• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Return Line Fittings

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to replace the fuel return lines on the She Beast and can't find any info on the brass beads for the compression fittings. Are they just standard, like I can get from McMaster? I know that it's backwards to what I'm used to . . . male threaded nuts on the tubing and female thread on the fittings :roll:, but do they still use the standard beads or are they "special" ;)

sandcobra164

These have "Old School" fittings, you can get the outer beads and inner ferrules from McMaster Carr. I don't have the part number's in front of me but I have a bag of them in the shed and that's where they came from. I got in a bind on the way to the GA Rally this year and it was the line from the secondary filters to the IP. It took a buddy of mine about 2 hours to find the fittings. He finally found an old lumber company that had a maint. man on site. He said it took the old guy about 20 minutes of searching through some boxes to find the fittings as the ones that were on the line were not interested in separating after being together for so many years. At first they couldn't find the leak in the line even though we both knew it was it leaking. When they tried to straighten the old one out to measure, it split down the side about 7 inches or so. Fortunately, we got it fixed and we made it to the 2012 Ga Rally!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use standard ferrules.

Try searching ferrules, fuel, insert, nut.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use standard ferrules.

Try searching ferrules, fuel, insert, nut.
Doghead - thanks for the right search terms

I believe these are the same as the OEM. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-compression-tube-fittings/=kzwd39 under Accessories, Brass, High-Pressure Quick-Assembly Brass Compression Tube Fittings
DieselBob - are you saying that this is what would have been in there before someone did a change and just put standard ferrules in?

DieselBob

I believe from what I have read here that a standard ferrules will work. From what I can tell the original style was just a one piece design that made assembly easier because they didn't have to deal with the separate nut and ferrule. Because the nut and ferrule where one piece they just needed to insert the line into the fitting and tighten the nut. They didn't have to remove the nut and ferrule, place them on the tube and then reinstall to the fitting.

Clay James

I just replaced the return lines on one of my deuces today. I got all the fittings and air brake line at NAPA. Although it looks like they're cheaper at Mcmaster-carr.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe from what I have read here that a standard ferrules will work. From what I can tell the original style was just a one piece design that made assembly easier because they didn't have to deal with the separate nut and ferrule. Because the nut and ferrule where one piece they just needed to insert the line into the fitting and tighten the nut. They didn't have to remove the nut and ferrule, place them on the tube and then reinstall to the fitting.
DieselBob - thanks I think those are the ones I'm going to go w/. I think I'll also use some inserts in some new nylon tubing :)

Any one have a reason not to?

After getting the correct terms from Doghead I'm embarrassed by how many threads there already are :oops:
What ever happened to the "New Thread" function giving us other threads that we might want to read FIRST! Was that another function that we lost w/ the upgrade? (not complaining)
Maybe we should delete this thread, . . . after I get any more input ;)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that don't have the fittings at Parker Hannifin. I just checked a couple of weeks ago. They are all special order. For the compressor air line they did give me a single fitting that has the ferrule and nut together.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to either re-use the old ferrules or purchase new ones...if not, when the compression fittings are tightened, they will compress the nylon/flex tubing and allow leakage. The ferrules allow the line to be compressed against them to seal against leaks.

I got all of mine (ferrules, line, compression rings) from my local All-Hose. Not priced badly either, and I also purchased one of the nylon hose cutters for a cheap price that I've more than gotten my money out of.

RedneckMilenko

My m1009 is missing the fitting for the fuel return line in the T fitting under the passenger side of the truck. From what I can tell a plug was installed where the return line was and my line is just hanging there. I always have a rough time starting her and I think it's becuase I'm having air get in my lines from that. What all do I need to purchase to fix this problem?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to either re-use the old ferrules or purchase new ones...if not, when the compression fittings are tightened, they will compress the nylon/flex tubing and allow leakage. The ferrules allow the line to be compressed against them to seal against leaks.
I think you're talking about the "inserts", the ferrules are the beads.

deathrowdave

You can use standard hardware store ferrules (HOME DEPOT / LOWES) !!! But be sure to use the stiffener inside of the tube or the ferrules will not hold !!!

Seth_O

I recently redid all of my lines. I used standard inserts and ferrules from the hardware store, and reused the fasteners. I used nylon air brake hose from Napa for the lines. Prices ended up being fairly reasonable.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DieselBob - thanks I think those are the ones I'm going to go w/. I think I'll also use some inserts in some new nylon tubing :)

Any one have a reason not to?
Yes, use inserts.

There seems to be some confusion in terminology here. The ferrule is the compression part on the outside of the line and cannot be reused. The insert can be reused and goes inside the line so the ferrule doesn't crush it when assembled. You can reuse the insert but will have to cut the ferrule off most of the time to get it out of the old line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks