• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New SS HELLO from MS, first purchase MV M925A1 any advice appreciated for recovery

Artisan

Boy that was tough Juan...

I had the luxury of a seasoned pro whom told me I needed
a CDL Class "B" w/ Air Brake attached as a minimum. I
took the advise and learned all about what to do and what
to have and what the law requires when you become
disabled on the roadways. Failure to put out triangles
and put them out right can land a guy on the receiving end
of a guilty determination by jury or judge should anyone
happen to slam into you and no triangles were put out.

I have triangles and flares and an orange reflective vest
onboard. I kinda think it is like this, there are 2 kinds
of guys whom drive used tactical MV's, those who have
broke and those whom are going to break!

Be Safe!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I knew better and have that covered now with 4 triangles and 9 flares plus my vest but since the truck said in running condition and the video showed it around the lot i thought it would be ok.............and never happen to me............

So much for thinking and that old saying about assuming.....

denelec06

Good thanks. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...IA-I40-recovery-M925A1-checklist-REVIEW-BY-SS This is my list that I have put together so far. Please add anything you feel is important or PM me about it I will add would be nice for new people to be able to access a list that is VERY easy to find for each specific MV for recoveries specially for new people. READING is great I agree but somethings the book just doenst say or you will be there for ages AND most of us arent retired enough to spend HOURS on it when all the kids and PEOPLE are running CRAZEE needing attention. I havent finished it all yet or reading BUT I am running out of time. I will be traveling for work the next few days wont have time to read DO not have a hard copy and no notebook. Can you tell me what TOOL I will need to check the axel fluid, bleed injectors, and drain the oil. Also what type of transmission fluid is in these trucks (the lube book has 3 different options it looks like?), what type fluid goes in the power steering? LOOKs like the same as the hydraulics I just dont want to start mixing things up I have a very long ways to go. I will have triangles for sure. LOTS of tools just need to know specifics of things if they are larger or abnormal tools. Thanks guys for the help. Juan I lived in Metarie for years my family is still there THANKS for the help.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To check the oil level in the differential pumpkins, I use a standard 1/2 ratchet as it fits directly into the female pipe thread plug. Also fits the transfer case.

The power stg is 10w oil but I would recommend using power stg oil to top off. It is the same weight and has anti foaming additives and will blend perfectly with whatever is in there.

Transmission fluid can be reddish and if so it is Dexron ATF. It can also be yellowish oil which is 10w. In the field they allow 15w40 oil to be substituted but I would not recommend it. 10w can be picked up a tractor supply store as they carry it. I would recommend just carrying dexron. It is almost the same viscosity as 10w but it has specific tranny additives. It will blend with whatever is in there. If you have 10w, that would be one of the first things you might want to change when you start doing pm. Many threads on the subject but the majority feel that Dexron gives you better shifting that is less harsh and the additives in dexron will help it last. Allison does now use a proprietary fluid that is expensive and hard to find. Dexron has been the mainstay of allisons for quite some time. 10w has no additives for clutches, internal parts etc.

Mine came with dexron already in it.

The oil drain plug on the pan is a standard hex nut, maybe 7/8 but I don't remember. You do not need any metric tools on this truck. Everything is standard. the oil drain plug on the canister holding the filter I think is a 3/8 ratchet female pipe thread.

I do not know on the injectors as I did not need to do that. Someone else knowledgeable can chime in.

When I lost prime, I changed filter and filled the hose and cranked and cranked and cranked and finally all was good. The primer pump in my mind is a joke and I never got fluid out of it even after I replaced the orings. The filter is not that common and I would pick one up but I think i saw that on your list. A very good wide throat funnel with a spout makes pouring the diesel in easier if you don't have a spout on the can. Another lesson learned when I lost prime. Everything tends to go on you, the ground, the truck basically everywhere but the fuel tank opening....

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your list,

The fuel filter is a canister filter no spin on. It is next to the air filter housing on the inside wheel well. One long 1/2 or 9/16 bolt.

The tire lugs are 1 1/2 and a bud socket for the inner but yours should have super singles as an A1. A small piece of chain with hooks to lift the tire with the chain fall and another to secure the chain fall to the davit arm. Most do not seem to have the pulley with the eyelet still on them as they are probably placed in the tool box and stripped clean when turned in.

denelec06

Juan great information. In LA do they give trip permits? I have looked on the MS dot sight but I only see for oversize loads commercial things etc. Really never heard of it before. WE always just go get what we want as long as we had the bill of sale / Invoice and proof of insurance? BUT I am traveling across 6 states 5 of which laws I am not sure about.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know. I never tried to get one as all I had was Insurance since I did not have a title or Registration. I never stop at a weigh station in La or Ms. I could not get a temp tag since I did not have paperwork. It is quite a catch 22. I just wore a tan t-shirt with Blue Jeans. I did not misrepresent myself but in the truck I "looked" the part. Leo think these are Military trucks. I of course also had my GL paperwork but no one has ever questioned or stopped me.

If you did go through a weigh station there is a much better chance that you will be questioned, inspected, harassed etc. I ran a distribution center for NAPA for 2 years and do not have high remark for these folks in either state and now the joint "ports". They claim to be "safety" oriented professionals but I really think they are a revenue stream for the states. I had one driver ticketed for a bad bulb on a clearance light in the corner of the box. i think it was a $250 pop. Another driver got a ticket for a radar detector packed with his personal items in a backpack. Ifta, fuel, driver logs etc. they are just looking for reason for big name brand on the side of a truck to pay them.

Many times I had uneven weight distribution on the axles because due to the weather, we sometimes had pallets of batteries and antifreeze to deliver to stores in freezing weather. It is very hard to distribute a load in a full 21 foot box truck when you have these very dense and heavy pallets with 10-15 stops per truck. Driver has to pay fine on the spot or no go. Can't tell you how many times in the middle of the night I had to pay fines with a credit card on the telephone to get a driver moving. Due to these pleasant experiences, I never go into a weigh station.

I have friends in Sheriff's office and a state trooper who told me I would never get looked at for a stop in this truck. Not like you can speed either. Have your headlights on and obey all traffic laws and I think you will be fine.

LOKI85

Welcome nice to see someone else from Ms. I'm in New Albany,Ms. I have a M35A2 there is also anther one of us in olive branch as well.

denelec06

HELLO everyone. Sorry it has taken so long to get back here. I did get the truck and drove 2150 miles without the first issue. We stoped at the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, and rode mostly back roads the whole way home. A very good trip. I think I may have averaged 6.25 MPG without he tarp on and 70PSI in the tires. iphone MONSTER 030.jpgiphone MONSTER 068.jpgiphone MONSTER 101.jpgiphone MONSTER 106.jpg My kids love it and they even get to ride to school in it now and then. The truck was in excellent condition and full of tools, jack, chains, hoses, etc. ALL I need now is new seat cover or cushions for the driver seat kinda rotted. If there is any help I can provide anyone please let me know. Thank you all for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks