• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken starter bolt

2deuce

I have taken every broken starter bolt out with an ice pick. They spin right out and drop in your hand in less than a minute. Easy peezy, unless you stick a drill bit in there and damage the threads, even a touch, then you have problems.

Ando427

How do you use the ice pick to get a broken off starter bolt out? And are you just referring to a standard ice pick (long, slender, pointy piece of metal)? Or is there some tool called an ice pick that I'm not aware of.

Mg84648

How do you use the ice pick to get a broken off starter bolt out? And are you just referring to a standard ice pick (long, slender, pointy piece of metal)? Or is there some tool called an ice pick that I'm not aware of.
No special tool, just an old ice pick. When the bolt breaks off it isn't bottomed out , proving it's the correct bolt. So it can turn out easily using a pick or left handed drill bit.IMG_0859.JPG

OGMurph

Hey Ando,

So what these guys are saying here is try to catch an edge of a non smooth broken bolt.. It usually doesnt shear off flat.. so use a tool and try to catch the edge and spin it out. If that doesnt work you can use bolt removal tools or left handed drill bits.. I dont like the cone shaped bolt removers.. This is the style that i use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YDQ812/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ando427

Ahh, got it. Thanks guys! I should be taking off the starter today so I can take a look at the broken off section and hopefully I'll have a little bit that I can snag to turn it out instead of having to use a bolt extractor.

OGMurph

the reason why i also mentioned the kit that i use.. is that it has centering guides so you can clearly center a drill bit if you need to create more of a surface to work with.. the first time i did it i used a center punch and got close.. but the drill guides are quite helpful.

Ando427

Well, my bolt seems to have broken off very cleanly. I couldn't find even the smallest should to grab onto, and it's deep up in the block. Looks like I'll be using a bolt extractor. Also, does anyone know the pn for the front bolt bracket? My starter is missing it, which is probably a big part of why this bolt sheared off.

cucvrus

Discontinued item. See if anyone offers you one. If not I have them. I had about 25 custom made at a machine shop. Send me a PM we can discuss a trade.

Smittyjs

I just went through the same thing after reading about starter brackets I went and looked at mine no bracket then I pushed on the starter it moved a bit I wondered if there was a crack
in the block so I started taking the bolts out one was broken and the other loose. Got the starter out no cracks but a broken bolt about an inch up in the hole I used a long thin screw driver to back it out
So now I need 2 new starter bolts and a bracket I am happy I checked it out could have been a lot worse.
BTW last week I had a broken bolt in the thermostat housing.. I have had this truck for about a month and everytime I go to do something it gets bigger. Its a real bolt breaker.

Mg84648

Like Murph said, use a drill bushing so you don't mess up the threads. You can make your own with a pair of vise grips and an old deep well 1/4 inch socket.IMG_0861.jpgIMG_0860.jpg

Ando427

Thats fine if you have a gear reduction starter. If you have a direct drive the bracket for the direct drive can be cut and used both ways. Good Luck. I was not trying to make a sale. I have them if you need them. If not all is well. Thank you.
I think I found one for the direct drive starter, I'll try it out and if it doesn't fit I'll send you a PM. I appreciate the support!

Ando427

Like Murph said, use a drill bushing so you don't mess up the threads. You can make your own with a pair of vise grips and an old deep well 1/4 inch socket.View attachment 689133View attachment 689132
That's a great idea! I'll definitely be doing that as well as picking up some carbide bits. I already broke one today, and that's when I decided to call it for the day. I spent all day the previous day getting my motorsickle back on the road so the broken bits were a good excuse to give myself a break for the night.

cucvrus

You do not need carbide bits on a starter bolt. You just need a good sharp quality bit and you need to let the drill bit do the drilling. Pushing harder does not make a dull bit drill any faster. It breaks bits. Drill bits have a short life span when you drill thru rust and uneven pressure and hi speed. I go thru a lot of drill bits. I never use a dull bit. It is the cause of most of drilling problems. I never had carbon or left handed bits. Again maybe I am Lucky. But I doubt it. I just learned the hard way and stuck to it. Good Luck. It is a simple task with the right sharp bit.

cucvrus

I will be in surgery for the next hour. I will be drilling the broken starter bolt out of the hole. I will report back later. No ice pickworked, My bolt extractor kit that centers the drill did not work, I bought a few other snake oil trick pieces over the years. They all failed. I am resolved to the 13/32" drill bit and an M10 X 1.50 Heli coil insert. Reporting back later. I wanted to read over all the options and came here.

nyoffroad

I never had carbon or left handed bits. Again maybe I am Lucky. But I doubt it. I just learned the hard way and stuck to it. Good Luck. It is a simple task with the right sharp bit.
OH man, you never used a left handed bit? You truly don't know what your missing. I have a set and they sometimes sit in the drawer for years on end UNTIL I need them and then each and every time there well worth what I paid. There not a magic wand and won't unscrew a rusted fastener but for an over torqued bolt it's great just center punch chuck up the bit and unscrew it done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks