• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

tamangel

Barstow CLASS 530C M45A2 1/2

auction ended 12/29/08
Event Id 3802 — Lot Number 8116
unknown final bid

AM GENERAL CORP. CLASS 530C 2 1/ 2 TON, 6X6 500 GALLON PER MINUTE FIRE FIGHTING TRUCK, BUILT ON M45A2 CHASSIS. 6986 MILES, 588 HRS. , POWERED BY A 6-CYLINDER HERCULES MULTIFUEL ENGINE, DRIVING THROUGH A FIVE-SPEED MANUAL OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION, TWO-SPEED TRANSFER CASE. VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH HARD TOP CAB ENCLOSURE AND PERSONNEL HEATER. Located in Barstow, CA

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

Barstow CLASS 530C M45A2 2/2

auction ended 12/29/08
Event Id 3802 — Lot Number 8117
unknown final bid

AM GENERAL CORP. CLASS 530C 2 1/ 2 TON, 6X6 500 GALLON PER MINUTE FIRE FIGHTING TRUCK, BUILT ON M45A2 CHASSIS. 6953 MILES, 653 HRS. , POWERED BY A 6-CYLINDER LDT-465 HERCULES MULTIFUEL ENGINE, DRIVING THROUGH A FIVE-SPEED MANUAL OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION, TWO-SPEED TRANSFER CASE. VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH HARD TOP CAB ENCLOSURE AND PERSONNEL HEATER.

Mike

anyone get either of these?

Attachments

milfireguy

In 1943, the Corps of Engineers authorized for use as an Auxiliary Air Field Crash Vehicle, the M3A1 Decontamination Truck. The unit consisted of a 400 gallon wood tank mounted on the standard GM, CCKW, 2 1//2 ton, 6x6 chassis, with a high pressure, 400 psi pump driven from the truck transmision. Many of the Engineer & Engineer Aviation Fire Fighting Platoons used these trucks with great success. In 1944, 20 of the trucks were sent to Army Air Fields in Alaska and Canada for fire fighting duties.

Additional information on the Army Fire Fighting Platoons can be found at: www.firetrucks-atwar.com

Attachments

Last edited:

milfireguy

While not a part of the Corp of Engineers fire truck inventory, this Air Field Crash Truck appeared in Oct 1942 and was built on a CCKW cargo truck. The truck was equipped with a front mounted high pressure pump and a water tank was mounted in the cargo bed. Also in the bed there appears to be several CO2 tanks connected to a hose reel mounted above. The reel appears to be from a Holabird Class 100 Crash Truck. A low pressure fog applicator nozzle and standard fire fighting lines are mounted to the front fenders. It is thought that only a few of these trucks were built.

Attachments

tamangel

1971 Oshkosh MB5 Fire Truck 400 Gallon

found this page recently, looked thru all previous threads on this subject and didn't see info on this truck..

Any other pic's or info out there on the MB5?
http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number1659.asp

Mike

additional info on the pic below:
Truck, Fire, Aircraft, Rescue 4X4, Type MB-5 (Oshkosh)
Caterpillar 6-cyl diesel 273 bhp
auto trans 4F1RX1 ('Power Shift')
wb 140in 254X96X132 in
NSW 19,755 lbs
Tires: 15.00-22.5
Top Speed 60 MPH
400 Gal capacity
Delivered expanded foam over 100 ft. at 3000 gpm

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I drove one for a year at MCAS Cherry Point! Great truck! My truck was the "52". Sorry, long day, I will write more tomorrow, thanks for showing the photo, had some great Marines on my crew.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

milfireguy

MB 5 First Version

This is the first version of the MB-5 and was manufactured by the Ward LaFrance Truck Corp., in 1956, USN 71-00988 thru 71-01126 and Marmon-Herrington, in 1957, USN 71-1330 thru 71-1461. Pictured rig is a Maron-Herrington. The WdLaFr models were equipped with standard transmissions and the MH with automatic transmissions.

Attachments

tamangel

Attachments

tamangel

My Friend in Hawaii send the following pic and questions..feel free to comment
his web sight: http://www.firetrucks.mil-fire.net/

********"...The attached picture came from a friend in Germany. The truck's location I do not know. I have never seen, "in the flesh", any of the Class 530 series or a Class 335. Believe all of you my have used a 530C and some earlier models. Enjoy this one.

Couple of points about this truck. Is the truck color correct? If it is the Jerry can is wrong. Did the Stateside 530s use street tires or the combat tire? If the former, these tires are wrong..."

a question I have: Is the 530c its own truck/M series model or is that number just describing the fire truck body that is attached to an M45a Deuce?

unknown if the picture below is a historic pic, a restored truck today or on duty rig from somewhere...? Anyone familiar with it.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

Converted: M715 to small ladder truck

ebay item # 200303611033
auction ended 3 Feb 09/reserve not met w/1 bid
last price: $4000.00 USD
description:
"...Kaiser military Model M-715 vehicle that was converted to a small ladder firetruck. It is currently out of service. Vehicle can be returned to original condition. Body, engine, and drive train in very good condition. Brake system currently need bleeding and possible repair. no rust. Garage kept in heated fire company. 20,800 miles. Truck includes front winch, snow plow setup including snowplow in very good condition. Vehicle has original 24 volt electrical system and also a 12 volt system added for fire company equipment. Truck is sold as is and no warranty included. Because it is a vehicle owned by a fire company, New Jersey law states that bidding procedure must be followed...."

no connection w/ seller/info only

additional web pages featuring M715's as fire trucks:
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/fire/FireTrucks2.html

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/fire/FireTrucksM715.html

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

ASTFU

2 more pics

here are two pics from my bosses collection,one is a delivery photo and one is at the factory. These pics are copies from the American LaFrance archives.

Attachments

milfireguy

here are two pics from my bosses collection,one is a delivery photo and one is at the factory. These pics are copies from the American LaFrance archives.
210 of these Crash Trucks were delivered to the USN starting 31 Oct 1942 by American LaFrance on the International 4x4 chassis. They carried AmLaFr Registration numbers B-1196 thru B-1402. Used by both the Navy and USMC, they carried 4 75 lb cylinders of CO2 which supplied 2 hose reels mounted atop the body. It also carried a 100 gpm pto, rotary gear pump, which supplied water to a third hose reel. The truck mounted a 250 gallon water tank.

Last edited:

tamangel

a couple of responses from my friend ( World War II Army Engineer Fire Truck Identification Homepage ) on the above:

Post # 154:
The trucks are 1-1/2 ton 4x4 military Internationals built for Tactical use by the Navy/Marine Corps.
6 Cylinder engine, 5 speed trannie, 500 GPM pump (presumably centrifugal) mounted high behind the cab, whether PTO driven or independently powered is not known as is the capacity of the booster tank, the third reel is for a low pressure CO2 system.
As the picture shows they (these) were built by ALF. Unfortunately ALF has had so many problems and owners over the years that their archives are a shambles with much historical info now lost.

Post # 157:
As usual the seller does not provide the really needed pictures. Think it
is a 1-1/2 ton 4x4 International, military cab and chassis. This truck also
came in a 3/4 ton 4x4 version. There is limited information on Navy/Marine
Corps tactical fire trucks. Their apparatus in the States was with a few
exceptions off the shelf civilian.
The E-bay truck is what would have deployed overseas with both the Navy and
Marine Corps. I guess it can be called crash fire truck.

Mike

sixgunm37

Hi Mike I have had 9 1 1/2 ton IHC M-3-4 both H and L wheelbase 4x4 trucks.
A couple were ALF Co2 trucks, one I just parted another runner I sold to a firemen in NY. I have also had a couple Bean trucks one I just bought last week its a partially restored working 3 cylinder high pressure fog unit. I have sold it too a gentlemen in Southern Cal for use at a rural firehouse. I sold them a Darley champion front mount pump off of a Dodge 500 series that will get installed in place of the Winch so it can be used as a pumper. In addition to the booster reels they plan on adding a couple hundred feet of 1 1/2 hose.
I have Some ALF parts to include data plates, fog dispensers, and also some John Bean/FMC stuff.
I have the full set of manual for both the Bean and the ALF trucks built on the International M-3-4 chassis. I have found a 2 1/2 ton International triple combo that was stationed at Marine Corps traing base Camp Pendelton in the forties and fifties I am trying to accuire. I have posted a picture of a modern M-5H-6 tanker. Yes they still work for their keep.
I have had a thing for International apperatus going on 30 years now.
anyone with parts or truck sighting please PM me.

:)

Attachments

FrankUSMC

sixgun
I have 3 internationals here, one is a M2-4 with winch, the other two are FFN-3s. Both FFN-3s are winch models. Cool part is, under the windshield frame on the 1944 FFN-3 is stenciled WMSG-27, that Marine squidron is still active and I was with it most of my time in the Marines.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks