• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poppop,s M37 restore thread

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Lloyd, it is hard to believe that is the same Ol' Blue that I saw heading out last year in the pouring rain!
m37 load.jpg
You and Efrain have done some amazing work and I am so glad it went to a good home. I can see that I definitely need to add the Ga rally to my travel plans - can't wait to see the finished product.
Chad

Last edited:

poppop

Hey Chad

Its great to hear from you, I had not seen you post in a long time and was afraid you had dropped out. Yes, it has come a long way but was in great shape to work on. We had two inches of rain over the weekend so is to wet to work in the fields so I hope we can finish most of the painting. I opened the box of tubes and flaps yesterday and am just curious, it had six tubes and one flap in it. Is that what you thought you had or did they mess up the order?? I was going to mount tires but found out we had not flipped the rims and painted the inside, so will do that today.

3dAngus

To windy to do any painting today after all these storms. I just love the farm. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely be a farmer. And yes, I do know of the hazards and risks.

Lloyd, I guess I'm just going to have to make that two hour drive to buy my vegetables. That truck is looking fantastic, and words from Storm51 come to mind. Take it down and do it right the first time. Unfortunately, I don't have the space, tools, or money to do it all right now. My truck is looking fine right now and coming along very good, but I could not hold a candle to you. Just getting it ready for preservation for the next time. Removing rust and paint does wonders.

Congratulations. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Also, keep in mind, you have the choice between the Superlugs and the 9X16 NDTs now days. You can get either by buying a M101A1 trailer or two and removing the wheels.

My M-37 ended up with some like new wheels and tires (Superlugs) from my trailers, and still have a period correct trailer to put on the back of the M-37, but moved the 9X16 NDTs to the trailer. The paint job on my wheels, while looking fairly good, will not compare with a complete stripping, priming and painting like yours. Just fantastic!

poppop

Thanks Dell

I just checked the weeks forecast and looks like it will be to cold to paint until the end of the week. Its a shame to waste all the wet weather when we can't be in the field and now can't paint.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poppop. Just came across this thread I am currently restoring a 1945 Dodge WC51 so I know the work involved. I thought I was taking too much time and I know Zout thinks I am a slacker :-D but I am particular. I now realize that my work doesn't quite measure up to your results. I will be following this one closely.

TWM

zout

Oblige me to correct someone Lloyd - TWM - being pressed hard to show your true skills is one thing - for me to tease you with calling ya a slacker to get you to show
those true skills I will do it all day long. Others that have not honed those skills or have it in them - I would in no way tease them - but I know you have it in you to
make that WC an awesome piece.

And to bring us back onto the thread of Lloyd - he just hides behind the bushes as I know he can to it anyhow - but its an adventure reading and watching his thread
as he memorizes ya all. Lloyd - I want a bumper sticker that says "Poppop is my HERO" you make the world rock - awesome work by both of you.

poppop

TWM, I am sure your work is every bit as good as mine and probably better. I don't think I deserve Zout's praise but I think he is using phycology to make me do a good job. This truck was in such great shape I wanted to do the best job I could to preserve it for a long time. I think I am doing that and am enjoying the work, althrough I am going much further than I intended to in the begining.

I made small progress over the weekend. The tool box tray was full of holes on one end so I fiberglassed it and it looks good. One headlight ring had holes rusted through it so it was fiberglassed on the underside and will bondo the outside. We had missed painting the inside of the wheels and since we were outside the 72 hour painting period I sanded them. The fenders had some pits in them so bondo was skimed over, sanded and more added where needed, sanded and spot putty applied to the minor imperfections. With the final sanding as Zout says they are as smooth as a baby's butt.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, poppop and twm...great American heroes...and I am proud to call all of them Brothers!!

When I get big I hope I can hand them tools or an air line or sumpin!!

Seriously though, poppop that truck is coming together in your usual outstanding fashion!

Attachments

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Chad

Its great to hear from you, I had not seen you post in a long time and was afraid you had dropped out. Yes, it has come a long way but was in great shape to work on. We had two inches of rain over the weekend so is to wet to work in the fields so I hope we can finish most of the painting. I opened the box of tubes and flaps yesterday and am just curious, it had six tubes and one flap in it. Is that what you thought you had or did they mess up the order?? I was going to mount tires but found out we had not flipped the rims and painted the inside, so will do that today.
Yep - they were short on flaps when I placed that order. Hopefully someone has a good type in stock now. On the tubes, the difference is in the valve stem - I was trying to find the right style of stem that didn't project so far and get caught on everything. The two radials that are mounted have the best style that I was able to find.

Also, I had to laugh at the picture of y'all breaking the old tires down. That was almost the same process we used at the tire shop. The radials came from John Winslow on LAV rims with run flats and we tried every trick in the book to slide the run flats out without damaging the tire. They were so tight that the tire guys were worried about damaging the bead so they finally resorted to a sawzall - after a good cussing the older guy said he was going back to working on skid steers and log skidders since they were easier!
Chad

poppop

Made some more progress yesterday and today. Everything is finished painted except the cab, doors and bed and a few other small parts. Had to go buy more paint. This thing should last forever. Maybe can make more progress now, had an epidural shot in my back today, it has been killing me for several months. I can't stay on my feet for long. There is a small bone broke in my back where I had surgery 10 years ago. When I stand up the broken bone slides up and presses on the nerve. I did not think the shot was going to do any good but it is kicking in now and I feel good. I will just have to see how long it lasts. I still have a few of zout's cherries in the fridge, think I will have a couple and speed the shot along.

zout

Poppop - ever watch the movie the Matrix - its the only time you want to take a RED PILL (sorta look like cherries). They are called Enhancers. Dr. Zout out.

poppop

Pictures from the last two days. Floor pan and tool box doors, fenders, transfer case, many small parts and one wheel with the inside painted. All the wheels are done and ready for tires which they will get soon so we can mount them on the frame and start putting it back together. Hope I can remember where all those parts go.:roll:

100_2751.jpg100_2759 (Small).JPG100_2758 (Small).JPG100_2757 (Small).JPG100_2756 (Small).JPG100_2755 (Small).JPG100_2754 (Small).JPG100_2753 (Small).JPG100_2752 (Small).JPG100_2760 (Small).JPG

poppop

Its really what you need when you have many small parts to paint. We like to be able to spray for several hours when we paint and with this paint you can apply four coats in the same day. It just requires 30 minutes between coats but you can wait upto 72 hours before you need to scuff it for recoating. We usually try to have enough parts hanging to spray two coats of primer one day and two coats of color the next.

poppop

Well I have the hood ready for primer again. It had lots of rust pits that had to be filled. I did it with bondo which was a lot of work. My paint dealer did not carry high build epoxy primer which zout told me to use so I did it the hard way. I have spent a lot of time on the tailgate which required a lot of metal replacement. I am trying to hide a lot of the patchwork that was done by someone else and just make it look decent and blend in the work I did.

This project is going to get slowed down tremendously. I had a shot in my back last Friday to relieve the pain and the Doctor said it should last 3 months. Well it lasted 2 days and on my follow up visit today he set up surgery for the 18th. He is going to fuse three vertibra in my lower back. I will be house bound for 1 to 2 weeks and then 6 weeks just able to drive and supervise the farm. Efrain will have his hands full just keeping the farm going so I don't expect much to get done on the truck. I do hope to get the hood and cab painted before I get layed up but we will see.

zout

That shot stuff reminds me of someone else here to help ease the pain - Man I totally feel for ya and you know were with you on this one. The project is not a moving object and will always be there for when you can get back to it to give it your undivided attention. Too bad on the filler primer - would have saved you gobs of time with filling and having to add a substrate to the surface. Being Epoxy and a bonding cover it would have just been another way to do it if you could have. You'll see the stuff on PB's WC when I finally get to it. I would now start another paragraph but my enter button is Fubared - bear with me. If I need to take a trip SouthEast to help give me a heads up.

Lloyd, I hate to hear about your back. On the bright side, hopefully the surgery will provide you the relief that you need and solve the problem for once and for all.

My sentiments are the same as Zout's. If there is anything I can do to help you out let me know. I'll actually be in Statesboro briefly this weekend for a wedding. Due to the wedding commitments I may not have enough time this trip to help you out much physically but if you need anything brought down from the Atlanta area or if you just want me to bring yall some lunch, let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks