• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 spare tire location

bo911miller

Has anyone ever fabbed a spare tire mount for the rear doors on a m1010? Would the stock door hinges support the weight of a 37 inch tire and wheel?

I am hesitant to mount a spare on the roof . I do not want to make it any more top heavy than it is

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I'm not an engineer, the doors hinges don't seem sturdy enough, especially for a 37" tire. Perhaps a mount that bolts on to the lift shackel.

MilChevyguy

Does an M1010 actually come with a spare??......now that I think of it, I don't have a spare ! !

(Oh well, I guess I need to be driving it to worry about that)

If anyone has pics of their set up..post away and let us learn

stevoMT

Good day gentleman. I've been contemplating a few ideas to get a full size spare somewhere on my truck, since a 37 will not really fit in the old spot. I've come to realize I'm am probably stuck it hanging off the back somewhere. Somewhere along the line my truck had some 3" square tubing welded on the back underneath the rear bumper. It serves its purpose pretty well by extending out further than any point in the rear, protecting the back somewhat, and it keeps you from tearing off your license plate off road! So I figured I could incorporate it.
DSCN2548.jpgIMAG0203.jpg

I was trying to figure out geometry to give the truck a place on the rear drivers side to be strong enough to support a 37" tire when it was swung out all the way. I built a couple of these bumpers for my old jeep and bronco so thats were my brain was focused. I'm fairly confident that could be accomplished and it would probably work fairly well. But with the amount of steel that it would take I started thinking of some different idea's that are a little non-traditional. Since its going to take a lot of steel therefor a lot of weight to make some kind of tire rack I came up with an idea to utilize the square tubing on the back of my truck and design a "slide" out tire rack. I spent a few hours crunching numbers and calculating moment's of inertia and came to the conclusion that it should probably hold up. Especially if you added a second area to pin the mechanism higher up on the truck for when the truck is moving. I was thinking that a piece of 1.5" x 2.5" square tubing could be inserted into the lower square tubing and ride on a set of rollers that you would whip out in the lathe. The entire assembly would then slide out 40 or so inches so your spare tire can clear the rear drivers door.

m1010 spare tire 001.jpgm1010 spare tire 002.jpgm1010 spare tire 003.jpg

At first I was contemplating use PTFE (teflon) or something like that and having it slide through it like a boom on a crane. But since its located at a mud gathering spot I didn't think that would be a terrific idea. So I came to the conclusion of some kind of roller set up. My dad has a light plant that just has a square tubing boom that they cut out slots and just welded a shaft with bearings to provide a telescoping bearing setup. So that can be tweaked as needed. But the general idea is to just unpin the thing and have it slide out to the point where it clears. The important thing to this design is when it is in the "go down the road, or off the road ;)" position it be secured higher up on the rear bumper somewhere. That way it is pinned in two places and should have no issue with being able to handle anything the rest of the truck is experiencing.

Another idea I had since either of the two require 75 pounds of steel is to make a pivoting rack that swings out side ways. Utilizing an ATV winch to raise and lower it. You can buy a decent winch for $100 and it would have more than enough strength to lift it. They winch weighs about 26 lbs. It would take about 800 lbs of force to lift up the "200 lb" tire I threw in a little safety factor. Utilizing a similar Pin or locking device you wouldn't worry about it going down the road since there would be no tension on the winch. The only time the winch see's strain is lifting and lowering. I think it would be pretty easy to hide compared to a big old swing out tire rack. Just a thought.
m1010 spare tire winch.jpg

Last edited:
My ultimate fantasy plan (which is unlikely to happen due to lack of proper tools and facilities) was to fab a type of exoskeleton around the box that would provide mounts for a roofrack and a swinging gate over the rear drivers side door. The gate would serve as a mount for a spare tire, fuel, HiLift jack, shovel, etc. Made with 1-1 1/2" DOM tube, you could incorporate a ladder into the side to access the roof while providing some protection to the box. You could even go as far as extending the cage to protect the cab too. Unfortunately I don't have a way of posting the drawings of it, but I think you should be able to get the idea.

jesusgatos

The best hinge setup I've seen/used is actually the stock spare tire carrier from an H2. Much sturdier than most of the aftermarket parts, and would be easy to adapt to one of these. Have one that I might put on my truck.

L1A1

Just an observation here. All of you guys with the spares mounted underneith the bed of your CUCVs may at some point before you actually need it remove the tire from it's mount & have a look at it. Make sure it isn't dry rotted or flat. Out of sight, out of mind...Nothing worse then struggling to remove that spare & finally get it out only to discover that it too is also flat......
Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an observation here. All of you guys with the spares mounted underneith the bed of your CUCVs may at some point before you actually need it remove the tire from it's mount & have a look at it. Make sure it isn't dry rotted or flat. Out of sight, out of mind...Nothing worse then struggling to remove that spare & finally get it out only to discover that it too is also flat......
Matt
Great suggestion. My M1010 had an additional nut under the threaded piece you tighten up. Once the extra nut was removed, the tire fell right out. The piece that threads onto the rod has a threaded nylon insert. I was able to chase down a new one and the lock plate too. The tire was not only flat but very rotten. That gets replaced before the GA Rally. I'm going to see if an LT255/85R16 will fit up there.

stevoMT

DSCN2862.jpgDSCN2863.jpgDSCN2864.jpgDSCN2866.jpgDSCN2892.jpgDSCN2895.jpgDSCN2897.jpg

I ended up utilizing the area where the stock rear towing shackle bolted to the frame. I tied it into the piece of steel that was welded beneath the rear bumper as well. I utilized some large bearings that would be used in a stub axle on an implement. Its ridiculously stout and shouldn't have any issue with a 37" tire ~140 lbs.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks