• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

wiccantoy

Ok in the process on my phone of uploading the sister to my gererator. They were both receivied from the same place. In fact they were both on the trailer together untill we turned it from a gen trailer to a pump trailer. My gen i got from the firehouse where im a cheif engineer. And it just happened to be the one that now needs work. So i remember both working untill some voluneteer people messing with it. And screwed up a few things. But thats ok with me since the company was tired of sinking money into military stuff and gave it to me for free. Wooohooo if its free its for me.

wiccantoy

Looking for replacement oil filter for my MEP-016B

OK as the title says. Ive looked and cant find anything. I know ive seen something about it. And need others advice. Is there a part # people are useing? Im trying to go over all filters right now. And I am going to do the same with my fire companys one also.
So any help would be great....

wiccantoy

OK more questions about my MEP-016B

I recently replaced the fuel filter with one from napa. All there was is a filter. Don't i need a gasket or more? Or will the filter and the lid being tight be suffice? Really dont want to rip apart the other generator to find out this info and take a chance of messing that one up. The only other thing there was is a under sized cork donut (didnt use that one). Didnt like the idea of useing that.

Isaac-1

The official filters also include a small o-ring for the water drain and a large one for the rim of the lid, you may be able to re-use your old one though.

Ike

wiccantoy

The official filters also include a small o-ring for the water drain and a large one for the rim of the lid, you may be able to re-use your old one though.

Ike

The old one also didn't have anything. Someone may have taken a short cut. Which is why i didnt worry about it. But i do have material to make my own from napa. Just need detailed photo's of both with the filter too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a TM for this generator? One ending in P would have all the parts displayed in exploded views with part numbers)

Also, you could just continue one thread about your generator, rather than post new threads for every question you have.

ETN550

Looking into remote filters for my gen set this way u can get ones that are more available from a local parts house. Rather than ebay nos itmes.

The spin on oil filter and the drop in fuel filter cross over to auto parts that are available at low cost, under $10.00 each. The air filter was running on e-bay for $35 for three which is pretty good. The air filter system would be easy enough to modify by using radiator hose pieces and exhaust tubing and terminate with a K&N hose clamp style they sell for the small cars. However, the existing steel housing has the restriction gauge and is well baffled to limit noise. Also protects the filter from weather and has a dust ejector on the bottom. Best bet for an overall conversion might be to obtain a small automotive housing from a junkyard and adapt. It will be noisier.

ETN550

There is a parts manual for this generator.

The top lid outside diameter seal and the water drain seal can be reused many times.

The Carquest fuel filters I bought used the cork type doughnut on the top for a tight fit as the lid was tightened down. No issues.

If I was starting from scratch I would get one stock filter kit then match up the seals you need in order to be sure you get the right components in the first place. Pretty much everything can be cross referenced but if you do not have it to start with...

My two 016B units came with everything except the filter cartridge so I have not had to buy an expensive stock filter yet. When the big seal on the lid finally wears out then I will get it matched up at an o-ring distributer.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, there is a TM. I wonder if the TM numbers are listed on a data plate on the generator(like all other military equipment).

wiccantoy

I'm sorry doghead if I'm working on my blazer and have questions about the trans I'd post it. But later I find something else. I'd be foolish posting about the door since people won't check about drivetrain but know about other parts. So i post about special parts to get people that know those items. Sorry if u don't agree. I'd later like to gather all the info and make a upgrades post for this gen set

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be easier for everyone to follow and understand what you have done(or know) in one thread.

After all, your generator is one project, until you get it completely serviced and operational.

Last edited:

ETN550

So, there is a TM. I wonder if the TM numbers are listed on a data plate on the generator(like all other military equipment).

These are what I use for the MEP-016b

TM 5-6115-615-24P For parts pictures and part numbers
TM 5-6115-615-12 Operation and Maintenance

TM 5-6115-615-34 Tech Field Manual, similar to the operation manual but a little thinner.

Each has some other designations for the other armed services branches. I think the TM designations are the Army designations. I bought the parts one. the others were found on line for free down load. They are the correct manuals but they have errors in them. Very helpful none the less. I did not see these numbers anywhere on the gen set itself.

wiccantoy

I'm sorry I do not agree with you on this. I wouldnt be looking in a filter thread if I know nothing about them and had nothing to offer. So Imay know about something else further on in the post of I went and read the entire thing. But if it's something I don't feel I can help with I'd miss it. This is why I want to get all the helpful info and make a upgrade topic for the 016b. His way I'd know this is where I'd wan to look for as many upgrades as posable.

ETN550

I'm sorry doghead if I'm working on my blazer and have questions about the trans I'd post it. But later I find something else. I'd be foolish posting about the door since people won't check about drivetrain but know about other parts. So i post about special parts to get people that know those items. Sorry if u don't agree. I'd later like to gather all the info and make a upgrades post for this gen set
What you say is true for the big vehicle forums where you are pages deep in a day or so. This is a smaller subforum and things move slower. The people here seem pretty knowledgeable and the ones that know your model gen set probably know most of the whole gen set and had a lot of the same type of questions and issues starting out.

ETN550

Post a pic of the generator, not the nameplate. Make sure we can see the engine if it is not an enclosed unit. Many of the 3kw sets were converted from gas to diesel and some were converted from Onan diesel to Yanmar Diesel.

wiccantoy

may have been told the wrong info on generator

Was told i had a MEP-016B so i was putting a new throttle cable on and decided to clean off the top exterior cover with a buffer on the info tag and its saying 701B. How can i tell the difference between the 2? The forestry department in pa is the ones that had it listed as a 016B. But now i find this. Is one better than the other? Or is it possable that they changed the covers?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks