• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show your 5 tons in the snow.

chadande

And a vid. Sorry about the lousy quality, I'll have to rig up some sort of camera mount. I clearly can't hold the thing still.
And that squeek is going to need attention. I think it's in the seat. Funny it doesn't bug me in the truck.

http://youtu.be/pMRdjg1S0Xo

Last edited:

cx65083

After climbing a ladder to shovel off the truck, I Was taking my boys back to their mothers apartment with the Big Green truck when I heard hissing. Yup, lost my air pressure. Good thing I still had the hydraulics. Its flat n level and slow speed streets, so I kept going. She stops pretty good on just the hydro's without air at 35mph.
Dropped the boys off and took notice of the big bank of snow piled up at the end of the little bitty parking lot. So instead of doing my usual 5 point turn around...I backed up into the snow bank. Smashed into it good! Then pulled forward. The boys gave applause, so being a natural show off.... I pulled forward and hit it harder! With lots of wheel spin and throwing snow! Big Grin!
Then it came time to pull out..... Stuck her in 1st, let out the clutch and nothing happened. Stepped on it!
Look in the mirror and see both rear axles on both sides giving it heck.... not moving. Darnit.
Climb up under to take a look, yup, the back frame is hung up on the frozen bank. crawl forward to connect the airline back up to the trans to engage the sprag.... then reality hit home..... no air.....no sprag engagement.....Big Green Truck stuck in my ex wife apartment building parking lot! Shoot. (though I did use stronger words at the time)
This is what a stuck 5 ton looks like. We need to make that another topic. "Show us your stuck 5 ton!" LOL

I called my brother, who brought his little bity F250 4x4 over. After hard 5 tugs he broke the strap. Told him to get the heavier one! We broke out the back up strap and doubled it up. Couldnt get a good run at it... so stuck with short quick tugs. Took a minute to get it tugged the one extra inch so she settled back down into the snow bank.
Yea, so I've been a bit embarrassed with all the bragging Ive been doing about going anywhere I pointed it.... except out of a snow bank! (face palm)

2013-02-14_16-59-41_75.jpg2013-02-17_16-22-45_286.jpg2013-02-17_16-23-13_48.jpg2013-02-17_16-37-27_444.jpg

Carlo

IMG_1267[1].jpgIMG_1266[1].jpgIMG_1265[1].jpgIMG_1259[1].jpg
The first photo is the M35 though its hard to see its a M35. The 2nd is the M923A2 (behind it is the MAN KAT) and the 3rd is the M931A1 by our auto.
These photos are at my house.
The last is at my restoration shop with the Bedford TM and 3 axle trailer the same day. BIG difference from 800 to 275 mters will make in snow levels.

Carlo

Got some fresh powder yesterday, here are a couple pics.
You REALLY have to watch those brakes even with ABS on the slippery stuff.
Aint this true! My 931A1 on ice can make you age very fast. The M35A2 please dont ask me but the M923A2 with the tires aired down on the sand setting lets the truck stop good.

Carlo

M52 gas job all chained up for the winter, after bringing a M172A1 up the icey hill to home. The snow also provided a good test for the interaxle differential on the M916A1. You can get only one rear axle spinning (both wheels with the posi) then stop, engage the diff. lock and it nails it.
Hit -25 last week so am looking at putting in one of the fuel burning heater kits!View attachment 406807View attachment 406808View attachment 406809View attachment 406810View attachment 406811
How long have you have the Freightlinner? We are seeing more on auction here in Europe and I love the Detroit motor. I would welcome your feed back on this truck for Im thinking of added one to my collection.

Scarecrow1

How did the trip go ? Delaware is where I bought my truck from and drove it home . I still get sick from thinking of that long I95 pilgrimage home. Left Delaware at 9:30 am and cut the truck off at 3:30 the next AM.

Carlo

IMG_1286[1].jpgIMG_1287[1].jpgI thought we had finished with winter snows and last week another 50cm deep in snow. You might not be able to tell but thats my M923A2 . 24 hours before this photo there was nothing. All the last big snow fall had melted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks