• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my M146 Build

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Putting rubberized white reflective sealing coating to the roof is one of the best things anyone can do a trailer or box you are planning to mod into a camper. It is amazing how much it cuts down on the heat load. I just did the top of the box and the roof of the cab Friday, really wasn't planning to to the cab roof but as I burnt my hand on the brown camo getting down from doing the box it was a no brainier!001.jpg

agazza2

Putting rubberized white reflective sealing coating to the roof is one of the best things anyone can do a trailer or box you are planning to mod into a camper. It is amazing how much it cuts down on the heat load. I just did the top of the box and the roof of the cab Friday, really wasn't planning to to the cab roof but as I burnt my hand on the brown camo getting down from doing the box it was a no brainier!View attachment 433165
You can definitely feel this difference to the roof when you have a full sun on it and the walls at the same time. It makes big difference and also provides additional sealing capability. I will buy one more gallon when I go to Houston this weekend. Need to pick up a few more things from PPL RV Supply. Camo looks good MWMULES.

agazza2

Installed the kitchen cabinet today. Added some wood blocks to the floor under the cabinet to secure it from the top, sides and bottom. I am sure it won't go anywhere, as when I shake the cabinet, the whole trailer moves. Next is to install the top, and sink. Installed support behind the drywall between the two wall plates for the TV to attach to in the future. Also attaching a picture of the tub I will use. I am thinking about installing the shower faucet assemble on the back wall, so I can have a access panel in the small space in front of the bathroom. This would only be used to access the back of the faucet in case there are leaks or needs to be changed in the future.

20130609_104325.jpg20130609_110739.jpg20130609_111532.jpg20130609_120252.jpg

Last edited:

agazza2

Be sure and use green board in the shower area on the walls.
Usally those shower wall pannels have to be glued anyway.
I used vinal flooring glued to the walls for my surround, it worked very well and people think its tile.
Imo, buy contractors bags of pex brass fittings and rings, you will need alot of them.
It took 60' of 1/2" pex to plumb mine so far.
Rayzer, I was wondering if that was vinyl flooring for your shower surround. It looks great. Wish they would make a shower surround that had that appearance. I thought it was tile when I first looked at your photos. Think your going to have to start that Rayzers M146 RV club, with as many people going to do RV conversions of their trailers. Keep up the good work, as we all enjoy reading about your latest mods.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the brand/type for this rubberized roof coating? I have seen the roofers use it from 5 gallon buckets over metal roofing, but I never paid much attention to it. I think it has ceramic material in it if I remember. How many gallons does the 146 roof need?

quickfarms

What is the brand/type for this rubberized roof coating? I have seen the roofers use it from 5 gallon buckets over metal roofing, but I never paid much attention to it. I think it has ceramic material in it if I remember. How many gallons does the 146 roof need?
Mine came from Home Depot and i used half of a big pail on the S280

agazza2

NDT - I used Cool Seal Reflective roof coating (Elastomeric roof coating) made for aluminum RV roofs. I bought it from PPL RV in Houston Texas. It was $44 a gallon, and right now they have $9.99 s/h. I covered it with 1 gallon, but will buy one more to get the proper coverage and thickness. It also says there is a 10 year warranty.

agazza2

your progressing very nicely! makes me feel like i have been on the slow train with my M971 build..
jdknech, thank you. I have been watching your build. You are coming along quite quickly as well, and even have a place to sleep. Plus you have a larger area to design. Keep up the good work.

jdknech

jdknech, thank you. I have been watching your build. You are coming along quite quickly as well, and even have a place to sleep. Plus you have a larger area to design. Keep up the good work.
thanks for the good words! i have been working on it non-stop every day i am off work (i work 3 on/4 off) it is mostly done, and has running hot (and cold) water.. i want to put down a floor like you have, but ran out of time, and money before the haspin rally (had to choose between the floor, and the rally.... the rally won lol)

i really like your walls!! this give's me ideas for mine... the white walls i used in mine are giving me issues.. (when it gets hot, they expand, and pop off the wall runners..) so after haspin they will be getting reworked..

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have used Sealbest white elastomeric roof did my M109 roof years ago and it is still good took two 1 gal pails to to my 146 roof used only one pail to do two coats on the 14' box in the picture and have a little left over. I brushed the seams then used a roller with long handle to apply and waited a day before I put on the second coat, I just pour it on the roof and roll it out. You can get it at any big home improvement store about $22 a pail. I apply it mid morning and when no rain is foretasted for a couple of days

Last edited:

agazza2

Made a small amount of progress this weekend, as I had two events to go to with the trucks this weekend. I did get the kitchen counter top installed and the Sink installed. Once I put the faucet in today I will post some pics.

I did get the bid on the storage containers out of Hooks, that I will use under my trailers. Ended up with a few more than I wanted so I can take the best ones for my trailer, and maybe one or two for around the house. The boxes are 84"L x 42"w x 30"H & 64"L x 42" x 30"H. I will use two of the 84" ones along the side after I modify the width. I have attached a FedEx Trailer pic that I am trying to achieve the same look on my M146, with the exception the sides will open. The pic of the 84" storage box is attached. I will build a frame around this to support it to the trailer. Then between the two boxes (Down the center of the trailer) will be the Fresh, Black, and Grey water tanks. Once I mount the storage boxes, I will determine if I will need any access holes for the plumbing traps, ect.

Storage Box front.jpgStorage Box open.jpgFedEx Trailer.jpg

agazza2

Tommys2patrick, Thank you, but must of my build out is a from ideas that Rayzer did to his M146. There will be differences I do in some of the materials. You should go through Rayzers M146 build to be truely inspired. It is a learning experience for all of us. Create a link to your build when you start, as we would like to follow your progress. The trailers in Indy looked like nice trailers.

RAYZER

Looking good agazza!what material is that you used in the squares? Did you run your 120v wireing for the baseboard outlets behind the baseboard, or come up from underneath?

agazza2

Looking good agazza!what material is that you used in the squares? Did you run your 120v wireing for the baseboard outlets behind the baseboard, or come up from underneath?
Rayzer,
I used laminate for counter tops in the squares to cover the plywood. The counter top material matches the one I used for the kitchen counter. I did run the 120V wiring in the opening behind the baseboards. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to get some time to start working on the M146 again.

agazza2

Finally had a chance to do some more work on my M146. Seems like months since I last worked on it. But time give you the chance to look at all the options and things to purchase at Lowes, and Home Depot on sale. This weekend I worked on the bathroom sink installation, and Surround around the bathtub. Still need to finish the wall behind the toilet, and then add a divider about the bottom, and then start on the top portion of the walls and the ceiling.

Next I will run some switches for DC powered lights in the wall prior to finishing it out next to the door going into the bathroom. Also want to start building the counter for the kitchen to hold a small AC/DC refrigerator and induction cooktop on the surface of the counter. Here are a few pics of this weekends work.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks