• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TornagdGT's M931A2 "Miss Ava Lynn" Mods and Repairs

Tornadogt

Starting this thread to combine and add to current work done on this M931A2 5-Ton Tractor..
Enjoy

First post are copy from recovery posts.........

I just won this on GL Auction. It is my first MV and am looking forward to the recovery and joining you guys/gals in this great hobby/obsession.

M931A2pic1.jpgM931A2pic5.jpgM931A2pic8.jpg
This is the GL. Details: 1990 BMY-Division of Harsco M931A2 Truck, Tractor, 5-ton, 6x6. Powered by a Cummins 6CTA8.3 6-cylinder turbosupercharged Diesel engine driving through an Allison automatic transmission and two-speed transfer case. Vehicle equipped with Central Tire Inflation System. Vehicle equipped with power steering. Manufacturer's serial number: 31/00XXX, odometer reads 09312 miles and 0509 recorded hours. Vehicle starts and runs with a jump. Buyer load out required no GL assistance provided.

Last edited:

Tornadogt

Ok i'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to Fort Bliss and picking up the truck Wednesday morning, this is my check list of tools and supplies any thing I missed??????

Recovery check list
M939 Series A2

Paper work:​
Insurance
Paid GL Invoice​
To drive on base:​
Current Insurance card​
Current Registration paperwork​
Current ID/Drivers License​
Recovery Tools:​
1) TM Print outs and Copies on Laptop​
1) Fire Extinguisher (most truck seem have these removed)
1) Large Hammer
1) Digital Temp gun (great for checking fluid/Break Temps)​
2) 12V Diesel Batteries/Cross connection link (to make 24v)
1) Heavy Duty Jumper Cables​
2) Multi-Meter/10 ft. wire and assorted connectors
1) 20 Ton Bottle Jack
?) Wood Cribbing for jack ect.
2) Wheel Chalks (block tires if needed)
1) Large Socket Set (Include 1 ½ Socket for Lug nuts)
1)4 ft. Breaker Bar and adaptors/extensions
1) Travel Tool Box
1) Allen Wrench Set
1) Screw Driver Set
1) Pack of Tie Downs (at least 4 tie downs)
2) Heavy Tow Chains
2) Chain Binders​
1) ½ in. Impact​
2) Air lines with Glad Hand fitting (glad hand fitting from NAPA)​
1) Air chuck w/Gauge​
2) Crescent Wrenches​
2) Rolls of Duct Tape​
1) Work Gloves​
1) Needle Nose Pliers/ Large Channel Lock Pliers​
1)3/4 Line Wrench (Injector pump inlet/outlet)​
1)11/16 Line Wrench (Injector lines)​

Recovery Filters/Belt,Wiper Blades /Fluids:​
Filters:
Trans Filter: 51268 wix , 1268 NAPA $9.29​
Oil Filter: 51649 wix, 1649 NAPA $33.99​
Fuel Filter : 3472 NAPA $19.49
Serpentine Belt: K080675 Gates/25080675 NAPA $54.15​
Wiper Blades: WIP 601450 NAPA​
Fluids:​
5)Gallons of 30w Oil
5)Gallons of Water​
2)Fuel Jugs 10 gallons if Diesel​
4) Cans of Ether Starting Fluid​

Tornadogt

Original Post (1-6-13)
Ok where to begin, we left new years day for Fort, Bliss El Paso from San Antonio in the rain with more bad weather in the forecast. Arrived in El Paso at 8:30pm got a hotel room just outside the base and settled in for a long night. We really picked a winner for a hotel room, the room was nice enough (motel 6) but the woman in the room above us apparently just caught her husband/boyfriend cheating on her and making sure everyone else within screaming distance know how much of a ________ he was until 2:00am in the morning. I didn't care much I was to excited to sleep anyways. Spent most of the night looking over the TM's and reading forms on Steel Sodiers. We woke the next morning to 30 deg. temperatures but at least it was dry. We couldn't pick-up until 9AM, after driving around the base for about an hour we figured out the GL lot was moved to the other side of the base. With a quick phone call and proper directions we were in the lot staring at the massive truck we just bought. Next we open the hood and start going over my check list, small water leak (loose hose clamp) everything was looking good until we got to the fuel tanks, empty........... We did bring fuel jugs but didn't fill them....so back on the road not to far just down the road but more time ticking off the clock, we know it's going to be a long drive back and it is looking like some of it will be in the dark.. after putting 10 gallons of diesel in and the GL guy (very nice and helpful) brought a Humvee and slave cable to give our battery a boost. Step by step getting all the air out of the system took almost 2 hours. BUT once it fired and worked the last bits of air our sounded great.. quick check of the air brakes and transmission and all looks good..Loaded up the tools. Right turn signal wasn't working but I took a chance and said lets roll......Just getting back to the hwy was amazing all the looks from the little people down on the ground was great. A quick fuel stop ($245.00) and on the road we go... first 50 miles or so were pretty ruff.. but as the tires and everything got warmed up it smooth out a bit. With 80mph speed limits and a truck doing 63 mph at 2100 it is a long trip from El Paso. We had the storm behind us the entire way, roads in front of us were dry and clear.....perfect timing made it back at about 1:30 am ( a few bathroom/food breaks on the way) Never shut the truck down 11 hours on the hour meter when I pulled in. Looked it over when we got home (noise coming from the motor) nothing major sounds like an exhaust manifold leak (looked at it today seems some compressions is coming out from around an injector) no problem easy fix. also seems to have a small leak from the right steering knuckle and front pinion seal nothing I can't handle. All in all I am very happy with the truck and the experience... can't wait to starting working on it ..... thanks again everyone for the help.. photos attached,I hope they stay in order.

IMG_0207.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0242.jpgoverspeed.jpg
Looking over the mileage it looks like I got right at 10 mph at 2100 rpms and 63mph pretty steady, there were hills and some steep up and down grades along the way...

Last edited:

Tornadogt

Now to the current updates. Yesterday I picked up a Deuce drop side bed, heavy tow bar, and hard top...This is today's work on starting to install the bed. I am very happy with the dimensions and proportions of the 12 foot bed on this Tractor frame. The plan is to install Bumperettes in the rear and reinstall the tire rack in the bed. I also picked up bows and a cover for the bed can't wait to see how it looks installed. I did have to remove the exhaust stack to slide the bed as far forward as possible and plan on reinstalling it just shifted over a bit and with out the muffler (it is a bit louder with the straight pipe under the truck now but I like it loud :grin: )

IMG_0267.jpgIMG_0268.jpgIMG_0275.jpgIMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0285.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0290.jpgIMG_0293.jpg

jw4x4

That truck sure looks good. Conversions of 939 tractors are getting very popular. I like them short and sweet. Excellent job! If you are wanting to get rid of the take-off tool box, shoot me a pm. Thanks.

jdknech

I am thinking about doing this to my M932, i really want a "command center" trailer to pull with it, but the funds are saying other wise.. I can get my hands on a drop-side bed for 300ish, and i have the top and bows left from my old deuce.. i really like the way your truck looks, and i'm very interested in how you run the exhaust! I would use a muffler on mine though.. i like loud, but not all the time.. it gives me a headache! and the 250 is VERY loud straight piped!

Tornadogt

Didn't get much done on the truck this weekend, but did go Monday and help a friend recover a M923A2 from RRAD Hooks, TX. Nice truck...

IMG_0313.jpg

I did do some planing and make a parts list need, to do the exhaust I would like to find an Air Intake bracket.
IMG_0300.jpg
The Pipe OD is 5 inch on the air intake and the exhaust it 4 and works out perfect to add a heat shield.
Next I was looking at the back and can't make my mind up to add the bumperettes or not what do you guys think??
IMG_0306.jpg
Then looking at the M923A2 we just picked up I really like the LED side Marker Lights.... so I am in need of 4 Amber and 2 Red LED side markers if anyone has any... also my truck came with 1 LED tail light and I would like to have the other...
IMG_0317.jpg

and finally I think we came up with something really great, under the bed on the 2 1/2 ton 12 footer the inner bed frame rails are clean with no supports..
now at the very front of the bed behind the cab the transfer case stick up above the frame rails, but it still allows for 10 1/2 feet 33 inch wide clean room to store 2, 2 1/2 thick 33 inch wide Ramps under the bed...
first photo is of the inside of a 5ton bed and this will not work.
IMG_0318.jpg
but this is the inside of the 2 1/2 ton bed.
IMG_0322.jpgIMG_0324.jpg
I will have to modify an access door and will probably need a Solider B to remove and reinstall them (i'm sure they will be heavy) but looks good to me..
I'm going to post the parts I need in the wanted forms but if anyone has what I need PM me Thank you.
Any input or suggestions ARE WELCOME
John.

Tornadogt

Csm Davis thanks for the tip, I tried to PM you but it says "Csm Davis has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
Just an FYI...

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Very well done. I am following your enhancements as I am doing more or less the same thing to my M931A2. I am trying to center the deuce 12 foot box so the the shelter tie downs will be centered between the rear axles the same way as they are on a deuce. I have a set of rear bumperetts and will try to just mount them on the existing frame. But I think the bumperetts will be way to short and will probably have to extend the frame. I extended the frame on my M818 when I put a M109 box on it. One thing I have to do is to cut out a little bit of the front box cross member to allow for the transfer hight as I am leaving the exhaust as it is. I put my 2 batteries down in the passenger side tool box and added another spring ride seat so I mounted the unused tool box/fuel can behind the cab.

Good work.........keep the pictures coming.

M931A2 2013-02-14 003.jpgM931A2 2013-02-14 002.jpgM931A2 2013-02-14 006.jpg

Tornadogt

Nice work Maccus, I like the Jerry can on top the tool box.... right now I am trying to source an Air intake Pipe to use as the Exhaust... by just cutting and turning the 2nd 90 180 deg. to make it a mirror Image of the Driver side. removing the inlet bonnet and add 90 on the top... making no muffler and a 5 inch exhaust (atleast from under the cab back.) with my bed almost touching the Inlet piping the 2 1/2 bumperettes are a bit short to hit the tailgate stops but I like the look, I would think with your bed position adding a bit of frame in the back would be a good idea... nice work so far keep us updated.

Also you could do something under the bed like I plan on adding ramps between the bed frame rails, a friend thought it would also be a great place to add liquid storage (fuel or water) or possible both with divided tanks.. lots of possibility for this space.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Nice work Maccus, I like the Jerry can on top the tool box.... right now I am trying to source an Air intake Pipe to use as the Exhaust... by just cutting and turning the 2nd 90 180 deg. to make it a mirror Image of the Driver side. removing the inlet bonnet and add 90 on the top... making no muffler and a 5 inch exhaust (at least from under the cab back.) with my bed almost touching the Inlet piping the 2 1/2 bumperetts are a bit short to hit the tailgate stops but I like the look, I would think with your bed position adding a bit of frame in the back would be a good idea... nice work so far keep us updated.

Also you could do something under the bed like I plan on adding ramps between the bed frame rails, a friend thought it would also be a great place to add liquid storage (fuel or water) or possible both with divided tanks.. lots of possibility for this space.
Sounds good. Good idea using the space under the box for storage. I do a lot of parades for the VFW and that space would be a good place to store a ladder. As most of the folks riding in the box are old farts like myself and a ladder is a necessity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks