• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a injector pump?

Keith_J

Running with no load for 5 minutes and it shut down after the air shutters opened maximum. Checked the thermal protection and it tripped. Smoke from the cylinder head. Felt hot.

Guyfang

Staff member
What kind of oil cooler do you have? Old style, or new. What is the oil pressure. Look to see if its plugged up, (fins)

ASK kit?

Running it with all doors closed right? Nothing taken off, like the fan shroud?

Chainbreaker

Wow, shutting down only after 5 minutes with no load due to temp is not good. My shutters don't even begin to open more than 1/4 after 30 minutes under a typical load this time of year. Interesting to know your answers to Guy's questions. Also, check to make sure no mouse nests built around cylinder heads or any that might impede air flow. Could explain running hot but not the hard starting. Could be two unrelated issues or timing/fueling issue as you suspect.

Last edited:

jamawieb

This is the thread I need..working on a 003 that is driving me nuts..flow timing shows timing off but PC mark and face gear alignment spot on. The IP has a history of breaking the drive key so I'm thinking it has damaged the drive key instead of breaking it. This would upset the distribution. Symptoms were hot operation and hard starting.

I have found the best product for cleaning IP and injectors, Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle.
Since your flow timing is off, have you determined what button you need to correct the flow timing? I've had units come in with the wrong buttons because I believe someone just tried to swap the IP's but didn't check the flow timing.

Guyfang

Staff member
Since your flow timing is off, have you determined what button you need to correct the flow timing? I've had units come in with the wrong buttons because I believe someone just tried to swap the IP's but didn't check the flow timing.

Shade tree mechanics. Too lazy to read the book. Too cheap to order a button kit. Quick fix and push it off on some poor unsuspecting person. This set is really not rocket science if one looks at the TM.

OK, rant over.

Keith_J

This unit had been running and powering my friends house on a backup basis 8 years ago. Old fuel caused plunger sticking and the drive key broke. I swapped that out and it worked again. Few years later bad fuel..see the issue? I put it back together correctly with the same pump, shims and button. And it ran fine.

On my own unit, it gets a monthly run under load and fresh fuel every six months. So it starts and runs perfectly. I wish I had time to run it every week but its at the storage unit

jamawieb

Are you sure you set the timing correctly because it has to be set with the compression stroke of number 1 cylinder. So if you set the timing 180 degrees off, then you will have the same problem. The timing marks will match but the flow will be off.

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you sure you set the timing correctly because it has to be set with the compression stroke of number 1 cylinder. So if you set the timing 180 degrees off, then you will have the same problem. The timing marks will match but the flow will be off.
Every time I did that, (got it 180 out) and I did it more then once, The set simply would not run.

Keith_J

I have tried multiple times. Take valve cover off. Roll engine until the PC mark and both valves closed on #1. Cam lobe next to IP cam should point down and out.

I am pretty sure it is the drive key. So once more, pull the pump and take it apart.

Keith_J

Thanks! My life has been a bit busy to take care of this generator..plus the owner keeps getting different FMVs for me to work on ;). I'm pretty adept at this style of injection system from M35A2 multifuel to Bosch VE pumps.

My main problem is working nights 4 days a week, then adapting to day schedule and trying to remember what I did 5 years ago fixing this set.

Time has not been all bad, I found Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle, this solution cleans diesel varnish faster than any other product.

Keith_J

Got the problem identified. Pulled the IP and took the button out, #12 and pump housing stamped 12. Turned the face gear and the plunger isn't turning. Broken key again. I have a parts spare but no more. Going to put the hydraulic parts through ultrasonic cleaning. Then brand new fuel.

Keith_J

It is back alive!! Installed the pump and checked flow before the PC mark, spot on flow stopped at PC. Smoky startup but cleared after warming. Wet stacked bad from all the problems.

Had to swap the VR as that died due to low RPM or extensive cranking. Had a spare handy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks