• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning Radius, M939 Series: W/O Winch vs. W/Winch

hendo

According to the operator's manual for the M939 series (TM 9-2320-272-10, 31 July 2012), the turning radius (TR) is significantly different between models w/o winch vs. w/winch. For example, the M931 has a published TR of 46', whereas the M932 is blessed with a TR of 31' (pgs 2-12,13).

I'm fairly new to the MV game, but this doesn't make sense. I've been seriously considering an M931, as I don't want the winch. However, if the M932 does indeed have such a significantly better TR, that would make it the one to pursue.

Is this really the case or is the TM in error?

hendo

Yeah, that's what I figured - unless, for some bizarre reason, the non-winch models have different steering assemblies. It was that or the specs are in error. Before dismissing the manual outright, I figured I better check.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There IS a difference between "turning radius" and "turning circle"-also known as turning sweep. It is different between the two trucks when you are talking about turning circle, not turning radius. I haven't gone and looked at the TM (sorry) but I am assuming from a past life, that the difffernce is in the swept area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks