for a farm truck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blendmaster2002

Kloakndagr, Well find out if he has the SF97, if he does not have one you will not be able to get one if he has had it since 2001, as the original purchaser can only buy the SF97 up to one year after the original vehicle purchase.

If he does not have the SF97 read scottsdal’s post above and suggestion replies to him in this thread, then contact scottsdal since he has not updated weather he was able to register the truck without the SF97.

You may want to call a DMV Titling, Registration , Vin verification service they may know a way to register it with just a bill of sale, if they know a way they will tell you as they will want the work, also don’t bring up the SF97 if there is not one. Also you should read my post #18 and view the attachments as that may help.

Good luck and post up what you find out.

Artisan

What do you want to bet that if you called GL and offered them a few large they would bend the rules and issue an SF97, providing it is to the original purchaser...FWIW.

Kloakndagr

Update

What do you want to bet that if you called GL and offered them a few large they would bend the rules and issue an SF97, providing it is to the original purchaser...FWIW.
Well I went to the DMV today and spoke to someone, played dumb and asked a few questions. Bill of Sale, vin verification by CHP and they will issue registration. She didn't seem overly surprised, and said it would not be a problem. Well see, I'll keep my drama posted for everyone in Crazy Cali.

jesusgatos

Thanks for sharing all this info. Have an M109 that I'm turning into a motorhome and it's currently registered in OR, but was wondering what I might be looking at if I ever wanted to register it in CA. It easily meets the motorhome requirements. Will have to go ask how much that might cost. Would also like to know more about any limitations on the antique registration. Mine is old enough to qualify and I would like to be able to off-load the M109 box and drive the truck without it. Can't find anything on the CADMV website about the antique registration stuff though.

Blendmaster2002

Hello Jesusgatos, I have seen your truck build before, you have a lot of cool ideas going into it, but haven’t looked at it in a while though.

As to your question I have my m36a2 registered Historic vehicle.
The law is basically used primarily for exhibition, events and test drives etc., no mileage limit but do not use it to hual stuff like Rocks, load of dirt, a home improvment store run, pickup truck duty or commercial duty etc, its manly due to not paying wieght fees towards road maintance.
I dont think hualing some recreation stuff to an event would be a problem Ie firewood, camping equip, dirtbikes etc. but that is my opinion and take on it.

If you keep the camper permanent you could go RV but if you want to remove it now and then you will draw more attention here in Cali with RV registration and a flatbed or cargo bed with or without a load as it will look like you are evading weight fees, here’s an example in Cali pickup trucks have commercial plates but if you don’t use the truck to haul and put on a camper shell or truck camper (must be considered livable space so for a camper shell they check for carpet kit or Bedrug etc., one of my pickups is registered this way know.) you can get regular auto plates just like an SUV with no weight fees, but if you take off the camper and they see you don’t have commercial plates it’s a fine.

From the California DMV website on historic vehicle.
Here’s a link to the page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

“Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.”

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

Jesusgatos, Yes in CA Historical Registration and RV House Car Registrations are Exempt from the CARB Diesel Regulation that applies to 14,000lb GVWR and higher Diesel powered vehicles, unless you use the vehicle for commercial purposes then if you did the Law/regulation would apply the same as it would to a vehicle with commercial registration.

Last edited:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bit more info too it is 14,000 GVWR not GVW the difference is gvw is weight of trk only gvwr is trk and load weight.
A example is an M35A2 is 13,030 gvw (under the law weight if was gvw) but the gvwr of it is 16,030
A 3rd exemption to law is if you have (in commercial use) 3 or less trks you are exempt too.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI oops my math is so bad hehe the gvwr of the M35A2 is 18,030 oops since its 2 1/2 ton hehe sorry y'all.

Blendmaster2002

WILDBOY6X6, Yes you are correct about GVWR, Sorry for the confusion everyone I left the R off GVWR I will edit that in the post.

For the CARB Diesel Regulation they go off the manufacture GVWR(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) not GVW(Gross Vehicle Weight) for the regulation.
So for example a standard m35a2 at 13,030lbs GVW + 10,000lbs rated on road payload would be a manufacture GVWR of 23,030lbs going by the data plate and by the military in Tm's.

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

If anyone would like to consider the small Fleet option and own 1- 3 trucks used or registered Commercially in CA you are not exempt to the regulation, read about your compliance options in this link: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FAQsmall.pdf

Keep in mind the CARB Diesel Regulation does vary slightly for truck weight, the regulation is broken up between lighter trucks are under 26,000lbs down to 14,000lbs GVWR, heavy trucks are 26,000lbs+ GVWR.

CARB Diesel Regulation main Page: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm

CARB Compliance to the Regulation Summary: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

CARB Final Regulation order: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/TBFinalReg.pdf

Under 1,000 mile low use Exemption: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/faqLowuse.pdf

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks