• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Brake shoe ablative pad thickness?

Prince

What is the thickness of a NEW brake shoe ablative pad on an M38A1?

I had new ones installed and they are only about 1/8" thick!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have new linings installed on your shoe cores or did you buy new shoes from a auto parts chain ?

Prince

A mechanic did the brake job, and he used complete new shoes - not sure where he bought them. The brakes are God awful. I have to really plan my stops!!! Very hard pedal and the pedal goes down sort of far and a lot of foot force to stop in a long distance! I am about to take the rear drums off to see what I have. The front shoe was something like 1/8" thick. I will measure the rear. I scuffed up the drum and cleaned the drum and show of any oil. After I do the same to the rear, I will see if it makes any difference.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/8 inch seems pretty thin , but what the chain auto parts stores are doing is selling different priced shoes , the cheaper the price the less friction material they use . The drums should have been turned with new shoes . Sounds like you need a different mechanic. OEM shoes would have been rivited and at least a 1/4 inch thick , a 1/8 inch wouldn't even allow for the rivit.

Prince

I measured 5/32" thickness on the rear passenger side lining. You are correct - the mechanic I used was another in a long string of mistakes I have made. I have another friend who is the best mechanic I have ever known! I did not use him for repairs to the Jeep since the other guy worked on military vehicles. I won't go into all of that now.

Here is another issue with the brakes: The driver's side rear drum is different from the others. It does NOT have the 3 counter-sunk screws holding on the drum. I am not sure if the axle has to come out or what? It may be from another type of Jeep?

Does anyone know the deal with this?

M38A1 Driver's side rear brake drum 1a.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks