• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

Crawdaddy

An MEP-701A is just a MEP-016B with an ASK on it. From what I understand, because the ASK is so involved to install, it's a depot-level job and it gets a new model number as a result.

Isaac-1

If your MEP-701a is like mine you can remove the top cover and find the original MEP-016b data plate mounted the the generator under it, like Crawdaddy said it was a depot level upgrade required adding lots of threaded inserts to the frame, rewiring to support the electric cooling fans as well as rerouting the exhuast and perhaps other things.

Ike

ETN550

I looked at your photos. That appears to be a very nice unit. It is a 701A as discussed above. Your 701A was made from the 016B that is shown on the 016B name plate. I believe all 701As were made from finished and running 016Bs. Not all 701As have the original 016B name plate saved. That is a nice thing to have so you know your source unit used in the conversion.

As mentioned above they converted the 016B which is the open frame version into the 701A which is the equivelent enclosed unit.

This was a standard procedure done on many units. They started with an open frame complete functioning 016B and added the sound blocking panels, re-routed the exhaust by chopping the original tailpipe short and installing the orange high temp silicone rubber hose to reach down to the new exhaust outlet location. Then they added some wiring harness and relays to run the two fan motors which help cool the now enclosed generator.

The currently available and free downloadable operation manuals for the 016B include a back section addressing the 701A conversion and its extra parts.

So when looking for basic information it pays to search for both 016B and 701A to get as many hits as possible since they are essentially exactly the same underneath. I have two 016Bs and speak from that experience. I would like a 701A.

So then, you do have the correct throttle cable after all as they are the same!

Last edited:

wiccantoy

POSTING info ive been gathering on MEP-016B AND MEP 701A generators

NOTE: I posted the wrong info in the title. It was supposed to be 701a not 017a

Ok there are some on here that are really good at finding info in the search section. So I am trying to put all of into one post for all new people or for a general help. I will try to keep this updated as i keep replacing or upgrading items in my generators.

BATTERY OPTIONS FOR THESE GEN UNITS:

A 4HN 24 volt battery.
Or as posted by William F he has stated this. I have removed the batts, and will replace one with these 2 12v in series (Napa 12n14-3A).

OIL FILTER
Wix 51378

As posted by derf
I found that the following filters fit on my 701As:

NAPA 1378
Wix 51378
Fram PH8212

They cross to 1997-2005 Acura, too, so should not be hard to find.
I believe if you look up Acura NSX you will find one that fits.

AIR FILTER:

NELSON 70307-N
Air filters:

Onan p/n 140-2183
Cummins p/n 70307-N

MFR 76700 is Cummins, Onan is MFR 44940

OK FUEL FILTER INFO:

Public Service Announcement: MEP 701/016 Fuel Filter replacement:

Carquest #86516 $6.95

Beats the heck out of the $30 + dollar filters listed on Ebay!

Here are all the cross references for that fuel filter.

CARQUEST 86516, CASE A35667, CASE A35863, CASE A36557, COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS X13R316, FLEETGUARD FF244, FRAM C2100, GMC 6438089, NAPA 3516, WIX 33516 *

WILL GET MORE LATER. I want to start a section on upgrades soon too.

Last edited:

wiccantoy

I'm sorry what is the 016 wiki. What I've researched the 016b and the 017a are the same. Just changed by the military with different case and tags. I'm sure there is more that may have changed but that is as far as I've gotten so far.

Last edited:

derf

Click on the link. A wiki is an info section. This one happens to be part of SS.

016 gens are 3kW
017 gens are 5kW

They are totally different beasts. I think they share a voltage regulator and maybe a few other small parts but the last digit of MEP #s makes a big difference.

derf

The Department of Defense generator sets DOD model MEP-017A are powered by a gasoline-fueled, 10-horsepower, Military Standard Engine, either the Model 2A042-2 or the Model 2A042-3. The engine is directly coupled to the sets. I think the gas powered 016s have a 4 cylinder 6HP motor and the 017s have a much larger 2 cylinder 10HP motor.

wiccantoy

Ok im sure you are correct. Ive been told in older posts that the engine is all the same. And the 016B's were switched to 017A's. Not sure why but thats why this forum is here to inform others. Mine was believed to be a 016b but when i cleaned the tag it said 017a. And indicates its a 3kw

Last edited:

derf

The 016 wiki: MEP-016 Info - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
has info on the suffixes for 016s. As were made to Ds when the motor was changed to Diesel. I don' t think the 017s had a readily available, off the shelf, cost effective Diesel option. Yanmar 7 and 10 HP motors are relatively cheap and easy to get. A 15-20 horse Diesel would probably have to be twin cylinder, heavy, and expensive making 017 conversions unlikely.

wiccantoy

Well from what i was told there was no conversion to the engine on the 016b they from the motor pool change the tag to indicate 017a. Still with the 1 cyl diesel engine. I really wish some of the people that said about this would chime in.

wiccantoy

origionally posted by Isaac-1

From what I have been able to uncover the MEP 701A is a MEP-016B in the ASK housing, the 016B is the same generator end as the gasoline powered 016A and 016C just with a diesel instead of a gas engine, therefore the 3600 rpms. They also were originaly powered by a 1 cylinder Onan that is no longer produced, some have been retrofitted with a near idential sized 1 cylinder Yanmar .

Ike

Keith_J

The 016 wiki: MEP-016 Info - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
has info on the suffixes for 016s. As were made to Ds when the motor was changed to Diesel. I don' t think the 017s had a readily available, off the shelf, cost effective Diesel option. Yanmar 7 and 10 HP motors are relatively cheap and easy to get. A 15-20 horse Diesel would probably have to be twin cylinder, heavy, and expensive making 017 conversions unlikely.

The 017As were replaced with 002As on TO&Es.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the INTENET. aka, World Wide Web.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks