• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

SpookyDad

RE: fire truck 530b

I have just aquired what I believe to be a 335 fire truck. I will be converting it into a German radio van. SO I don't need the pump or piping. Is anyone interested in buying just the pump assembly?

The auction is here: http://tinyurl.com/4lt5s5

SpookyDad

tamangel

1943 GMC 2.5 (2-1/2) duce half 1/3 Exterior /running gear

a military fire truck researcher friend of mine commented on this truck:
"This was a rebuild of a GMC CCKW 6x6 from a cargo truck into a CLASS 530 fire truck mounting on the front bumper a Darley F-500 (500 GPM @ 120 PSI) centrifugal pump."

Description from the ebay ad:
1943 GMC 2.5 (2-1/2) duce half 6x6 army fire truck
Running, driving condition 6x6 that was originally an army truck, then used for years as a water pumper truck for a volunteer fire department. Water pump with gauges mounted on front of motor. Did have a water tank on back but now no longer has a bed (water lines for tank are still present). All ten tires hold air, motor starts and runs like a dream. Transmission and gear boxes all work. Breaks need some TLC, leaks fluid over time. Emergency break works great.

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

1943 CHEVROLET MILITARY FIRE TRUCK

ebay auction ended unknown if sold @ $6K start price: 30 June 2008
"1943 CHEVROLET MILITARY FIRE TRUCK NATIONAL SHOW WINNER
Vehicle Description2001 MVPA National Award winner at the military vehicle show at Fort Lee, Virginia, Combat Class. I have had this 1943 Chevy fire truck for nearly 20 years. It is the best military vehicle I have ever owned and I have had a few. It can sit for months and start right up. As noted it won the national award at Fort Lee for combat class, 1 1/2 ton vehicles. Combat Class (or Motorpool) means that it looks nice but is not a perfect restoration. I spray painted this over an old brush paint job that makes the texture looks a little rough, but is still nice considering they did that all the time during WWII. The interior is nice, all original. The back of the seat at the top has some tears as this is still original from WWII. the seat bottom was redone in leather many years ago. The hydrovac does not work, but you can still drive it, you just have to stand on the brakes to lock it up. The engine runs great. Wehn I bought this, I drove it the next day 285 miles to my home in Virginia. Several accessories are included, ladder, axes, etc. This truck was kept inside or under roof most of its life, It is in really great condition and never had any serious rust, just some surface rust underneath. It is not painted under the hood. There are some minor issues such as the lights do not always come on because the headlight switch has built up a patina inside. The siren is not hooked up but does work. No wiper blades. But overall it is a great truck and seen many parades and displays. It always catches attention. You may need to do a little minor work but it will be worth it. This truck has a good history, traced back to the 1950s. The hood number was found under several layers of paint. The Mechanicsburg part on the door, I added, but that was where it was bought from the Navy in the '50s. My last photo shows this truck, not one like it, but this very truck inside the cover of the Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles."

info I was given:
"The truck appears to a CLASS 325 4x2 on a civilian Chevy cab and chassis and mounting a Darley F-300 (300 GPM) centrifugal pump.

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

Attachments

tamangel

1990 DA-1500 OSHKOSH ARFF

ebay auction ended 4 July 08, one bid @ $50K..Sold

Vehicle Description:
You are bidding on a beautiful 1990 DA-1500 OSHKOSH ARFF with a 1500 gallon water tank, 220 gallon foam, and 250 lbs of dry kem. Equipped with a 6V92TA Detroit Allison engine with automatic transmission. Truck is currently in shop for new paint, has only 10,000, miles, cold A/C, and is fire ready! Comes with two, 250 feet booster lines, truck is located in Townsend, GA.

Mike

original price @ Firehouse 66 was $135K

additional info from web search:
http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?blueprints/trucks/oshkosh/14439/view/oshkosh_da_1500/

Attachments

tamangel

Brush Breaker

or just ask me about it, as I was formerly a firefighter for that dept and had some small experience with breaker 462
so Ranger, tell us about the truck and your experiences with this deuce as a brush breaker..Mods beyond front 'breaker bars'?

Mike

Attachments

Jetnoise400

Re: IHC FFN-3 crash truck @ Barstow Truck

tamangel said:
early 40's IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (correct?) @ Barstow Truck Parts & Equipment..

http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/fro...c36a-44c5-83da-cbf2a6b02066&item=256500&ind=2

any further spec's and info on this rig?

Mike
That is indeed an early 40's IHC FFN-3 crash truck. IHC BLD-269 straight 6 gas engine, 5 speed crashbox trans, John Bean pump. I've got one all apart in my garage being restored right this very minute. Wish I could pick that one up to cherry pick some good parts... looks pretty complete too.

What do you want to know about them?

RangerJake72

Re: Brush Breaker

tamangel said:
or just ask me about it, as I was formerly a firefighter for that dept and had some small experience with breaker 462
so Ranger, tell us about the truck and your experiences with this deuce as a brush breaker..Mods beyond front 'breaker bars'?

Mike

the truck was a Kaiser 5 ton, LWB , acquired by the Sandwich Fire department as FEPP surplus in 1980, it was rebuilt by department personnel with 5" custom breaker bars, 1000 gallon steel water tank, custom enclosure around the tank for firefighters to ride during operations. the original engine went bad sometime in the early 90's and was replaced with a Mack turbo diesel and replacement transmission (and a bad job at that)
trucks like this are used extensively in Southeastern Massachusetts and parts of Long Island and the New Jersey Pine Barrens. for some more pictures and details of ex-military chassis go to: http://capecodfd.com/ and go to the special features page and look under the brush Breakers Page

tamangel

USAF P4 / Oshkosh M1500 fire truck

1976 Oshkosh M1500 fire truck (ebay auction ended/no bids/start $9999.00 July 2008)
Oshkosh crash / rescue fire truck , built for the U.S. Air force in April of 1976 . carries 1500 gallons of water , and 180 gallons of foam , with 2 water cannons , and one 1 1/2 inch hose real under the front bumper . the truck is 6X6 with air lockers and top loaders , great off roader!

An additional comment:
-Great looking rig. I use to be a trainer on these crash/rescue trucks in the Air Force. THis one was called the P-4 and was the fastest rig the AF had with a great Cat engine.

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks