• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

FrankUSMC

On the WWII Marine/Navy crash trucks. I spent most of my time in the Marines in Crash Crew. At one time I had 3 WWII Marine fire trucks here, now, I am down to 2.
Ok, lets correct some of the stuff in the above post.
The Marine /Navy crash truck on the 1 1/2 ton 4x4 chassie (M3-4) was called a FFN-3 crash truck. It had a water tank and a smaller tank that held foam. I have never seen or heard of a 1 1/2 ton Marine/ Navy CO2 truck, no saying they did not have any,but I have never seen photos or heard any WWII Marines talk of them.
I have also never seen photos of a Marine 3/4 truck fire truck, or heard of one. At our next re union I will ask the old Corp Marines if they remember one. The Marines had a 1/2 ton 4x4 called a M1-4 and a 1 ton 4x4 called a M2-4. I have never seen or heard of either truck with fire fighting gear on them.
One more note here on crash trucks, on my 1944 FFN crash truck, I have never done any thing to it other than paint it red for Christmas and put Santa driving it. Now it is parked in one of the fields. The other day while looking at it, I noticed the paint had peeled under the wind shield, and there in all it's glory was the unit markings!!!! The unit was MWSG-27, this unit is out of MCAS Cherry point, the unit I retired out of!!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

FrankUSMC

Boomer
I got the one a couple of weeks ago, but I could not answer it because I lost all my PMs. I also got the one today. I replyed back to you today, so what ever you asked before, just ask again.Take care.

tamangel

1973 m45a2

ebay item # 260322747971
auction end w/no bids
start price was $5500.00 (reserve not met)

Military 6 X 6 Fire Truck - 1973 AM General Model FT-750 M45A2 Frame (N.S.N. 2320-00-077-1622)
truck starts and runs well. All lights work as should. Body in good shape. Tank holds water.
Motor: Multifuel LDT-465 Turbo 6 Cylinder
Front Axle: Selectable ON - OFF
Tank: Water - 400 Gallon / Foam - 40 Gallon

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

Converted: 1952 Kaiser 2.5 ton 6x6 Studebaker water tender

ebay item # 320319327324
auction ended, buy it now price was $8000.00 w/1 offer, unknown if sold

Vehicle Description

1952 Kaiser 2.5 ton 6x6 Studebaker watertender convertible fire truck, Continental Refurbished in 1987, lds 465 deisel, 210 hp, 478 cu in, 5 speed forward , 2 speed transfer case

Has 6 cylinder diesel 210 hp pump motor with Watrous water pump model cgrt, capacity 500 gpm@150 psi

Runs Great Cherry, Winchworks off PTO , tires in good condition, Ready to roll, top speed 55.

Mike

Born OK the first time..

Attachments

jimmcld

Red bulbs

With all the knowledge of fire trucks, does anyone know where to find 24v, red bulbs. I'm looking for the 4" sealed beams for our parade vehicles.

Jim
VVA920

HSFDChief600

Deatsville Fire Dept

The Deatsville Fire Department in Alabama has one of the best looking military tankers in our county. It is a converted fuel truck and most of the modifications were done in house.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Mike
On the last page you asked if any one knew what the first three trucks were. The first two are Marine/Navy FFN-3s.

firedude

I collect Fire trucks, and Military trucks that have been used for fire protection. three of my trucks are military, a 1943 CCKW, a 1952 M211 (according to the dash plate) and a 1952 GMC conventional 2wd fuel tanker. All three trucks were purchased off Ebay. The '43 CCKW was most likely built into a fire truck at the Davis Facility by the California Department of Forestry after the truck was surplussed. The '52 M211 came to Oregon on a Civil Defense contract and is believed to have come from Barstow, California. The 52 tanker barely visible behind the CCKW was purchased from the military by the City of San Francisco. It carried diesel fuel only, and went from station to station, topping the tanks for the diesel engines.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2efjkv5.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/27yqzhj.jpg

tamangel

USAF Type P-8, Model: M46FC ?

Is this vehicle technically an M-Series vehicle or just a Ford type classification?

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/43674/

M-Series listings that I found as follows (tank left out)

M46 Chassis, truck, x-long whbs, 6 X 6, 9:00 X 20 tires, 10ea
M46A1 Chassis, truck, x-long whbs, 2 1/2-ton, 9:00 X 20 tires, 10ea
M46A2 Chassis, truck, x-long whbs, 2 1/2-ton, 9:00 X 20 tires, 10ea

Mike

latewr found a thread from the old site re: these vehicles:
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=18713&highlight=fire+truck

Put the fun between your legs...ride a bike !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks