• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can 2 m923 trucks without tarp & bows fit on one transport trailer?

quickfarms

Ah, yeah. Realize that it's not a proper step-deck but am pretty sure I can build something that will work without adding more than a couple hundred pounds. This is all just speculation though, haven't even seen one of these things in person before. Just seemed like it might be our best bet. First choice would have been something more like an M870, but that's outta our price range right now.
I will take more than a couple hundred pounds of structure to properly support the 10 to 12 thousand pounds that the rear of that weighs.

One issue is that any unusual cargo securement can bring some very unwanted scrutiny from the CHP.

Where are you taking the trucks?

What are you planning on pulling it with?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, yeah. Realize that it's not a proper step-deck but am pretty sure I can build something that will work without adding more than a couple hundred pounds. This is all just speculation though, haven't even seen one of these things in person before. Just seemed like it might be our best bet. First choice would have been something more like an M870, but that's outta our price range right now.
We used to build what we called grader ramps (to haul long road graders) on the necks of Phelan lowboy trailers. I'd say you'd add more than a couple of hundred pounds building something where you could drive on the neck..

Although is't not ideal, you could do something like we used to do on the Phelan trailers without ramps and wanted to haul a grader. What we would do is put a light coating of grease on the neck frame, run the grader up until the front axle contacted the neck frame, and continue forward while the axles just slid upon the neck. Now the Phelan trailers neck frame was rounded on top from the deck to the top of the of the frame which let the grader axle slide upon it.

It's just some of the crazy stuff we used to do before we had enough money to do better or knew better.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Maybe. Haven't see what I'm working with yet, but have got the fabrication end of things covered. No concerns there.

Am sure you're right, but we're pretty good about making sure our stuff presents well.

Just posted this over on pirate, which explains a little bit about our plans for this trailer and previous posts will give you an idea of what we're doing with these trucks if you're interested.

Not sure what we'll pull any real big loads with, but I'm in the process of removing the tractor-specific parts from a few of our M931A2's and will be swapping that stuff over onto our hightop M923A2's. So they'll be long-wheelbase M939-based tractors. Not dedicated tractors, but with interchangeable beds and boxes, using the 5th wheel tractor-plates as the main mounting points. That's the idea anyway. Will see how it all works out.

jesusgatos

Oh yeah, should have explained that better. Wasn't planning on building anything to support the truck in transit. Was thinking more along the lines of what you're suggesting m16ty, minus all the grease. Haven't had a chance to look at the tru-hitch 5th-wheel wrecker setups very closely, but that's probably along the lines of what I was thinking. Ramps would only be there to get the trucks up into position.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks