• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rronning84

Cool score on the truck. They are neat and nothing beats a wrecker. However form personal experiance there is nothing more exasperating then trying to hook up to another truck with a m1089 wrecker by yourself. It will try your patients. Make sure you do the resister mod to the engine. The m1089 is teribly underpowered. You wont find a video for the m1089 on youtube but look up 10k mod for 7.3 powerstroke. They use the same fuel system right down to the injectors (my 99 powerstroke has a set of injectors out of lmtv). It will walk you through how to do it. About $2 can net you a solid 25 - 50 hp. I used to do this mod a lot for our drivers when I was in a unit that had lmtv's

sandcobra164

Derrick,
I drive an 1089 for the National Guard. It's better than the M936 (I've used A-0's, A1's and A2's) power wise but it pales in comparison to the M984. That Detroit would rather break the pins than slow down. Plus side, it's slightly quieter and runs about the same acceleration wise as long as you're not hooked to a truck. My only gripe about the FMTV's is the axle whine or groan depending on whether coasting or accelerating. You can feel it in the steering wheel even. And my wrecker is well below 10,000 miles. I would like to thank the taxpayer's for giving me a truck to play with and pay for the fuel in 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks out the year!!!

ARYankee

Since parts are so scarce, no progress has been made since my last post. I have however, been thinking about installing dual roof mounted emergency air horns. (I only have one at this time)
Honestly, even if you have no updates, I still love seeing pictures of it!

DSD277

"AO" is reference to the folding cab on on the FMTVs. Namely the M1081, M1093 and M1094. The engine in mine is the CAT 3116, common during the '90's on GM Top Kicks and Kodiaks.
BAE told me it had the A1 upgrades, as there is a year difference between the manufactured date and the delivery date, and a 'upgrade' code in the VIN.

Out sourced parts in the parts TM usually retained the original part manufacturer's number. Only need to figure out who the manu was :D. With some stuff, not hard at all

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1089 in the pdf is listed at 60% maximum grade, just like all our other vehicles with wheels. Approach and departure angles are not relevant to operations, only to clearing humps and bumps. But we digress, the op was asking about an electric winch for a 5-ton. In most of our opinions, and in my experience in doing heavy recovery (but nothing over 200 tons) and winch testing ( but not over 500 tons), an electric winch that is called upon to really work will be more costly than the "proper" engine driven winch. BUT, to each his own, most any winch is better than no winch.

Last edited:

TehTDK

Derrick,

I will partly take the blame for that misposting. We were talking about electrical winches etc in another thread and the discussion turned to climbing ability and approach angles. I linked to here because people started saying there wasn't any vehicles that could do a 40 degree / 100% incline. I guess someone just forgot to hop back to the original thread before posting :)

sandcobra164

Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to thank all of ya'll for contributing to my new play toy. A little background up front, I'm still in the military. I just received a brand new M1089A1P2 wrecker straight from Oshkosh. It has 2 things I like and 1 thing I don't like. The 2 positives. It has a useful stinger with the familiar tube type "whiffle tree" like a HEMMT Wrecker. It also has air conditioning which comes in handy in GA during the hotter months. 1 downside in my opinion. It has a knuckleboom crane rather than a winch crane like the earlier M1089 Wrecker. I'm happy overall though, I put 573 miles on it so far for a total of 675 on the truck. It has pulled 3 cargo MTV's out of mud, lift towed 2 HMMWV's and 1 MTV. It's a good truck overall but I can't wait for my old M984 to make it out of rebuild as an M984A4. I'll get back into the big boy club soon enough wrecker wise. I did do something for the good of Steel Soldiers this weekend though. Ferro has a cool name for his wrecker and I stole the name. I stenciled Becka Tha Wrecka on the right side rear toolbox for all to see. It blends right in!!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw some interesting wreckers today on 3 railcars at the Union Pacific yard. It was an armored cab 3 axle truck with what looked like to me a commercial holmes wrecker body with the side tool boxes. 6 of those puppies painted tan. Could not take pics while I was driving.

Definitely not an fmtv, mtv, or hemett body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks