• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 pickup checklist

bizzyboi

Does anyone have a checklist for things to look at and bring when going to get a GL auction M923? I know insurance and tags etc but I am wondering what tools,fluids and parts to bring and in what quantity? Help greatly appreciated.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Tools and fluids,filters and the phone # of a towing company in case you break down.You cant get tags for a truck bought from GL,until after the truck is picked up.Then you have to wait about a month for a title from GL.Then you can go get tags.

bizzyboi

Haha nice! Do they let you preview in DE before you bid? Also I am sure its been said before but John aka jcappeljr you are the man, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The short answer is it depends on how much time you have to work on one and if the GL site will let you do any work on their real estate. Some will, some won't. It is usually dependent on base policy not necessarily GL. They are very paranoid about fluid spills and usually won't let you do any radiator work (change hoses), drain anything or bleed brakes (in the case of vehicles with fluid brakes). If you are recovering a truck with super singles remember that they weigh around 500 pounds each. You will prob not be changing one of them on the lot. They may allow a mobile tire man to swap one out on the lot if needed. I would bring two hot, high CCA batteries (you can get by with two verses the four stock ones). Transmission fluid, extra fuel and a way to get it in the tank without sloping it on the ground (I use a 12 volt transfer pump and a 50 gal drum). If you have a like size vehicle and a towbar you can either flat tow it home or get it off base to work on it. An airhose with a gladhand hookup is good along with a air gauge. The only thing you forget to bring is the one item you will need the most if Mr Murphy shows up. Credit card, cell phone, proper clothes for the weather and a list of folks along your route is good insurance also.

bizzyboi

Thanks wreckerman893! I am going to buy in DE and I spoke to them a bit. They seems less strict bc its not a military facility. I am sure they may not oppose inspection and light work if needed. Not to many SS members in the area responding to my posts but I do have some help from John.

Tornadogt

This is my List for a M939 Series A2 W/8.3Cummins

Recovery check list
M939 Series A2

Paper work:​
Insurance​
Paid GL Invoice​
To drive on base:​
Current Insurance card​
Current Registration paperwork​
Current ID/Drivers License​
Recovery Tools:​
1) TM Print outs and Copies on Laptop​
1) Fire Extinguisher (most truck seem have these removed)​
1) Large Hammer​
1) Digital Temp gun (great for checking fluid/Break Temps)​
2) 12V Diesel Batteries/Cross connection link (to make 24v)​
1) Heavy Duty Jumper Cables​
2) Multi-Meter/10 ft. wire and assorted connectors​
1) 20 Ton Bottle Jack​
?) Wood Cribbing for jack ect.​
2) Wheel Chalks (block tires if needed)​
1) Large Socket Set (Include 1 ½ Socket for Lug nuts)​
1)4 ft. Breaker Bar and adaptors/extensions​
1) Travel Tool Box​
1) Allen Wrench Set​
1) Screw Driver Set​
1) Pack of Tie Downs (at least 4 tie downs)​
2) Heavy Tow Chains​
2) Chain Binders​
1) ½ in. Impact​
2) Air lines with Glad Hand fitting (glad hand fitting from NAPA)​
1) Air chuck w/Gauge​
2) Crescent Wrenches​
2) Rolls of Duct Tape​
1) Work Gloves​
1) Needle Nose Pliers/ Large Channel Lock Pliers​
1)3/4 Line Wrench (Injector pump inlet/outlet)​
1)11/16 Line Wrench (Injector lines)​
Recovery Filters/Belt,Wiper Blades /Fluids:​
Filters:​
Trans Filter: 51268 wix , 1268 NAPA $9.29​
Oil Filter: 51649 wix, 1649 NAPA $33.99​
Fuel Filter : 3472 NAPA $19.49​
Serpentine Belt: K080675 Gates/25080675 NAPA $54.15​
Wiper Blades: WIP 601450 NAPA​
Fluids:​
5)Gallons of 30w Oil​
5)Gallons of Water​
2)Fuel Jugs 10 gallons if Diesel​
4) Cans of Ether Starting Fluid

Last edited:

hotbox

I brought a truckload of everything and needed nothing! The M923 with 12,000 miles fired right away. ****, it even had a half tank of diesel. It drove better than my pick up! I did verify that my insurance covered this purchase. GL didn't like me driving it home, but I did. Now I have a solid truck, tow-bar, fuel transfer pump, glad-hands air and slave jumpers. I'm set!

bizzyboi

I picked up my first m923 yesterday in DE and it is awesome! Drove home no problem thanks to several good members on this site that not only met me there but helped out throughout the process. I did want to mention that there is a whole new GL team in DE and you now need a appointment for load outs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks