• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hale P250 Water pump

lino9408

Just bought four Hale p250 mod 2 water pumps that were used by the navy. I am reaching out too see if anybody has any knowledge about how to properly start these pumps on gasoline. i have not attempted to start them as it looks they have not been started in years. Any advise or comments are welcome.

20130105_171031.jpg20130105_171054.jpg20130105_171111.jpg

135gmc

Track down a copy of the USN handbook for new sailors :"The Bluejacket's Manual" - it has instructions about using portable pumps for fire fighting and for salvage.

lino9408

I think i would need a manual specific for this pump, my question is set more towards the mechanical side of things. Thanks for your suggestion

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just happen to have my The Bluejackets' Manual on the table next to me (what former Sailor wouldn't?) and it has the P250 in it but just the specs, not how to operate it. It is called the "Handy Billy" in the book

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The P-250 in my book is different as well. Of course the pump in my book has stone impellers and the instructions are in hieroglyphics (the book is younger than me but not by much).

;-)

NEIOWA

See http://www.ki7xh.com/firetruck.htm conversion of pump for a homebuilt wildland fire engine (nice Unimog). He has email addy for conversion. Useful info. Should see if can archive in here as comes up on occasion.

Late model P250 used a funky propane minicylinder as a starting aid so could use JP5 as fuel. The guys instructions included stripping all this BS of the engine. Engine is and OMC ouboard and OMC went out of business years ago. To my understanding OMC parts are a problem. Can get some of the Hale parts.

I'm attaching some op info I found several years ago. As I recall for from Navy training manual.View attachment Operationg P250 pump.doc

lino9408

See http://www.ki7xh.com/firetruck.htm conversion of pump for a homebuilt wildland fire engine (nice Unimog). He has email addy for conversion. Useful info. Should see if can archive in here as comes up on occasion.

Late model P250 used a funky propane minicylinder as a starting aid so could use JP5 as fuel. The guys instructions included stripping all this BS of the engine. Engine is and OMC ouboard and OMC went out of business years ago. To my understanding OMC parts are a problem. Can get some of the Hale parts.

I'm attaching some op info I found several years ago. As I recall for from Navy training manual.View attachment 402993
Thank you, i have run into that site many times, would i have to email him for conversion details or is it already on this site? and yes my pumps came with about 10 mini propane cylinders that are still unused, enigine parts to my understanding are still easily found i think the engine is a 1984 evinrude omc outboard i found many sites that still sell parts but it is hard to find information about this pump. thank you for the additional info.

lino9408

Finally fixed everything cleaned them up and put new gaskets and gas and water lines on them. Pump runs hard and long. Took me forever to get everything figured out. :naner:

prpshp

hale pump

Not yet but a coupler will do for now, i just want to get the engine squared away first, it looks complex.

Just finished converting mine from jp-5 /butane fuel to gas/oil mix, not too complicated. Delete the butane starting garbage, which allows room to install Johnson 55hp electric starter (way cool) buy carb rebuild kits, install , also install stock outboard fuel pump in stock location, I installed a odyssey battery and a starter button, runs great, way better than trying to pull start 55 hp

lino9408

Just finished converting mine from jp-5 /butane fuel to gas/oil mix, not too complicated. Delete the butane starting garbage, which allows room to install Johnson 55hp electric starter (way cool) buy carb rebuild kits, install , also install stock outboard fuel pump in stock location, I installed a odyssey battery and a starter button, runs great, way better than trying to pull start 55 hp
Hey can can you message me please!

NEIOWA

More info about the electric starter please. This a current part/kit that fits up to the OMC power head? photo?

What did the "stock outboard fuel pump in stock location" do for your? Got a part #? photo?

prpshp

I found the starter at rareelectrical.com, fuel pump was a Sierra marine parts part (will have to get part # and get back to you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks