• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to put in a M151 for display?

199th mp

one small clarification for my previous post---when i wrote "smokes and frags", i was referring to smoke grenades, not cigarettes. since i never smoked, i often traded my c rat smokes for fruit cocktail or peaches out of c rat meals to guys that were desperate for more smokes. and toptiger gets the credit for the "no bridge plate" reference.

vtdeucedriver

one small clarification for my previous post---when i wrote "smokes and frags", i was referring to smoke grenades, not cigarettes. since i never smoked, i often traded my c rat smokes for fruit cocktail or peaches out of c rat meals to guys that were desperate for more smokes. and toptiger gets the credit for the "no bridge plate" reference.
We're you one of the many that also ate his peaches with the pound cake??? I have a friend who openly admits that his favorite was the ham n eggs. He said he always had plenty of them.

btw I'm about to use some of those brake parts I got from you a couple of yrs ago. Glad I picked them up. :)

Last edited:

jluv1185

This is all great info! You can't find this stuff in the history books. You can only get it from the vets that were there. I was hoping members would have some input, but im getting a better response than I hoped for. I want to do right by y'all.

jluv1185

Does anyone know where I can get a gutted but intact RT-524 radio? I want to put a small audio player (iPod) with music, radio chatter, and other sounds from vietnam so it can play "through" the radio. I think it would bring some life and more attention to the display.

199th mp

We're you one of the many that also ate his peaches with the pound cake??? I have a friend who openly admits that his favorite was the ham n eggs. He said he always had plenty of them.

btw I'm about to use some of those brake parts I got from you a couple of yrs ago. Glad I picked them up. :)
yes, i would combine them, but i could not even GAG down the ham and lima beans. i also ate my share of the hershey tropical bars, reviled by many but tolerated by some. the white bread in a can always was crumbly, yet hard on the inside. how did they do that? last week at tower park i bought a c rat to bring home and show my wife what was in one of them. pork slices in main can, candy discs in the unit can and peanut butter with crackers. i don't think it smelled any worse that it did 40+ years ago. i was not hard core enough to taste it. shame on me...glad the brake parts will be useful.

199th mp

Does anyone know where I can get a gutted but intact RT-524 radio? I want to put a small audio player (iPod) with music, radio chatter, and other sounds from vietnam so it can play "through" the radio. I think it would bring some life and more attention to the display.
check with jarhead out of nevada, or tony banks. they might have a lead for you. maybe also rainman on the 838.

steelandcanvas

Some recorded broadcasts from Armed Forces Network back in the day would be cool.

vtdeucedriver

I have about 12 hrs of AFVN. A former DJ was big into formatting the recordings and selling them on DVD's. I got the bulk of my collection from him. I have his address somewhere. I also have 4 cd's of the "first termer". You can Internet search that. I also have two with a aviation unit radio chatter doing a full mission from start up to shut down. But my favorite out of all is a recording of a troop movement that gets ambushed. I will play it on occasion with my Prc77 setup. It still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.
get a small transistor radio of the time period for the AFVN and use the 524 for any radio traffic. I usually get asked, is that Afghanistan? They give a puzzled look when I say 1970.

vtdeucedriver

yes, i would combine them, but i could not even GAG down the ham and lima beans. i also ate my share of the hershey tropical bars, reviled by many but tolerated by some. the white bread in a can always was crumbly, yet hard on the inside. how did they do that? last week at tower park i bought a c rat to bring home and show my wife what was in one of them. pork slices in main can, candy discs in the unit can and peanut butter with crackers. i don't think it smelled any worse that it did 40+ years ago. i was not hard core enough to taste it. shame on me...glad the brake parts will be useful.
I usually buy all the c's I find that we're separated from their boxes long ago. Usually at displays I will open one up and show what it looks like today. I will admit, I have eaten the shortbread, crackers and John Wayne bar from 66 to 71 dates and I am still here. Once I empty the contents (opened with a p-38). I will make either a in the field c heater or use the can for a VC booby trap display.

rickf

A little hint about the radio chatter, the one you like so much about the ambush.......................... some may not like it as well as yourself. Upbeat stuff like normal chatter from patrols and aircraft is fine but be careful with the ambush and live action stuff. Flashbacks are very unpleasant.

Jeff, one of your posts you mention sunscreen from home. I had to laugh, this was a little before sunscreen, you just burned until you were brown. And believe me, the bugs bit in town also. I can still smell that bug juice! That stuff would dissolve anything made of plastic!! Cheap watch crystals, steering wheels and you ought to see what it did to a Bic pen!!!!!

Rick

vtdeucedriver

A little hint about the radio chatter, the one you like so much about the ambush.......................... some may not like it as well as yourself. Upbeat stuff like normal chatter from patrols and aircraft is fine but be careful with the ambush and live action stuff. Flashbacks are very unpleasant.

Jeff, one of your posts you mention sunscreen from home. I had to laugh, this was a little before sunscreen, you just burned until you were brown. And believe me, the bugs bit in town also. I can still smell that bug juice! That stuff would dissolve anything made of plastic!! Cheap watch crystals, steering wheels and you ought to see what it did to a Bic pen!!!!!

Rick
Rick it's is my favorite as it has all the aspects of everyone working together to remedy the situation. I certainly do understand its effects on others and this is the reason I have only played it 3 times in public.

Lindsaym151

Thier where plenty of A2's in country! From tow missle to bare trucks with no tops. You want it to look authentic, put a Keg in the back and put property of US NAVY

L1A1

With regard to weather or not A2s were used in RVN, from what I was told the US Military predominately used the M151A1s while M151A2s were shipped over & given to the ARVN as replacements for lost A1s. There is an M151 owner's club in Saigon and all of the M151s shown are M151A2s. According to them, all of the A1s were used up years ago.
Matt

rickf

There were A2's there late in our time there, The regular A2's went to the MP's and the rest were 825's with TOW setup's on them. I never saw a regular A2 in the field, just the towns and cities with the MP's. We did give a bunch of them to the ARVINS when we "left".

AIE1

picture taken late 71 or early 72, at one of 1st Cav Fire Bases. This is Don Tully Company driver after spending his time in the bush of D Co. 1st Bn. 7th Cav. We were not MP's, Airmobile Infantry. A fellow Cav trooper sent me this picture from his collection. A2's were there with the Cav.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks