• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I honestly love getting buzzed but give me some notice....

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go again....B17 but too far away to see much else. The bino's were just inside the door but el swifto didn't think about them until after the fact--DUH.
Ya know, Brother CARNAC.... They DO make neck straps for both binoculars AND cameras. Fanny packs are no longer the most fashionable option, but a motivated picture-snapper could demean themselves to preclude any future missed photo ops (would that be photo-oops?). Heck, what's a little nerdiness gonna cost you for the praise you'd recieve from your fellow pic-hounds here @ SS???

nopicsnopics

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buzzing aircraft ID

We rarely see them in the air here this time of year, you're fortunate. With the number of flights you're seeing, might be time for 24 hour video. 8)

I was forced to work at our museum again today and it's a good fix for the flight addiction. Grabbed a couple of bottom shots so we can practice up on aircraft ID.
I'm sure lots of guys can ID aircraft just by the sound before they even see them, but lets see how we do up close.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aircraft ID

OK, let me take a shot. First is a C46. Second is a De Havilland Mosquito. Third is a B25. How's that?
From the guy that already knew the answer before the questions are asked, you are both fast and educational.

The B-25 is still in the works and the mosi is on static.

I just had to get an aircraft fix.....waiting for your pictures!!!:beer:

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
AWSV.jpgI guess I could get a job in the AWS as a volunteer observer....in 1941.

My weaker area is the WWII Soviet Yaks and Migs. Not sure if I could get the Yak 1 vs 9 vs whatever correct.

ECR CUCV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO I CAN GET MY CAMERA!!!

This past weekend Fi FI the B29 was in the air over El Paso (took off from the airport)....no camera.

A few minutes ago 3 P-51's and a P-38 all took off together from the airport....no camera. This was my first time seeing and hearing a P38. I'm sure it was the first one off the strip and when it came over (with the P51's right behind) I knew it was a high performance engine but couldn't place it. Got it locked in the brain now. The dual sound of the P38 and P51 together threw me for a curve until I realized it was 4 aircraft not just 1. Man I love this place.

Since being here for thepast 6 months I've been buzzed by F/A 18, T38s, Guppy, Atlantis on piggyback of a 747, F-15 (I think--it wasdark), AH64, AH1, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Dang it, give me warning so I can grab the camera before you're gone.
That sounds awesome!

About 10 years ago or so I was getting my Private Pilot Licence at a small airport in Westfield MA. On my very first solo flight(outside the pattern), I was contacted by Westfield Air Asking me to continue on my current heading and altitude and watch for traffic passing 500ft below and to the west. I did so and got to see a P-51, F-100 and F-16 in formation. They were practicing for the " Heritage of Flight " fly by at the the ANG Base. It was the coolest thing I've seen.
I'd get a video cam set up, sounds like you can get some great vids.

Here are a few pics we have been scanning from my fathers album

Dad 1951.jpg
Dad 3.jpgDAD 2.jpg

Heath_h49008

Is that a flyable Mosquito? I thought they were all grounded/static and a few "in restoration"... but that bird looks almost flyable aside from the lack of drip pans/oil spots.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran when parked. This one was not restored flyable....and only money keeps it grounded.

Can't find the main link but there is one flying..... and more to come I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydoBsKVWws

Here's a mosi link, http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito.html

......and this FAQ sheet which appears updated Nov 2012, states that none are currently flying so until I see one fly, I don't know anymore.

Q. Are there any Mosquitoes still flying?
Q. When will the next Mosquito fly?

A. Unfortunately at the moment there are no Mosquitoes left in flying condition. The last example, a T.III, RR299, crashed at Barton in the UK on 21st July 1996 killing both aboard. For images of RR299 before she crashed, please see the 'donated files' page.
There are a small number of Mosquitoes which may fly again in the future, for example Bob Jens's B.35 VR796/CF-HML located in Canada, or The Fighter Factory's FB.26 KA114 which is currently under restoration at Avspecs.
It is anticipated that at least one, if not both, of the above Mosquitoes will fly in 2011.

Must add this ride along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfQQWOsoB8

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Got buzzed again. B17 and a P51. God I love this place. Heading out to the end of the airfield and hoping to get a picture---if and when they fly over again.

Jeepsinker

We still have UH-1s fly over here every once in a while. Also get Apaches, Blackhawks, Chinooks, various fighter planes. It's always cool when the helos fly over at low altitude once I figure out that they aren't coming to visit me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks