• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overhead console, CB, stereo and VOX com set

Finely got around to buying a Voice activated com set. Decided as long as I had to install it might as well go all out.

So I built a Overhead console with a stereo, CB radio, Docking station for my android phone and the VOX controller.

The radio, Cb and android play through the headsets. If I find I use the Cb a lot I will wire it to work off the headset mics.

Also put in a cubby hole. A 300 watt power inverter and 12v plugs.

I had to jack up the caved in roof so there was room.

Then it was as easy as sliding it into place.

I have to finish up some wiring and build hangers for the headsets and its done.
IMG_20130130_110107.jpgIMG_20130130_110917.jpgIMG_20130130_142450.jpgIMG_20130131_141959.jpgIMG_20130131_142009.jpgIMG_20130207_144921.jpgIMG_20130207_145022.jpgIMG_20130207_145031.jpgIMG_20130207_145101.jpg

(Prov 12:4 [The World English Bible])
A worthy woman is the crown of her husband, but a disgraceful wife is as rottenness in his bones.

Last edited:

nlauffer

That looks great. Did you build it completely out of wood? All plywood or 1x? I was wanting to mount my vhf and uhf radio up high, but I have a fiberglass cab. I like the idea of this. I could put both radios, my 6 switch box, and siren switches all up there. How did you mount it? Or did I not look at the pictures close enough.

That looks great. Did you build it completely out of wood? All plywood or 1x? I was wanting to mount my vhf and uhf radio up high, but I have a fiberglass cab. I like the idea of this. I could put both radios, my 6 switch box, and siren switches all up there. How did you mount it? Or did I not look at the pictures close enough.
It sits on the lip of the roof over the doors. The front is 3/4 popular laminated to 3/4 plywood. Needed strength to carry the sagging roof. The bottom is 1/2 plywood. I am going to put a small angle bracket on the center windshield post and run a screw up into each end to secure it.

nlauffer

Thanks. Mine would be for a fire truck and will see some pretty rough ridin. I need it to be well mounted. I think what you are doing is a great addition. These trucks don't have alot of good placement for add ons.

nlauffer

Well it's official, I have to make one now. I really like how that turned out and I think it will work perfect for my application. Couple questions, though. What are the rough dimensions? Doesn't have to be specific, just for a starting point. How do you like the wood? The comment about aluminum sounds nice, but I have never welded aluminum. A couple of my firefighters can, though. Also, wood is more accessible in my neighborhood. Aluminum would be at least a 30 minute drive if they have any and possibly hour and a half. Thanks for the idea and I hope mine comes out as nice.

Maverick1701

This console idea is PERFECT for what I am looking to do. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

How "deep" is the console from front to back? It is difficult to tell in the pictures (it looks close to 8-10in).

Last edited:
This console idea is PERFECT for what I am looking to do. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

How "deep" is the console from front to back? It is difficult to tell in the pictures (it looks close to 8-10in).
9 3/4" deep. The only thing I would point out is in a bad wreck your head will slam right into it. I chose to risk it.

Thank for the complement.

John

Maverick1701

9 3/4" deep. The only thing I would point out is in a bad wreck your head will slam right into it. I chose to risk it.

John
thank you sir! I am going to attempt to build a similar design for my M35A2. thanks for the inspiration/design idea....I doubt I could have thought of that on my own.

Maverick1701

John
Disregard this post. I tested some cords and it (the port I was asking about) is a 3.5mm jack. I should have checked before asking.
I am slowly geting together all the pieces/parts for my version of your console.

I probably won't go the full 9.75 in deep but it is going to be pretty similar.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks