• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Balancing the clutch on a deuce?

Alvin Green

I know this thread is old but I have a couple of questions I hope somebody can answer for me. I recently had my flywheel off of my ldt 465 Herc resurfaced and balanced for a new clutch. It now has a lot of holes drilled in it to get it balanced. Did I ruin my flywheel? I thought it was an internally balanced engine but the off set bolt holes now leads me to believe that it is externally balanced by the flywheel. I have searched for hours but can find no information on the balance of the flywheel. Thanks for clarification on this problem.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This IS an internally balanced engine, by design. So if your flywheel has been well balanced now to being "neutral" then those holes are proof of the fact that it was out of balance, before. Same goes for the pressure plate, BTW.

I think the military never cared much about this. Because so far, every single Multifuel FW I have disassembled - to be resurfaced- and then taken to my trusted balancing shop, when it came back it had quite a few of such holes.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The advice I received when doing my clutch during an engine swap was "don't even worry about it ".

I think you did a good step there; no harm in having a balanced assembly. The holes are of course to lighten the wheel at specific places. They will not affect functionality.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Alvin Green

If my shop did it correctly then the original flywheel was way out of balance. That might explain why the rear and centre main bearings were wiped out. If the flywheel is "neutral" why does it have only one orientation? Again thanks for the help.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Perhaps the front balance thingie that almost never gets replaced could have something to do with it all.
Maybe in the -39.pdf 2320 289 39
Type harmonic balancer with Ctrl and F at the same time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks