• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm211 vs m211

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First post and first day on the Steel Soldiers Solutions Site. SSSS

Welcome aboard. I had this same question and X typically mean EXperimental.....Your truck, is an experiment.

Get into the rules and you can find the best way to use the site......and learning to post pictures is the best way. Google searching all questions and adding the words "Steel Soldiers" to your search will net you more answers then you can imagine.

Gotta see that truck. There's an "unofficial G-749 picture thread" that you can post your pics to if you're not starting a re-build thread in the Early Deuce forum.

Another G749....... awesome.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has it been re-built?

We had steering components that were so loose we used them as wind chimes so if you can drive your 60 year old truck home, you're lucky.

Most seals dry up and I think there's 16 or so different components that can leak oil. If any of these are dry, or the seals fail on your trip you could lose brakes, steering, engine, rad, shocks, compressor, air-pak, TC, differential, pinion block, trani or worse, a vital component.

If it's been re-built or serviced you're in for a great adventure. They humm at 50mph and ride like a cadi. It will be difficult to wait for these pictures but I'll drink until they're posted.

Let us know what you need for a perfect recovery.

gunboy1656

Welcome from about 45 minutes away, you will find a wealth of information to be read on here.

You will also find threads about other Ohio members and here in the near future you will be seeing threads about a vehicle show in Findlay and 2 shows in Alliance. These are usually attended my quite a few members.

uss sterett

not sure on when it was rebuilt or if it ever was, but the steering is tight, rubber is worn but pretty solid, it runs and drives according to the seller had to take him at his word on that (he seems like a honest guy)waiting for a starter right now. it seems to all be there except for back canvas portion of the cab. he drove it 30 miles in july with no problems so I guess I will just add another 100 miles this weekend, I top off all gear boxes and fluids and go for it.

uss sterett

what fluid should I use in transmission if I need to top it off? The others are easy just gear lube I would suppose. Thanks for the welcome seems like a nice clean site and folks are friendly.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last edited:

uss sterett

rebuilt in 1965 shifted great, transmission was flawless for the 120 mile trip home. clean oil at the right level trans seems good. one bad u-joint, rusty fuel tank, blown coolant line to compressor, truck running hot in cold weather (assume it is a plugged up rad)but got it home without a wrecker life is good.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the water pump. My XM211 water pump died on its first trip. Spectacular steam coming out,
I almost had a coronary.
Bruce

uss sterett

Getting hot on the road pull over and idle for 10 min she cools back down again, figure its a flow issue somewhere. It was in the 20's out for the trip thankfully.

uss sterett

sorry if this has been discussed already, I tried to search it out with no avail, can somebody explain the action of the front drive engagement in the transfer case on my xm211 I understand that it has a "clutch" of sorts but from what I can see by looking at diagrams it looks like it would not engage in reverse, which does not sound very desirable when your stuck. you all have been helpful and it has been apreciated.phone 661.jpgphone 659.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm betting by the time I push send someone's got this.

My asphalt queen "goose the deuce" has 6 wheel drive in reverse. I looked at the diagram and my eyes glossed over so I drove backwards up a snowy hill and I'm still going.

Here's a couple of links that support the sprag.

http://www.mil-veh.org/archives/00-07/0912.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/archive/index.php/t-22086.html
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-16014.html

.......Where's the tank located at???? There's a "gate guard" thread somewhere and that second picture is more then worthy. Can't get over how nice that truck is, really appreciate photos.

If you can share some of the highs and lows of the trip it will guide a few of us on future recoveries. I see you've got some cooling issues and your 'bell housing cover" is like mine, showing the ability to hold engine oil from the rear seal. How was the ride, traction, stopping? What tools would you take next time?

Few have done the 60 year old truck....I'm driving it home recovery, so now you're teaching.

Not sure if you have the manuals but if you need them, I bought my package from "portrayal press"....which is NOT going out of business.

8. Army Vehicle Parts Guide by D. Spence $19
9. TM 9-8025-1 Engine Rebuild, 279 pages, $40
10. TM 9-8025-2 Transmission rebuild (auto), 291 pages: $40
11. TM 9-1819AC: Power Train, 440 pages: $59
12. Tech Tips, M135, M211 etc by Kettler, 8 pages: $15
13. ORD 9 G749 Complete Parts, 785 pages, $99
14. ORD 9 G749 Basic Parts, 158 pages, $24

Great recovery story, great truck....keep it up.

uss sterett

the trip was tough from the first 5 miles, blew a cooling line to air compressor spewed coolant and steam everywhere ended up in lowes bought some brass barbed fittings and replaced the coolant line with some 3/8 fuel, started up engine and discovered that I damaged a rotten oil line feeding the pump also, it pumped lots of oil before I could get to ign switck to kill it. Good thing this happened when it did if it would have happened on the road could have locked up motor easily.fixed oil line with copper tubing, refilled fluids and headed south, started steaming out of pressure valve housing (not through to tube but around valve itself)buy this time it was dark had to leave it overnight (no headlights). next day fixed the pressure valve(found the retainer spring missing used a 1.750 internal snapring from local hardware) headed south. the tank was in deerfield american legion lot. left the truck there to keep tank company for the night seemed like a great place to leave it, who would think twice about a deuce there?
Advice? check the small collant lines and the small oil lines before a major falure. I had checked the rad hoses, but neglected these other ones. I did install a mech.temp gauge the second day also a good idea the original seemed unreliable.
the links on the spraqe were very helpful thank you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks