• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for everyone's favorite game!!!!! I.D. That Jeep!!!!!!

M715VFD405

Ok I've got a hard one well at least to me anyway lol. This is a barn find and I think it's a M38 but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the M38 and the civy ones? The pictures are from the owners cell phone so the quality is bad but I'm hoping someone will spot something they recognize and be able to tell me one way or the other. Yeah I can prolly make it a clone but I won't pay as much if it's not an M38 and I'm to honest not to find out for sure. It has a few features I know are military but those could have been added sometime in the past 60 or so years. Thanks for the help guys.

0401131849a_281606.jpg0401131849b_310193.jpg0401131849d_314628.jpg

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38. Can't be a M38a1, that tailgate looks factory. also, the map compartment is on the right. And if I remember my M38A1 correctly, the headlight rings were actually set back in the grill.

M715VFD405

I know it's not an M38a1 just an M38 you can tell from pic 2 you can see the grill and see it's not rounded like the m38a1 and at least 2 or 3 of the rims are not correct but in the first pic you can see an ndt on there still.

Last edited:

BillF

The frame is not m38. The body is an m38 body, along with m38 engine (I only say this because it has a lot of m38 parts on it), carb and a few other m38 parts.

Last edited:

M715VFD405

He told me he has another frame with it and another tranny apparently the one in it is froze. I wish he had better pictures, I am going to try and go see it this weekend if I can. If I do I'll be taking a lot of pics to add to this thread, I want to know everything before I make a solid offer on this project. It has potential and I won't pass up a chance to save a piece of history. Work I don't mind a bit I just wanna know what I have here. Any info or theories are welcome there is nothing to identify this jeep other then a few pieces so I'm open to theory and places to look to make a competent choice for an ID in this jeep.

M813A1

It almost looks like a civi CJ2 with a few military items added . To me that looks like a M38A1 tailgate and the tub does too because it kinda look like a mail jeep from the rear and the M38A1 and the mail jeeps came off the same productionlines

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CJ2A frame with M38 body. It's a Bitsa Jeep. Made of bitsa this, and bitsa that. They are very common.

Regardless, if he doesn't have a matching frame for the M38 body, you can still match what you have together and make a Jeep that won't be original, be will still be fun!

greasemonkey94

AHHHH!!!! the frankenstien jeep!!! thats rough well from what i can see it deffinetly has military parts but it might cost more than its worth for parts unless it runs but it has mil spec lights and dash and it either is a cj2a or m38 i would guess m38 from what i see did you check the data plates?

M715VFD405

So civy frame mv m38 body. Or at least a good start to a clone. I'll try and get good pix of that other frame maybe its the right one. Maddawg has a point no one from john q public is gonna know the differance the price is cheap I think I might make an off on it and see if he bites I just wanted to know exactly what it was before I made an offer thanks guys

BillF

Hard to tell from the photos if it is a cj2a frame or cj3a. The body is m38. Let me know if you want any specific photos of an m38 as I can take some of mine.

zout

Da big question to ask - Do you have a title.
I did not see any sign on the tailgate of a former license plate. The multi postion bar on the back looks like it spent some time doing farm work at one time.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I can ID many aspects of the Jeep from a photo, but how are you fellas IDing the frame from those photos?

BillF

M38 frame has hinges where the grill mounts and is boxed from the front cross-member to the front bumper. I think it is a cj3a frame because it does not have the gussets a cj2a frame has, but it is hard to see from the photos for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks