• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

FrankUSMC

If you ever make it up the road to North Carolina, stop in. I have 3 military fire trucks, plus military fire extengusers, to include a Pre WWII flight line extenguser.
I spent 16 of my 20 years in Crash fire rescue in the Marines. I am trying to get one of my fire trucks up and restored now for our re-union this fall. Last re-union, I took my WWII Marine FFN crash truck, this year I am taking a M530C, if I can get it finnished in time.
One of the few, Frank

tamangel

I know this is an old post but, I have a friend (actually the first link in this thread) who is asking about IHC M3L4 and M3H4 rigs? Before he gets registered on these forums, he asked me a question.. Maybe someone can answer:

I sent him pic's of these trucks in the Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles 1940-1965 on pages 73-74..any help would be appreciated..

"Can you give any info on the pumps in these rigs, make, type, output and drive? Have seen a picture of the 3/4 ton 4x4 IHC Navy/MC rig with the pump housing doors open. The picture suggests a multi piston piston pump."

Also, is there a list of SS folks who have Military fire trucks from WW2 somewhere..Or can we put the info here as a resource for people interested in these rigs w/ info and pic's?
Nice to have it in one place maybe..
Mike

Jetnoise400

tamangel said:
"Can you give any info on the pumps in these rigs, make, type, output and drive? Have seen a picture of the 3/4 ton 4x4 IHC Navy/MC rig with the pump housing doors open. The picture suggests a multi piston piston pump."

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'll take a crack at this for you. The pump on mine is a John Bean Royal 55, and it's a 3 piston high pressure unit. It's rated at 60gpm max capacity, and 700psi max. These trucks were made to spray a high pressure fog at low volume.

Hope that helps.

tamangel

1938 GM 3 ton 6X6 model 4929

wondering if anyone can add and info or has any other pictures of this type:
curious about pump model, spec's and capacities...didnt have access to that compartment...pretty well over grown as you can see but mostly still there....

data plate info: (pic below)
GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK
DESIGNATION OF VEHICLE: 3 TON - LC - 6X6
SUPPLY ARM OR SERVICE: QM CORPS
MODEL: 4929
SERIAL NO.: 013
DEL DATE: 3? 19? 38? (? marks are mine-meaning best
guess on #'s)
GROSS WEIGHT: 14950
MAX PAYLOAD W/O TRAILED LOAD: 6000
MAX PAYLOAD W/ TRAILED LOAD: 4750
MAX SPEED: 48
MAX TRAILED LOAD: 9000
ENGINE LUBRICANT RECOMMENDED
SUMMER S.A.E. NO: 30
WINTER S.A.E. NO: 10W
OCTANE RATING: 68
YELLOW TRUCK & COACH MFG
PONTIAC MICH

Mike

further info found:
The 4929 had the GMC/Chevrolet small cab from 1937-38. It used the GMC/Chevrolet 4 speed like the WW2 Chevy and had a 223 cid Oldsmobile flathead engine with Timken axles and xfercase.

Attachments

tamangel

WWII 1945 USAAF CCKW 6X6 1945 U.S. AAF Crash/Fire truck

The seller on eBay gave me permission to put his truck photos on the forum for history sake..Anyone have any further questions, advise and I'll ask him.. the URL is listed in a seperate thread..

description:
This is a rare WWII 1945 USAAF CCKW 6X6 1945 U.S. ARMY AIR FORCE Crash/ Fire Truck. This type truck was used on Army Air Force runways during WWII. It has the original front bumper that was given to it during 1945, it was larger so it could push damaged aircraft off of runways. She is a strong runner! The Darley 500 GPM Centrifugal Pump works. This truck has recently been media blasted and new coats of war paint with markings were applied.

At one time she was U.S. Air Force blue but the Army Green was clearly seen as the original coat.(Some of the blue can still be seen on the undercarriage along with the original Green).

Everything works on this truck with the exception of the gas gauge. Recent tune-up with new plugs, points, condenser, wires, battery, fan belt, etc,etc... The oil pressure is great! The lights and signals work. Very little needs to be done to make this an exceptional parade or show vehicle.

It comes with all hoses and nozzles that are seen in pictures. Included is the large siren that goes on the truck (works great, loud!).

Attachments

tamangel

Military Vehicles magazine articles..

video looks great..

here's MV mag's issues dealing with fire trucks:

Fire Trucks
Review, Book German Firefighting Vehicles in WWII (Foedrowitz) No. 61 Pg. 26
Historic vehicles Military Fire Trucks of WWII, Part 1 No. 59 Pg. 22
Historic Vehicles Military Fire Trucks of WWII, Part 2 No. 60 Pg. 23

issue # 95
February 2003
page 85 Military Class 530 Fire Trucks

does anyone have access to the MVPA's publications that could list the articles on Fire Trucks in Army Motors and Supply Line?

Mike

tamangel

re: this photo, I emailed Jim ( first web site link in this thread ) and he came back with the following info on the truck photo submitted on another thread by DDoyle:

This is a CLASS 335 6x6. See my website for particulars
( http://www.maui.net/~r11/firetruck-id/index.html ). How do I
know it is a 335? The HVIN starts with a 4 which tells me truck was at its birth
a 2-1/2 6x6 cargo truck without winch. The cargo bed was removed and
replaced with a fire truck body. While this truck looks like the CLASS 530 it
is different in the HVIN (335 - 4, 530 - 5) different pump output (335 -
300GPM, 530 - 500GPM) different in wheels and tires (335 - 10 7.50x20,
530 - 6 11.00 x 18).

50 of the conversion body for the 335 were ordered in March 1945. How
many, if any, more were ordered is not known to me..

Thanks Jim..

Note: This guy is very knowledgeable and has many contacts if anyone needs any answers on WW2 engines or right around that period..

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks