• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Gauges?

rtbcoop

Has anyone replaced their older gauge set withaftermarket Gauges? The gauges on my deuce are very hard to read at night. I would also like my gauges to match when I add my pro and boost gauge. Thanks for any help!

jackrps13

Bump

Did you ever do anything about this? This is the exact same reason that I want to upgrade my gauges in my deuce plus my fuel and coolant temp gauges do not work so I was wanting to replace and upgrade.

steelandcanvas

Why don't you troubleshoot the existing gauges and find a EGT (Pyro) and Boost gauge to match that, instead of replacing all the gauges? There are threads on changing lamps on the instrument panel to increase night time visibility. I found an EGT and Boost that come fairly close to the OEM gauges, I even had the factory install 24 Volt Red LED's to mimic the lighting. Hewitt Industries, California.

Attachments

jackrps13

Steelandcanvas thank you for the input those gauges look pretty cool. I plan to diag what is making the stock gauges not work before I decide to replace the gauges. While I can appreciate the restoration of these trucks I wanted to bring mine more into the present and try to make it a bit easier to drive especially at night. I was wanting to get some newer and clearer back lit gauges. I was thinking of using an array of voltage regulators to step down the signals from 24v to 12v to use aftermarket automotive gauges. Most of my searches for gauges or instrument clusters on here has just brought me to diag guides for the stock gauges

steelandcanvas

Folks have replaced the standard side-lighting lamp with a replacement lamp, where the filament is further toward the top of the glass envelope, providing for better light. This other lamp may make night time visibility a little more acceptable, however you may still wish to replace the existing gauges due to age and scratched faces. I have trouble reading my gauges at night also, but as long as the needles are in the 12 o'clock position, (except for air pressure) I know that the engine systems are OK. Someone (Bjorn) may chime in and have that replacement lamp number...I know I had it somewhere. Welcome to the site by the way!

jackrps13

Thank you steelandcanvas I love this site already it is full of very helpful information. My fuel level is one thing because I can look down into the tank but the engine conditions are something I want to be able to monitor. Those gauges you recommended from hewitt industries look like they will do the job quite nicely.

steelandcanvas

I chose the Hewitt gauges because they didn't require any power (except for the back lighting) to operate. I had the factory install the 24 Volt LED's, and purchased the mount from Jeg's Performance or Summit Racing. The EGT Gauge I previously posted is not exactly the same unit I have. My choice was the EGT with the 270 degree needle sweep, which I thought would be more accurate. Sorry the photo isn't more clear, but I think you can see the needle sweep I'm speaking of.

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the bulb thing,
dash bulbs.jpg

You can also increase brightness, but no longer so red perhaps, by drilling the lens caps,

2008 0112 xm757 dash lens cap.jpg

Most of all, your instrument cluster may need a cleaning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks