• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a MUTT

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my latest project last night. I'm hoping some of the more knowledgable folks can help me ID it. There are no data plates and not holes in the dash or windshield frame where data plates would have been riveted. The motor has a plate but it puts it as a 1971 and I believe the vehicle is much older.

Some of the things I've noted:

1) no ribbing in either the floor or rear fender tops

2) no blackout marker holes in grille

3) no slot for the ax head on side of body or strap loops on either side

4) sheet metal seems to be heavier gauge than either A1s or A2s I've looked at

5) has the slanted A1-A2 style bumper

6) flat top style air cleaner

My guess is that it is an original 151 that has either had some mods done at the unit level or after it was surplused.

Pros for the vehicle is that it is uncut and has lots of new parts that came with it. Cons are the floors are gone but some of the parts are new floor panels (although they're ribbed).

I'll post over at G838 also.

Dash.jpgEngine Compartment.jpgFront Floor.jpgGrille.jpgRear Fender.jpgRear Floor.jpgRear Suspension.jpg

Last edited:

cobra5

You have either a Titan or a Growler which was a knock off of the M151. The give away is they were made of heavier gauge steel, no axle or shovel holder, A-2 turn signals mounted on flat square fenders. The body itself will be more square as well.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let it ruine your day. Fix it up and drive it...they are still a blast to drive even if it's not an original body.
It's going to take a substantial amount of time and money to get this on the road. I'd rather that expense went to a real piece of history rather than a knockoff.

vtdeucedriver

It's going to take a substantial amount of time and money to get this on the road. I'd rather that expense went to a real piece of history rather than a knockoff.
I don't blame you there but if your willing to take the time and putter with it, You can certinly learn alot about them as when you do find a original. Chances are good that it will be much worse condition.
Post on the g838 and get a feel of whats out there.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went ahead and sold it. There were 2 other guys in line behind me so I just got in touch with the next one down the line and let him have it for what I paid. He actually wants it for parts for his real M151.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that's one of the shorter 'vehicle ownership' stories I've heard! Glad I got to see it yesterday. :p

I saw one recently that had a body made out of 1" square tubing and sheet metal, with the tubing on the outside.

Cheers

Barrman

Mark, if you want a real one. I will have someone to introduce you to tomorrow at the show. He has one to sell. I will be there in the M715.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tim. We should arrive at the swap meet around 0900 depending on whether we can roll out of the AO on time or not.

Sgrepair

And if anyone is interested in the body, make me an offer. I have pulled everything off of it that I need. It's in a pasture in Burnet, and unless someone can't live without it, it's going to either the range and then the scrapyard, or just the scrapyard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks