• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

value of m49a2c Tank

ncduece

I just purchased a m49a2c and have no need for the tank bed. i understand these are made of stainless steel. just wondering what its value might be, sale vs scrap? i might be interested in trading.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents are that the "special" versions of the M44 chassis are becoming somewhat rare. It is your truck, you bought it, you can do what you want, even send it for scrap as-is. Not for anybody else to tell you what to do.
If it was me, I would attempt to keep it original and trade it for the truck that I do want; a bobber or a cargo truck or....rather than dismantling and/or scrapping yet another M49.

vtdeucedriver

I know a guy that got a 49 charlie and wanted to remove the tank and put a bed on it!! I had 3 deuces at the time and I offered to trade him!!! His had been sitting from airfield to airfield so it only had 9,000 mi on it. It needed to be gone through but yet he still did not want a ready to go truck because mine had 19,000 on it.

Last I knew, its still sitting on the farm with the tank on it.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

My two cents are that the "special" versions of the M44 chassis are becoming somewhat rare. It is your truck, you bought it, you can do what you want, even send it for scrap as-is. Not for anybody else to tell you what to do.
If it was me, I would attempt to keep it original and trade it for the truck that I do want; a bobber or a cargo truck or....rather than dismantling and/or scrapping yet another M49.
We need more people on here like you!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I traded my bobber for a tank truck that came out of south Florida...it was a rust bucket and I ended up scrapping it. After I cut all the carbon steel off of it I got about 600 bucks for the stainless steel tank.
I agree that if you can keep it as a tanker and get another truck you would be ahead of the game......they are not super rare but they are uncommon.
Not all military units had a fuel or water tanker. I think the ratio of tankers to cargo trucks was about 10 to one in favor of the cargos.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested in the tank, if you decide to sell/swap. I don't have a cargo truck or I might offer to swap you the whole thing.

Does it still have the pump, pto, etc?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy that got a 49 charlie and wanted to remove the tank and put a bed on it!! I had 3 deuces at the time and I offered to trade him!!! His had been sitting from airfield to airfield so it only had 9,000 mi on it. It needed to be gone through but yet he still did not want a ready to go truck because mine had 19,000 on it.

Last I knew, its still sitting on the farm with the tank on it.
This has happened to me A LOT. It really bugs me, but it is a free country, (for now) so he has the right to do whatever he wants to the truck as well. It just eats me up when people leave perfectly good equipment to rot.

ncduece

here are some pictures of the truck. truck runs great just has brake issues, fenders are a little crusty thats about it. i would trade for a good bobbed truck. located in WV31QSCI13022003C.JPG31QSCI13022003.JPG31QSCI13022003A.JPG

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely try to preserve that truck. Sell or trade it for a cargo version. Plus, you would save yourself a lot of work.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a tank bed off a M49 truck that I haven't been able to give away. It's the older aluminum tank and is missing the the pumps.

It's still mounted on the truck frame and I've been thinking about cutting the frame off behind the cab and having me a skid tank that I can load onto my cargo bed of my M35A2C to haul water. I'd rather just sell it because I really don't have a need to haul 1,000gal of water but have yet to find anybody that will pay even scrap price for it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I traded my bobber for a tank truck that came out of south Florida...it was a rust bucket and I ended up scrapping it. After I cut all the carbon steel off of it I got about 600 bucks for the stainless steel tank.
I agree that if you can keep it as a tanker and get another truck you would be ahead of the game......they are not super rare but they are uncommon.
Not all military units had a fuel or water tanker. I think the ratio of tankers to cargo trucks was about 10 to one in favor of the cargos.
I bet the ratio was MUCH higher than that, I don't recall seeing many at all. No unit I was ever in had one.

RayK

I've got an M49 from a VFD like yours - I've got the siren, but no light bar. If you decide to part or scrap it, I'd be interested in buying the bar.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet the ratio was MUCH higher than that, I don't recall seeing many at all. No unit I was ever in had one.
It's likely that no line companies ever had them. Usually it's the BN-HQ or HHC company that fields the fuel trucks. The last armor battalion I was in had about 40 gas-powered vehicles left by the mid-1980's, in the form of M151's, M880's, M886's, about seven gas deuces and about ten gas 5-tons remained. They had gotten rid of the gas M113's and M114's by 1983. There were only two 49-Charlie's in the battalion. They both only hauled MOGAS, one of which was gas-powered. The rest of the BN's vehicles including armor at the time were diesel/multifuel, and were fueled by a handful of the BN's 5-ton cargo's with T&P setups. Two of those diesel T&P's were gas-powered. Go figure. Thus, that BN's M49C ratio was about 20:1.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's likely that no line companies ever had them. Usually it's the BN-HQ or HHC company that fields the fuel trucks. The last armor battalion I was in had about 40 gas-powered vehicles left by the mid-1980's, in the form of M151's, M880's, M886's, about seven gas deuces and about ten gas 5-tons remained. They had gotten rid of the gas M113's and M114's by 1983. There were only two 49-Charlie's in the battalion. They both only hauled MOGAS, one of which was gas-powered. The rest of the BN's vehicles including armor at the time were diesel/multifuel, and were fueled by a handful of the BN's 5-ton cargo's with T&P setups. Two of those diesel T&P's were gas-powered. Go figure. Thus, that BN's M49C ratio was about 20:1.
I was in a Brigade HHC motor section, and we had one deuce with two 300 gal. fuel pods, and a trailer with another pod in it. That's it. I think one year we went to AT with 110 vehicles in our motor pool, and that's the only fueling capability our unit had. We had a unit that would set up fuel stations though, can't remember if it was part of the Engineers or a supply company. They had the semi tankers. They had enough to fuel the brigade on the main move to Camp Grayling in Mi.
BTW, our only gas truck (other than jeeps and 5/4 Dodges) was the 5t wrecker. Ironically, that was the most towed vehicle in the unit.

snowtrac nome

As far as tank trucks are concerned the tanks are kind of small, but if it still has the data plate and the serial number it can be recertified, I just bought a 2600 gallon mc 406 second hand aluminum tank to replace a failed beal tank on one of our trucks. The tx2 blackmear pumps on those are kind of special and hard to get. also the filtration system is now obsolete. if you want to make some money on the tank find an upfitter in your area specializing in fuel trucks I bet you would be surprised just how much you can get for the tank. Now like the others said I would hate to see it come apart, as I live where there is a real market for them small villages and mines out here in western Alaska use these trucks still every day.

HDN

I was about to post one reply and realized the OP is from 2013:3dAngus:

With that being said, I found two complete trucks in a quick internet search. One going for $5k, and one going for nearly $18k. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks