• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Air Cleaner Update

Well, I finally had time to paint and install the air cleaner. This allowed me to fabricate the mount for it on the driver side of the ROPS.
I can now figure out how to route my air intake plumbing and get the right tubing and rubber elbows.
I also mounted the upper section of the engine hood to make sure that it cleared the air cleaner when opened.

There are some pics.....

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap that's a big air filter... Just a curiosity question, any reason why you didn't mount the intake higher to get clean air from over the cab? or face out like a MTV?

agazza2

Looks great. Sometimes it is good to have a little time in between each time you work on your project. I know for me, it helps to thoroughly think through what I want to do. Keep up the excellent work, and posts.

Hoefler

Well, I finally had time to paint and install the air cleaner. This allowed me to fabricate the mount for it on the driver side of the ROPS.
I can now figure out how to route my air intake plumbing and get the right tubing and rubber elbows.
I also mounted the upper section of the engine hood to make sure that it cleared the air cleaner when opened.

There are some pics.....[/QUOTE
For the piping, try this website http://www.h-pproducts.com/catalog-parts-3845
They produce tubing and fittings (metal) and have short radius formed elbows. Couplings too.
Your project is looking great-looks factory.
Pete

mendo

It looks good! I do think the exhaust should be a bit taller or bend it out the side so it doesn't soot up the ROPS or the back of the engine bay.

Ford Mechanic

Hey can I get any up close pics of your spare tire davit mounting? And where does it piviot or what allows it to? Looking to mount a 5 ton spare tire davit on my M35 and looking at ideas. I would like it to turn around at least 90*. Your truck looks great!

M920

Hey guys!
Sorry about the delay in updates but I had to work on money-making jobs again...aua

Anyway, I'm back on the FEMTT project and hopefully this time I can get it at least operational.

I got the muffler in and I'm working on the plumbing for the air cleaner and the exhaust. I'm also fabricating the aluminum side covers for the engine compartment. I will take some pics this weekend....

Soni

grunex125

Soni, your project looks great! some time I'd like to see this one up close. I can see some real innovaton here and the possibility of other applications in addition to the ones you mentioned. Logging industry comes to mind as a forwarder, Ag comes to mind in several applications simply by doing what you've done and just changing out the implements on the back. (seed and chemical tender for ex) All I can say is you've got a goldmine of possibilities here!!!!!

M920

Well....I finally got a few more things done....

After much debating and changing my mind I finally decided to NOT install the 45,000# drag winch between the crane and the engine doghouse. I just don't want all that additional weight on the front axle. In addition the cable routing over the top of the folded knuckle boom crane was anything but ideal.

The new design calls for the hydraulic tank to be mounted where the winch was originally located at.
This means that one of my DP 45,000# winches will be permanently mounted on the front of the 'fifth wheel module' and the other DP 45,000# winch will be mounted on the front of the 'flat bed module'. They will be connected to the FEMTT's wet kit via a couple of hydraulic quick couplers.
I don't think that I will need a drag winch with the 1200 gallon 'tank module'.
After all the FEMTT will still have the side mounted DP 20,000# self recovery
winch if things really go heywire.....8)

The photos show the winch control console with the hydraulic tank mounted instead of the winch. I had to do some modifications to the plumbing in order to make it all work. One of the things that I really wanted to improve was the routing of the hydraulic sucktion lines from the tank to the pump.
When I tried to take the original lines off their 1 1/2" hose barbe fittings they where of course stuck and it made a huge mess and drowsed me from head to toe in hydraulic fluid when they finally popped off!

So on the new installation I opted for hydraulic screw on barb fittings. This allows me to just simply unscrew the big sucktion hoses without having to try to yank them off the barb fittings.:-D

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

So the UPS man brought some more 'goodies' last week, which enabled me to 'almost' complete the air intake system and the exhaust.
Colorado (right next door to me) requires trucks to have a muffler in order to be able to use their Jake-brake. So I had to find room for it in the already cramped quaters around the doghouse.
I opted to use the same location as on the HEMTT, and mount it transverse behind the doghouse, just below the roof line.
I had to reverse it from the HEMTT's orientation and have the exhaust discard on the passenger instead of the driver side. If mounted exhausting to the driverside, it would have blown right in to my face when manning the winch console. Not ideal by any means....:shock:

I also fabricated the two 'wings' to cover the side of the radiator recess in the back of the cab. I drilled a row of holes in to them to help evacuate the hot air from the back of the radiator.

Here are some pics.....

Attachments

M920

Today I finished the driver side engine hood. I still have to add the rubber latches and the gas strut that holds the hood in the open position when servicing the engine. I made the section on the rear stationary so I can run the hose from the air cleaner through it.
Tomorrow, after the paint has completely dried, I should be able to finally hook up the rest of the air intake system.

Well, it is slowly starting to resemble a truck again....:naner:

Attachments

M920

Soni, your project looks great! some time I'd like to see this one up close. I can see some real innovaton here and the possibility of other applications in addition to the ones you mentioned. Logging industry comes to mind as a forwarder, Ag comes to mind in several applications simply by doing what you've done and just changing out the implements on the back. (seed and chemical tender for ex) All I can say is you've got a goldmine of possibilities here!!!!!
First of all, thanks to everybody for the votes of confidence! It sure helps that you guys here keep me going with all your encouraging comments!
I'll be honest, there where times this summer that I did get pretty frustrated with not having this truck done already.
I really hate it when a projects "drags out" this long....... :(

Anyway, grunex125, I had a guy from the local oil/gas industrie in Farmington make suggestions, as to the possible use of this type of vehicle in the oil fields.
The problem I see, is that the supply of new Mk48 cabs is very limited and will dry up quickly. So not sure how to deal with that....

But then maybe I should wait and see if the truck even works out the way I'm hoping it to, before I make big plans for it!:whistle:

Thanks again everybody!!!!

Soni

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although the surplus MK48 cab supply may dry up, I'm sure the OEM cabs will "always" be available at NEW prices.

If the project is worthy and a reasonable cost/benfit study justifies production..... Go for it!!!

IMHO, the oilfield NEEDS to have some cool trucks too :-D8):driver:

M920

Although the surplus MK48 cab supply may dry up, I'm sure the OEM cabs will "always" be available at NEW prices.

If the project is worthy and a reasonable cost/benfit study justifies production..... Go for it!!!
IMHO, the oilfield NEEDS to have some cool trucks too :-D8):driver:

Hmm....I basically agree with you....the problem I see though is that the tag on the new Mk48 cab showed the original purchase price from Oshkosh to be $25835.70 for just the cab!

I'm afraid that this would make for a very expensive truck......:roll:

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks