• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"reconditioned" gas tank

drlogistics

Next up on my to-do list is my gas tank. It hasn't been used in a long time. It is full of rust dust. I've been running the truck off a plastic 5 gallon tank mounted to the driver side step. Not exactly DOT approved. And it just plain looks wrong. The original tank looks like it would hold gas but I didn't want to spend the money to have it professionally reconditioned. Actually, my wife didn't want me to spend the money to have it done. So, I decided to hide a new tank inside the old one. I came across several brand new gas tanks that were supposed to be destroyed by the company that tested them. Lucky for me, they left a few intact. Some quick dumpster diving yielded some great treasure. I found a tank that fits inside the m211 tank. So today I started the project. In true Gunfreak fashion, the following statements correspond to the pictures.

1. The old tank ready to be cut.

2. The new tank.

3. New and old side view.

4. Top cut with an angle grinder. I do not claim to be a master fabricator so I don't need to hear about how the cut isn't straight. My truck will never be a museum piece.

5. The top removed exposing the baffles.

6. This is the underside of the top piece. Obviously it is in much better shape than the rest of the tank.

I will be doing some more work on it tomorrow. Hopefully including fabricating the filler neck and the some kind of system to keep the new tank stationary inside the old one.

Attachments

YkDave

any ol closed cell foam should do the trick, though i dont think you will find anything that is going to like gas! so make sure their is no chance of laks during filling or the vent.

Whats the capacity of that new tank? Looks a tad small, though i suppose if you go for short rides its not too bad LOL

Captaincarrier

We clean tanks daily; boats, farm, construction, military, etc. Gasoline, diesel, fuel oil, any of the fuels and this is what keeps us busy, dirty fuel tanks. In this case a good fuel filter with proper care could have save the original tank from being as it is now. Oh well, "to each his own". As for pouring a foam around the tank. The chemical reaction when it 'kicks' will reshape that tank.

nattieleather

After you cut the tank open you should sandblast it and weld up pin holes then weld the top back on and not worry about fitting another tank inside it. To me it seems less work to do what I just typed than to try and make that tank work....but that's just my way of thinking. Your truck do as you want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks