• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my M146 Build

agazza2

After 3 weekends of sanding, I finally have some camo applied to the outside of the trailer. Now just have to get all the information markings painted back on (tie-down, tire pressure, ect). In the process of getting the trailer ready for a car show at the end of October. Now that the outside is looking better, I can go back to work on the inside. Next week I will be adding the larger generator to the side compartment to power the AC unit. Should make more comfortable to work in the Phoenix heat.

20140914_095612.jpg20140914_095555.jpg

And the original color of the trailer and truck taken in December 2013

Tx Canyon 2.jpg

Last edited:

agazza2

Thanks Rayzer and Camoyj7. With about four different coats of paint on this thing it was taking 60 grit sandpaper to even even out the chips. Still need to go back, and lower all the windows and mask it back off and paint anything where any tan is visable.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint looks great! Are you painting the top properly, or cheating like me and doing "shoulder camo"?
(On my larger stuff- M185, M146, etc.; the camo goes up and just over the edge of the roof (the shoulder), the top of the roof is white. Not "correct", but much cooler in the Texas sun, and no one can see it from ground level).

Cheers

agazza2

Paint looks great! Are you painting the top properly, or cheating like me and doing "shoulder camo"?
(On my larger stuff- M185, M146, etc.; the camo goes up and just over the edge of the roof (the shoulder), the top of the roof is white. Not "correct", but much cooler in the Texas sun, and no one can see it from ground level).

Cheers
Rory, Since I already painted the roof with the white rubberized coating last year, I decided to keep the white since it is noticeably cooler even in the Phoenix heat. So I guess I have the shoulder camo, but I do not think the US Military will use it again, unless some General wants new quarters. But they will have to send a Marine to come and take it from me :)

agazza2

Window Trim Finsihed.

Finished a few more things during the last couple of weeks. The trim around all windows is now completed, new WEN generator is installed, and the front corner I finished installing the FRP panels from Lowes. Put the FRP on the side door, but need to finish the trim work around the window, and some final touch-up painting on the trim and walls. Next weekend I will paint on the Unit numbers and all labels back on the outside of the trailer (Tie Down, Lift, Ext...) The trailer should at least be very presentable for the October 25th car show.

I went down to buy 3 more lite weight paint able FRP panels from Lowes and found out they now longer carry them. They only carry the heavier ones. Now I have to figure out what I will do for the ceiling.

20140921_095023.jpg20140921_094956.jpg20141013_160327.jpg20141013_160400.jpg20141013_160559.jpg

Last edited:

agazza2

Camper looks great. Did you decide what to do for the ceiling?
Thank you. I sold it before I finished the ceiling. I was going to use the same material that I did on the walls on the ceiling. I think another good option would be to use thin aluminum sheets and rivet them to the beams and then add trim.

Cooklie Monster

Super interesting build- thanks for the post. I am thinking about converting a M-146 into a tiny house. I see you cut through the roof for the AC. Is there a lot of structural framing in the roof that limits where you could cut into it? Is the roof framed like a modern dry van, with ribbing? I am considering adding a pop up camper roof for a sleeping loft, and wondering what the limitations might be. thank you!

agazza2

Super interesting build- thanks for the post. I am thinking about converting a M-146 into a tiny house. I see you cut through the roof for the AC. Is there a lot of structural framing in the roof that limits where you could cut into it? Is the roof framed like a modern dry van, with ribbing? I am considering adding a pop up camper roof for a sleeping loft, and wondering what the limitations might be. thank you!
There is side to side structural framing but not as much end to end. I built the framing for the AC out of steel to connect the structural framing that runs from side to side to provide strength. The roof is strong enough to walk on, so I do not see any problem with installation the AC up there with some added steel tie in brackets. I think I used big daddy rivets, but it could also be bolted in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks