• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M105A2 Camper Build

AGE|kshaufl

Okay so here is what I have done so far. I have removed the vinyl tarp and bows. They will be used later. I have used the raised basement flooring for the floor. The rest is pretty easy to tell. 2x4's and 2x2's for framing. 3 windows from a local HW store. 1-1/2" insulation. Electrical riser channel for the sides.

IMG_1220.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1222.jpgIMG_1223.jpgIMG_1224.jpgIMG_1225.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1227.jpgIMG_1228.jpgIMG_1229.jpg

AGE|kshaufl

Here is the trailer framed in with some of the siding on and all of the windows in.

I will be reusing the tarp and bows for the roof. My plan is to roll back the tarp on those warm nights of camping.

IMG_1229.jpgIMG_1230.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpgIMG_1234.jpgIMG_1235.jpg

I will be adding 2 deep cycle glass mat batteries for power with a solar charging pack. This will tilt up from the left side of the trailer when parked.

The trailer should still look military from the outside when completed (Just a little taller).

Can't wait to get it finished.

Oh the budget was $500.00 and I am coming it right at budget, minus the solar and batteries.

DeucesWild11

Hey that looks great! I am sure there are plenty of people thinking of doing this. Just curious how normal house windows will handle the bumping around of the trailer on the road. Did you add any rubber cushion around them? Hope they don't give you any problems but it would be a concern of mine if I were installing them.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Real nice work Ken.
Looking forward to see the finished product.

PS, know anyone that wants to buy a boat? Lol......;)

3dAngus

That's going to be fantastic. Good comment about the windows. You might want to be extra slow going 4 wheeling.

I like it!!

AGE|kshaufl

The windows should be okay. They are free floating in the frame and I gave them wiggle room so they won't break.

That M101A2 looks nice. Not quite tall enough for me though. My wife and I are a little large for the M101A2 LOL.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. Very worthwhile thread!
I like the spare tire mount. I was going to use a M35a2 mount underneath, but I may steal your idea.
You could even cut a duct into the floor and mount a window AC unit under the trailer and cool your meat. :shock:

AGE|kshaufl

The spare tire mount was, I believe, a field mod. 11Echo could clear that up. I got the trailer from him.

Thanks I will. I have all of the outside on but still need to caulk and paint it. The back door should be on tomorrow and I'll post more pics as more is completed.

I will be making a trip to the local auto parts store for some of the electrical that I am going to install.

Last edited:

AGE|kshaufl

Okay, so I have made a little progress. The outside is sealed, the top is on, it is painted, paneling is up inside and I am making a frame for the bed. I'll post some pictures tomorrow if it is not raining.

Sorry for the delay in updates. My back has been acting up again so I had to take a break.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spare tire mount was, I believe, a field mod. 11Echo could clear that up. I got the trailer from him.

Thanks I will. I have all of the outside on but still need to caulk and paint it. The back door should be on tomorrow and I'll post more pics as more is completed.

I will be making a trip to the local auto parts store for some of the electrical that I am going to install.
The trailer was one of several I had purchased that were 101st Airborne turn ins. Many of their trailers I've seen had the spare tire modification.

14.5's 11.jpg23936174a.jpgTrailer recovery 1 021.jpg23936146.jpgTrailer recovery 1 022.jpg

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does that work? Do you have to lift the tire up to it, or does it lay down when the landing gear is down and come off sideways?

Don't mean to derail this thread, just need to know more about that cool spare holder ;)

AGE|kshaufl

Sorry. I have not been on for a while. Work has had me really busy. I have added a few things. I have the Futon style bed installed, a solar panel (5 Watt), and some carpet. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks