• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

tatra813

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

To answer your other question 55 is absolutely max speed on highway, but with everyone staring at you and taking pictures its hard to go faster

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Congrats on the second find/purchase!
Are there any detail images availble, I'm always looking for construction details, electrical in particular, type of connectors, battery wiring etc?
Does the "drive train" feature interaxle differentials?
For trucks with CTIS, what is the compressor capacity?
Got lots of questions, but don't want to push it. :)

tatra813

Here are a few specs I will answer the rest of the questions when I get more time, but feel free to ask.

T813 8x8
Length - 28' 9"
Width - 8' 3"
Height - 8' 9" (cab), 11' 0" (cargo w/tarp)
Cargo Bed (LxWxH) - 16' 5" x 7' 6" x 6' 4"

Unladen Weight - 31,086lb
Cargo Weight - 17,417lb
Net On-Road Weight - 220,463lb (i.e. vehicle+load+tow/trailer)
Trailer Off-Road Weight - 26,400lb

Fuel Tank - 137 USG
Range, Unladen - 621mi (4.5MPG)
Range, +26,400lb - 404mi (2.9MPG)
Range, Max Gross - 217mi (1.5MPH)

Engine Type - 75 degree V12 air cooled diesel.
Engine Displacement - 1077cu (17.64L)
Power 250 hp @ 2000 RPM, 709 ft/lbs @ 1200 RPM
(a more recent model, the T813-12, has a 1160cu
(19L) 310bhp multi-fuel engine)

Triple plate clutch
5F1R dual-range 5 speed with overdrive gearbox for a total of 20 forward and 4 reverse gears
Locking differentials
Hub reduction gearing for a 5.75:1 overall axle gear ratio

Tires 15 x 21 with central pressure regulation
Air main brakes w/mechanical parking brake
Steering power-assisted front 2 axles

Central mounted 48,500lb winch with 354ft of 7/8" steel cable for rearward or forward winching.

Max speed 50mph
Max gradient 100%
Max trench crossing depth 6'2"
Max vertical obstacle 2'0"
Max fording depth 4'7"
Ground clearance 1'4"
Track 6'8"
Wheel base 148"

Pressurised 4 door cab
Seating - 1 + 1 + 5
24V electrical system

tatra813

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

cranetruck said:
Are there any detail images availble, I'm always looking for construction details, electrical in particular, type of connectors, battery wiring etc?
Ill get some pics this weekend of the electrical connectors etc. The compressor is a v twin that is mounted next to the engine. I had to rebuild one of the hubs of my truck and it was interesting to see all the different air passages there are for the ctis to work.

There is also a vavle (this is all stock from the factory) that will pressurize the gearboxes in case of crossing water. kind of like the kit some of the dueces use.

Battery wiring is pretty basic just two 12volt batteries in series, there are channels from the seperate diesel cab heater that go in the battery compartment to heat it up in the winter, there is also a spot for wick heaters to be placed under the batteries for cold weather. The truck has 2 starters and you can select in the cab whether you want to use 1 or both and they are both waterproof.

tatra813

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

cranetruck said:
Much appreciated! Are the brake drums waterproof?
No I dont think so I dont remember any seals or anything on the drum when pulling the drum off, I recall reading in the manual they say to hit the brakes a bunch of times after a water crossing to dry them out.

tatra813

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

cranetruck said:
As far as capacity of the air compressor it is a 2 cylinder and I think each cylinder is about the size of a m35a2 air compressor, so its about double the capacity, it does however take a long time to fill tires if they are really flat, its not as quick as I thought it would be.
but its nice to have if you have a slow leak in a tire that happened on a trail etc.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

Yeah, I figured that it would take 15-20 minutes to go from, say 15 psi to 60 (1 Bar to 4 Bar) based on capacity and tire volume.
What kind of air dryer is used? (told you I have a bunch of questions). :)

tatra813

Here are som e pics of my first tatra

Here are some pics of ther interior of my first tatra that I am redoing

I rhino coated the engine hump covering and applied a rubberized coating on everything else with a roller. It turned out excellent!! I was very pleased with the product very heavy duty and durable and it looks professional with little effort! It also acts as sound deadening and everything is waterproof!!

Attachments

tatra813

RE: Here are som e pics of my first tatra

The rubberized coating I used was called durabak, look it up on the web if you are interested, its made for do it yourself bedliner on pickups, its awsome I was very impressed and it looks just as good and is as thick as the rhino coat I had done on the engine hump.

After getting into the cab now with muddy boots I just hose it out and I drilled a few drain holes for the water and then its just like new again. The sound deadening is the best feature especially in a tatra

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for posting the images!
What are those "dummy" lights on the instrument panel, sure is a bunch of them? Are the large instruments multifunction types, say clock and tach?
Do you need to remove the entire engine hatch cover to check oil, for example, or are there individual access panels?

RenatoPietsch

The indicator lights are for switched on differentials, light etc.. The speedometer is a combination instrument of air pressure, tank, temperature. Around oil level of the engine to examine must on under the bumper a dipstick regard. Attention the injection pump of the Tatra has its own lubrication and it must an individual cover of the engine cowling be opened above. The oil level in the injection pump should be examined all 1000 km. The engine cover consists everyone of 3 parts and can be opened individually.

tatra813

Re: RE: Here are som e pics of my first tatra

RenatoPietsch said:
The indicator lights are for switched on differentials, light etc.. The speedometer is a combination instrument of air pressure, tank, temperature. Around oil level of the engine to examine must on under the bumper a dipstick regard. Attention the injection pump of the Tatra has its own lubrication and it must an individual cover of the engine cowling be opened above. The oil level in the injection pump should be examined all 1000 km. The engine cover consists everyone of 3 parts and can be opened individually.
I pulled the dip stick on the injector pump to check the level and it isnt clear to me where the level is supposed to be. How far up the stick is the level supposed to be ??

also are you using brake fluid dot3 for the clutch resevoir, and automatic transmission fluid for the power steering? Im just trying to make sure the right fluids are going to be used when topping up. The manual calls for oils Im not familiar with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks