• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overhead console, CB, stereo and VOX com set

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So once you slid it in place how did you secure it in place on the sides? Or did it only secure to the center?

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to make something similar but have the ability to swing down so I can upgrade or change fuses.
There's a company that advertise here in the classifieds (out of CA) that makes a unit that mounts above your head between the seats. It's secured at front and back. I have plans to make my own using this location. What you want could easily be modded with hinges so it would swing down when needed.

My long term plans include rebuilding the cab roof to take weight so my overhead console will probably come after I do that.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a company that advertise here in the classifieds (out of CA) that makes a unit that mounts above your head between the seats. It's secured at front and back. I have plans to make my own using this location. What you want could easily be modded with hinges so it would swing down when needed.

My long term plans include rebuilding the cab roof to take weight so my overhead console will probably come after I do that.
I have seen a few fabed ones and a few manufactured ones (like you are talking about). Trouble is how much is going to hang down and be in the wife’s face, all be it she is short (5'3"). The over the windshield option seems best but that is going to be a lot of fab work.

The full plan is to mount a CB and a backup cam, maybe a cd player but not likely. As far as outlets etc I would like to mount USBs and cigarette outlets under the dash cluster. I just realized no one cares about this and I am rambling typing.

All I have to do is pull two screws, shift to passengers side and move to the rear enough to clear wiper motors. Then set drivers end on steering wheel and all is exposed.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just realized no one cares about this and I am rambling typing.
I doubt no one cares when it comes to these trucks. IMO there seems to be 2 camps, the people that restore and the people that don't. I frequently come up with ideas and if I can find that someone else has done it first, that'd be great to find, but if not you can always be first. I recently decided I wanted to put on bumper platforms but there's only a few posts out there so now there's one more added to the mix. Every little bit can help and inspire someone else.

The height on the cabs are pretty high. You could always fab something that used both spaces, or put everything on a panel behind and between the two seats. The cab is nothing if not roomy.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt no one cares when it comes to these trucks. IMO there seems to be 2 camps, the people that restore and the people that don't. I frequently come up with ideas and if I can find that someone else has done it first, that'd be great to find, but if not you can always be first. I recently decided I wanted to put on bumper platforms but there's only a few posts out there so now there's one more added to the mix. Every little bit can help and inspire someone else.

The height on the cabs are pretty high. You could always fab something that used both spaces, or put everything on a panel behind and between the two seats. The cab is nothing if not roomy.
As always great information! Also right now I am deployed so all I have to do is look through the forums and threads in my off time, so many ideas and so much searching/ asking questions to 6-8 year old threads. I have about a thousand ideas and list with pictures on what I want to do/ can do/ afford to do. My intention is not to go bob this truck and turn it into some flashy mini monster truck, but rather improve on the simple yet rock solid design. A few creature comforts to be sure but nothing crazy or outlandish.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few creature comforts to be sure but nothing crazy or outlandish.
That's exactly what I want to do, although I have some crazy and outlandish ideas too. I mean, I'd like to add some protection against small arms fire, but only if I can do it cheaply and without a lot of weight, but that's down the road...

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly what I want to do, although I have some crazy and outlandish ideas too. I mean, I'd like to add some protection against small arms fire, but only if I can do it cheaply and without a lot of weight, but that's down the road...
AR550 steel would work well, I would look into the old gun trucks from Nam. Some of them are really elaborate and somewhere slap dash welded armor like we did in Iraq.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AR550 steel would work well, I would look into the old gun trucks from Nam. Some of them are really elaborate and somewhere slap dash welded armor like we did in Iraq.
Steel is too heavy for my purposes. I thinking more along the lines of fabric. I'm aware of how expensive this could get, which is why it's down the road. There are also some alternatives to the tech that are always developing. My advantages are that the material can be bulky, but I need it relatively lightweight.

74M35A2

5 year old thread, and I usually pick on that, but this one was great, as I'm looking for the same in my 5t. I started with an extruded aluminum commercial door threshold, and only have a shelf so far, but need a 90 on the front to give it a mounting face.

TMG sells one, but is over $1,000, so I don't see that happening. Should be able to have one bent up on a brake easily if you know your dimensions. His use of wood was creative, easy to build and modify to exactly what he needs. He has it done and I don't.

nchittendon

We picked up a set of comms at the Oshkosh air show last year. I've got 4 clarke headsets, and the same comm box you've got.

IMG_20180729_102459.jpg

This was temporary mounting for the trip home.
IMG_20180729_151721.jpg

I plan to make an overhead console down the middle, but I wasn't sure how to mount the box and still have easy access to the battery compartment.
IMG_20180729_151727.jpg

You're set up looks great! How did you get the cell phone to work with the headsets? I haven't really messed with the box besides our four headsets.

Not for calls. The phone just has my music library in it. But as the com is designed also for radio communication so I am sure there is a way. Also I did a google search of the com part no and found a source for the power cord for com unit. Its nice not having to change batterys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks