• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M44 headlight doors.. how many different styles are there?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How many different styles are there for the Deuce headlight doors?

I know there are the early style that have the hole for the electric horn and ther later ones don't, but it seems like I remember hearing people talk about there being 4 or 5 different styles.

What's up?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M44 headlight doors.. how many different styles are ther

I'm only aware of the two you listed. The ones like you have can be reversed so that the headlights can be mounted high or low. The later trucks (guessing 60s up) had the fixed position doors. Never seen anything different than these.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, perhaps that makes 3. Clinto's have a square panel that can be unbolted and reversed to move the headlights up or down. Lee's are the flat panel ones that are pre punched so that the panel can be knocked out for the electric horn. Then there are the ones that are not punched such as those on both of my trucks.

acetomatoco

Usta be that the winch models only had the H/L up... but for ease of standardization and training the dropout mechanics who installed winches later...they started putting em all on the top... ACE (that was after the electric horn was superceded by the obnoxious one)

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When did the air horns become standard equipment?

I'd like to know roughly when trucks began being built with the later passenger side headlight door that didn't have a provision for the electric horn.

Barrman

I know my 1965 series of manuals deals with both air and electric horn mounts and trouble shooting. I am pretty sure the 1976 series has info on both as well.

That doesn't really answer your question, but look at it this way. Gasser engines were replaced around 1958 and the 1965 manuals are the last to mention those engines. 7 years. So, if the 1976 manuals mention electric horns you can dangerously assume that electric horns were still installed new as late as 1969.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I think my headlights are higher than yours Clint. Mine (1966) started out low and I flipped them when I did the winch install.

Mine has both horns, but the electric one has not worked since I bought it.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think gasser headlight doors are different...... look at the distance from the bottom of the hood to the headlight, gasser vs. multifuel.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, also worthy of noting is that the gasser grill is an inch shorter in height. This reminds me that I need to post a thread on a mod I made to the right door on my trucks. Its so simple and useful you will ask yourself why you didn't think of it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back the market had a little surplus of HMMWV slave plugs with cables. These were a little different in the fact that the cover was threaded and o-ringed. I knocked a hole in the later style headlight door under the right headlight and mounted that NATO slave plug. The cables are a perfect length to attach to the battery cable at the starter. Having an additional slave plug at the front makes slaving easier especially with the shorter slave cable.

armytruck63

I know my 1965 series of manuals deals with both air and electric horn mounts and trouble shooting. I am pretty sure the 1976 series has info on both as well.

That doesn't really answer your question, but look at it this way. Gasser engines were replaced around 1958 and the 1965 manuals are the last to mention those engines. 7 years. So, if the 1976 manuals mention electric horns you can dangerously assume that electric horns were still installed new as late as 1969.
I have a friend with a sweet 1963 gasser M35. I believe the last gas powered trucks were made in 1963 or early 1964. They were superceded by the M35A1 with the LDT-427 engines.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend with a sweet 1963 gasser M35. I believe the last gas powered trucks were made in 1963 or early 1964. They were superceded by the M35A1 with the LDT-427 engines.
Studebaker was making A1's in 1962. Who was the truck manufacturer?

armytruck63

I was mistaken, it is an M34. I will double check the year and manufacturer. I know it has the lower headlight position and the electric horn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks