• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tatra813 said:
for the air filter it calls for a mixture of oa-m6ad and petrol 2:1
I assume thats engine oil and diesel?
thanks again guys.
Petrol would be gasoline, but why put gasoline in the mixture, fumes could cause a runaway sitiation?? Usually engine oil alone is used in oil bath filters...

TnD

Hi everyone, new to the site, actually found it looking for Tatra 813 Kolos' for sale. Congrats on your new toy...I am looking for one to use as a camping/tow rig for my rockcrawler. I've been in touch with Vermont Unimog already, but I was wondering if the movie vehicle company you got yours from had any others they were looking to unload???

TnD

Thanks, I posted a couple of adds already...its sort of a snowball effect....I am resto-rodding a 74 ScoutII, it needs parts that are in my Jeep rockcrawler, this means the rockcrawler needs new axles, i.e. Rockwells, those make it hard to have a street legal truck so thus the need for a Tatra :lol:

tatra813

The Movie company I got mine from doesnt have another one, Chris at Vermont would be a good guy to buy one from he knows these rigs and has access to them.

There is a guy in Pensylvania who has a couple for sale go to military vehicle magazine online and go to classifieds and click on the armored vehicles for sale he has a armored vehicle and 3 tatras in various conditions shipping is the most expensive part of getting these rigs.

On a side note using one of these for hauling your scout would be cool, but they are definitely not a highway rig they are very slow 50 top speed and 4.5 mpg unloaded.I hope you arnt hauling it far.

anyway they are awsome and let me know if you need more info.
Dean
Getting one that is rust free is hard but they are out there, they are averaging about 34000 to get one, but finding one locally in America can drop that down, I think Mark in Pensylvania wanted 26000 for his excellent condition tatra with new cargo top, he also has 2 others in ok condition for I think about 15000.

If you live close they would be a deal

TnD

tatra813 said:
relatively close as compared to Europe, I'm about 4000 miles away from Pennsylvania :cry:

Still would likely be cheaper than having one shipped. Cheapest shipping estimate I've come up with so far to Vancouver BC which is the closest RO/RO port is about $9000CDN coming from Germany

I'll give him a shout and see what he's got.

As to the speed and mileage limitations.....the speed isn't a huge factor since most highways here are limited to 90kph(55 mph) and in British Columbia your dealing with mostly mountain and coastal highways, i.e.steep and twisty, so high speed would not be the greatest idea in a large truck. As to the mileage........the loads I'll be pulling and carrying will quite light(in the 5 ton range) so I figure the mileage will not be to far off what a class 'C' motorhome would be towing a 10000lb car trailer with my Jeep on it. Any loss in fuel "economy" would be offset by the freedom to access the hundreds of thousands of miles of logging roads around here. Ya wanna play ya gotta pay.

tatra813

I think you will love it. It obviously isnt the most practical vehicle, but hey its a Tatra who cares!!
good luck in finding one.

Let me know how you do.

vtunimog

You can swap out the bath type filter/soaked element type as well and put in a Paper cartridge. There is a company in the UK who makes a filter that will fit the housing. I think you do have to do some mods to the filter a bit. But the improved filtration and flow is worth it. Contact me off forum and I will get the company that makes the filter, there must be a US equiv as well.

Chris M
VT

vtunimog

Thanks for the referral ! I have a contact scouring the CZ republic now and Romania as well. They are getting so hard to find because everyone wants one for the offroad challenges (Truck Trial and Berlin to Breslau Rally). If you search YouTube for Tatra 813 or 815 you will quite a few vids. Prices are a problem, a good clean truck will run you 12,000 - 18,000 EURO plus transport. I think getting one to the East coast USA will ultimately cost between 28K and $36K. The trucks that Mark has in PA are pretty nice and he definately has cared for them, as well as driven them ! which is almost more important.

Chris M

tatra813 said:
The Movie company I got mine from doesnt have another one, Chris at Vermont would be a good guy to buy one from he knows these rigs and has access to them.

There is a guy in Pensylvania who has a couple for sale go to military vehicle magazine online and go to classifieds and click on the armored vehicles for sale he has a armored vehicle and 3 tatras in various conditions shipping is the most expensive part of getting these rigs.

On a side note using one of these for hauling your scout would be cool, but they are definitely not a highway rig they are very slow 50 top speed and 4.5 mpg unloaded.I hope you arnt hauling it far.

anyway they are awsome and let me know if you need more info.
Dean
Getting one that is rust free is hard but they are out there, they are averaging about 34000 to get one, but finding one locally in America can drop that down, I think Mark in Pensylvania wanted 26000 for his excellent condition tatra with new cargo top, he also has 2 others in ok condition for I think about 15000.

Attachments

TnD

Its kinda tragic....I started looking seriously for a Tatra just recently, thinking it would take a while to find one and set up transport etc....Now I find one before I'm ready for it.........life's like that sometimes. I did find dozens of them up for auction....only problem they were in India.

vtunimog

The folks at Tatra were pretty innovative - in fact they were working on things long before the Germans even thought of them. If you go onto Youtube and search for Tatra truck there is a video of a 6x6 from the late 20's early 30's that is pretty amazing. The 813 development video is pretty awesome as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYjVw3tZxM

Chris M

tatra813

Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

redass73 said:
cool pics... welcome dean.
Thanks I will submit new pics this weekend, it is looking a lot better now.
I just purchased another "mint" condition Tatra 813 so now I have 2. It should be here next week, I cant wait!!

kcimb

RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

Wow....Definitely a sweet ride! Are they capable of highway speed?

They're gas/petrol, correct? (Unloaded is 4.5mpg..I'd hate to see what they are like loaded!)

tatra813

Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

kcimb said:
Wow....Definitely a sweet ride! Are they capable of highway speed?

They're gas/petrol, correct? (Unloaded is 4.5mpg..I'd hate to see what they are like loaded!)
They are slow they are really made to haul serious weight in rough terrain, you can engage every axle and then there is another air locker switch that locks all four axles, with it being independant suspention, there isnt a truck that can touch it and it has factory central tire inflation system. It has everything stock that usually you have to add to make it really off road worthy.

Manual says fully loaded it gets 1.5 miles per gallon.
It has a Diesel v-12 air cooled motor that has a great history for reliability.

You can actually drive it with 1 wheel missing from each side as long as it isnt on the same axle, Ive done it when I was doing a repair on the hub.

It has a nice 50,000lb winch that feeds through the front or the back.
It has 20 speed trany syncronized which is nice and 4 reverse gears

cab seats 7 and it has a seperate diesel heater for the cab.

I just cant speak enough about them I originally saw them on the web site "youtube" type in Tatra 813 trials and you will see them in the offroad competitions in Europe, they always win them and it is insane what these guys do with them, after seeing that I did everything I could to find one and now I have 2.
As far as I know there are only about 6 in the U.S.A. and now with the exchange rates and shipping costs its almost unaffordable to ship on over from Europe if you can even find one that is rust free.

check out www.mortarinvestments.com they have some for sale and some other really nice military rigs for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks