• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211's your guys opinion

1944mb

I was interested in your guys' opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase two m211s for $1000. They are from a VFD and one has a 1500 water tank and the other is just a cab and chassis. One ran five years ago, and the guy thought with a little fuel and new batteries it would probably start right up. The other he didn't know much about. Tires are pretty good shape on both. My question is how readily available are parts particularly tranny parts? I think the better one is probably fully functional(once it was running), but am thinking perhaps the other one might have something major wrong with it as the guy doesnt know much about it. I am a cetrified master mechanic so it doesn't scare me to tear into the transmissions to rebuild one, but memphis equipment told me today they don't have much for tranny parts anymore. What are your guys' thoughts on the whole deal? What would a good running cab and chassis go for? I am partial to MB/GPWs, but have always wanted a deuce. I work on new age junk all the time, and really enjoy working on the better built things of the past. Thanks, Ben

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, buy them. Good luck finding transmission parts. I'm told they have a lot of parts that are different from the caddies, but I don't really know for sure.
As far as value, do they have titles? No title = $175/ton. It is hard to put a value on them. 30 years ago, people used them on farms and ranches, now they use trucks that are from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. They don't bring much money unless you find the right person.

I paid $1000(Parts truck w/w), 1200 (red), and 2400 (yellow) for mine in the last 2 years. All had titles, ran and shifted. The one for 2400 had working brakes!

It looks like you have a good deuce and a parts truck. You can find a bed for $300-500 fairly easily. Or add a M109 box and make a camper. If I run out of transmissions, I will swap to a 454/AT combo from a 2wd truck.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211

They are a lot of work so you'll have plenty of enjoyment!

The exhaust manifold and transmission are the two major problems.......currently. Everything else NOS is 'readily' available or after-market solutions can fix problems. Transmission and engine NOS seal kits are available. Fuel delivery, muffler, bearings, races and seals can be sourced and solved, after-market. It's no secret the warehouses and the three wise men are leaking G749 parts into the market for guys with hearts bigger than their wallets.....just about said brains. Just google G749 parts and get out the credit card.

With some effort and net-working, the guys that want to re-build these trucks, can. We just saw some NOS G749 parts show up on Steel Soldiers and I'm hoping that if we're loud enough, it won't be long before we find some 'crate transmissions'. We can hope! May have already found a crate engine!

Recently I saw an asking price of $8500.00 for a Re-built 135, it sold...... but that's still $7000.00 worth of 60 year old tired, fatigued steel.

In my opinion, their purpose now is to be retired and used as parade platforms for our deserving veterans riding in one of the most beautiful, cantankerous military transport trucks ever built.

They're a great ride!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bare chassis and cab can easily go be gooseneck on a pickup. It will weigh about 10k without the bed. I just hauled one. The other, well you may be better off to have someone local lift the tank off if you don't want to keep it on and haul it seperate. Maybe you know someone who can haul it with a HD goose neck? Any hay haulers out there that can help ya?

1944mb

i'll have to check into it. Can a low boy fit the two of them on with one trip? I suppose not too many truckers like to haul anything that big that is dead

nattieleather

If I was closer and had the money I would buy them even if I used one to fix up the other. I love the ride of the M211 over the M35. There are motor and trans modifications that can be made to them if you want speed. Or in stock form they are great truck also just don't expect to break any land speed records. Good luck with your trucks.

M211guy

i'll have to check into it. Can a low boy fit the two of them on with one trip? I suppose not too many truckers like to haul anything that big that is dead
I dont know if you got these or not but a 50 foot step deck will haul 2 at a time. Thats how we did it. you gotta pull first one on backwards and front one on forwards!!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M 211 with rockwells modifications

I have used advanced search and am unable to locate a thread on rockwell differentials under a M 211. Any one have or know of the process or if it is feasible?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. Was unable to locate any info regarding changing to rockwells. My buddy has a nice 211 body wise and have not attempted to start the engine. Previous owner stated it ran but would not shift. Considering my buddy physical condition as a result of Desert Storm he has problems with his knees and shoulders. Therefore we are considering upgrading to rockwells, a later engine and tranny, perhaps a bob job with power steering. I put air assist on his M35A2 but he has problems shifting now.
And in your mind you ask, why does he continue in this endeavor? Because we have the green fever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks