• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cab is to be picked up monday from NY. Got the first part for it in today...

Soni has some concerns about the keyway sheering from the constant change of direction. I'm going to use a keyed shaft in this and key like normal, but I'll have my step father TIG it to the hub for me.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welding to the shaft could cause heat cracks or fiatigue if the shaft is heat treated, either of these conditions could cause a failure over time.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welding to the shaft could cause heat cracks or fiatigue if the shaft is heat treated, either of these conditions could cause a failure over time.
Yes, if it was improperly done. I've had him weld a coupler together for me in my samurai's driveline. That's a heat treated part that is subjected to a lot of stress spinning at 3K + rpm at times. I would NOT try something like that with a stick welder or MIG due to heat. Actually I was talking to him and we're going to construct a custom shaft that will be a machine fit for an extra ounce of protection as well. The welds will at that point only be "insurance" to prevent the shaft from moving.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I do see one issue ahead for me. The radiator on the 931 isn't a tall and narrow radiator like the 916's of Soni's. I *hope* however I can just rotate the radiator as the ports will pretty much line up by just making the bottom tube the crossover.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not much to update, but the cab is on the way now at least!

3/13/2013 11:29:19 AM Departed NORRISTOWN, PA in route to RICHMOND, VA

Hoefler

Well I pulled the trigger on a cab. Now to get it down here from NY. Like Soni's FEMTT, this one will end up on a 6x6 chassis. But it'll be a M931 or M923, and just a lowly NHC 250 or 8.3. Anyone heading south from NY?
When your cab arrives, take note on the paper tapped to the driver side window-these cabs where delivered from the factory in Feb of 2012! Make certain there are boxes in the cab-in those boxes you will find the collapsable foot holds for getting into the cab.
I will be watching this build as I have the Soni build. I too have an M923 and a cab that I was thinking on messing with. I really like how the FEMTT is turning out-its over the top well executed and looks great.
Pete

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cab is at the warehouse! Got my oldest son's birthday tomorrow, so I'll be picking it up sunday and bringing it back home.

M920

Awesome! I'm really glad you went with the NEW cab....it will be so much more "rewarding" when you're done!
Looking forward to your build!!! :jumpin:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I got the cab home today. Tomorrow I'll start tearing down the front end of the truck. I'm going to have to flip the radiator 90* to get the clearance I need. Also going to have to notch the frame I think to allow it to drop down enough.

M920

Looks all very exciting!! It will be interesting to see the 5 ton without the hood, so that I can get a picture of what kind of modifications that setup is going to encompass. I have never owned a 900 series 5 ton, so I really don't know what they look like under the hood. (except for the very detailed GL pics of course!) :roll:
Good luck on your build, it's going to be awesome!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks all very exciting!! It will be interesting to see the 5 ton without the hood, so that I can get a picture of what kind of modifications that setup is going to encompass. I have never owned a 900 series 5 ton, so I really don't know what they look like under the hood. (except for the very detailed GL pics of course!) :roll:
Good luck on your build, it's going to be awesome!
The 939's radiator is installed horizontally instead of vertical like yours. I know your radiator has the tank on the top of it though. I'm thinking about flipping my radiator 90*. Then replumbing everything to the new positions. And elevating my external tank above the radiator line. I don't see me being able to pass the steering shaft otherwise.

I don't think there's enough frame real estate either. So I'm going to cheat and use a set of frame extensions from a winch truck to extend the front frame. Then I'll tie those ends into a MRAP buffalo bumper. And build the "skid" setup off that. Basically trying to use as much off the shelf parts as possible.

Harness - I'm not sure what I want to do here. I'm almost of the mindset that I'd like to just slowly strip the truck down and remove the complete cab harness, then extend the leads of each wire one by one long enough to move the "cab" harness into the new cab. I'm also thinking of porting over my gauges to the truck as well. But I'll probably use aftermarket speedo/tach gauges since the cables wouldn't reach.

Air lines - I didn't realize that the MK48 was setup like a tractor and already had all the controls needed. I'm going to have to follow your lead on your plumbing actually.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well not as much as I'd like to get done today, we're getting hammered by high winds, rain, and lightning. The hood and front bumper is removed. I've gotta pick up a couple of 5 gallon buckets to hold the coolant. I'm going to have to notch the frame at the radiator 1" on each side when I flip it. Hopefully I'll be able to re-purpose a lot of the coolant hoses as well with what I have planned. Wish I could get away with not flipping the radiator, but there's just no clearance for the steering shaft if I don't.

Attachments

Hoefler

Have you thought of a bell crank to get around radiator? One in front of the rad in the center of frame-the other on frame rail ahead of the existing steering box.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you thought of a bell crank to get around radiator? One in front of the rad in the center of frame-the other on frame rail ahead of the existing steering box.
Honestly if you look at the number of gear boxes and joints in the system already. I really don't like the thoughts of adding more failure/slack points to it. I don't believe flipping the radiator will be all that terribly difficult. (Also a lot more cost effective than purchasing a setup like that)

ryan77

The 939's radiator is installed horizontally instead of vertical like yours. I know your radiator has the tank on the top of it though. I'm thinking about flipping my radiator 90*. Then replumbing everything to the new positions. And elevating my external tank above the radiator line. I don't see me being able to pass the steering shaft otherwise.

I don't think there's enough frame real estate either. So I'm going to cheat and use a set of frame extensions from a winch truck to extend the front frame. Then I'll tie those ends into a MRAP buffalo bumper. And build the "skid" setup off that. Basically trying to use as much off the shelf parts as possible.

Harness - I'm not sure what I want to do here. I'm almost of the mindset that I'd like to just slowly strip the truck down and remove the complete cab harness, then extend the leads of each wire one by one long enough to move the "cab" harness into the new cab. I'm also thinking of porting over my gauges to the truck as well. But I'll probably use aftermarket speedo/tach gauges since the cables wouldn't reach.

Air lines - I didn't realize that the MK48 was setup like a tractor and already had all the controls needed. I'm going to have to follow your lead on your plumbing actually.
Is that green chair your using as a step latter osha approved??? LOL

Danger Ranger

Well apparently I have not subscribed to this, even though I have been watching this since the start. Good luck Patracy, this should be a cool one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks