• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration underway

ranchhopper

I bought a nice CJ3A a while back and have started to give it a facelift since most military jeeps are out of my price range I have decided to make a M38 clone. I have a real nice base to work with virtually rust free at one time it was retubbed with a surry jeep tub so I took the jeep and sold off the rims and tires, roll bar, soft top and other bits and pieces to fund the buying of new parts. I started by welding up all the holes drilled into it over the years took the gas tanks out and had the local radiator shop boil them out and check for holes then the whole front clip went to the media blaster and was taken down to bare metal and was surprised no bondo or filler. Took the original grille and enlarged the turn signal openings to install black out lights also fabbed up some mounts and welded them in to mount them to. This morning I tow barred the chassis down to where I work and I steam cleaned it later today the chassis got a fresh coat of POR-15 tomorrow it gets top coated with a fresh coat of OD. So far it has had the differential covers removed new gaskets installed as well as pinion seals it will get a new carb next week and the engine will get a fresh set of gaskets as well as plugs, wires, cap and rotor and points. I found a real nice set of rims in michigan not crazy about the color but they will get new paint along the way the tires even hold air good enough to roll it around while working on it. Heres a few pics from when I picked it up to the stage Im at with it now.

Attachments

zout

The channels look in really nice shape under the body - even the rear brace - work is looking very nice and
you surely have a winner on your hands.

dougimes

Looks great. I made the same choice a few years back, changed a cj3a into an m38, if you go to

http://wartimetrucks.com

I have a picture of the finished product. You can get as close as you want to. I ran down most of the details, but stopped short of changing the bell housing, which is different on the m38. I post a list of the mods I had to make if you are interested.

ranchhopper

Thanks appreciate any help is a plus I got most of the body ODed yesterday welded a new support into the hood I picked up from a 2A have to do a bit more to the engine and I can start putting the front end together.
Looks great. I made the same choice a few years back, changed a cj3a into an m38, if you go to

http://wartimetrucks.com

I have a picture of the finished product. You can get as close as you want to. I ran down most of the details, but stopped short of changing the bell housing, which is different on the m38. I post a list of the mods I had to make if you are interested.

zout

That jeepie looks like your getting ready for battle and looking sweet - your going to have a blast in it. Your lucky yours does not belong to your wife.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Ford tractor, has the same loader as my 1963 4000...

Jeep looks good! will pass a drive by and probably a pretty close inspection.

Jeeps are just meant to be green!

ranchhopper

I really like it thats going to be my summer ride I just ordered the decals for it they should be here next week Adam that is a ford 4000 industrial it was manufactured for the USAF in 1970 still has the data plates on it I bought it out of NJ off the GSA.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go Kevin! Another super project out of your garage![thumbzup] I thought that the wife was going to drive it in parades? Thanks for the pics and the update. Can't wait to see the decals on her.

God bless,
Tony

ranchhopper

Tony my wife doesnt know how to drive anything with a manual trans I like it that way any toys I buy and dont want her to drive I make sure it has a manual trans the jeep should be ready for parade season it starts in a couple weeks.
Way to go Kevin! Another super project out of your garage![thumbzup] I thought that the wife was going to drive it in parades? Thanks for the pics and the update. Can't wait to see the decals on her.

God bless,
Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks