• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF 97 & Arizona DMV

Rifleman

Hndrsonj, ya we do things kind of different out here. Case in point how long our drivers lic are good for. When you are issued your adult drivers Lic. you don't need to renew it again till you turn 60. About every 15 years or so the state may send you a letter asking you to stop by the DMV office to get a new photo taken at no charge, just so they can update their records.

You should have seen to look on the N.C. state troopers face when i got pulled over back in 2001, he took a double take when he saw the expiration date on my Lic. at first he though it was some kind of typo, i said nope, we do things kind of different out west, he said ya, you must, he had never seen anything like that before. :)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok soooo CH ***** is the vin? alrighty thanks then ;)

howd we get on the topic of gvwr anyways?
Because of the topic of this post. Your VIN question probably should have had it's own post.

Post a pic of your truck so we can figure out what it is. CARNAC will be able to tell you it's history if it was Army.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a little more info and this goes hand and hand with why i need to have the GVRW of my truck listed as zero. When you open this link scan down to section C, that is where you will find the info that ties into the GVRW http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/03101.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS Then this ARS 28-2484 deals with getting a historic plate for my truck. Now if your truck is at least 25 years old, you can use all these Arizona DMV laws and policys to title your truck historic. Armed with this info you will have no problems with your local Arizona DMV office.http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/02484.htm I hope this clears up any questions.
It would have cleared up alot of responses if you had included in your original post you were refering to registering it as
"historic" . So what restrictions does Arizona have for use with historic plates ?

Kawgomoo

Banned
yes i feel like quite the hijacker now. Its not my truck, im trying to research the legality of it before i purchase it.

dont care about its history per say, so long as its legal to own. {this one might not be}

this was an arizona thread with alot of {well intended} non arizona folk jumping in.

we all know the stipulations for a historic vehicle here in az, what it means, what it takes to get it registered.

What i personally dont know is which of the 14 alpha numeric lines on the data tag is the actual vin. Once i know which number is the vin, i can run it through state police and mvd to find out if the truck is ok to buy.

if i give them the wrong number it will come back as OK {you either get no result or bad results. no records found = assumed ok} . then i could take it in for an inspection, theyd run the correct vin and i could have just bought an illegal truck. no thank you.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i feel like quite the hijacker now. Its not my truck, im trying to research the legality of it before i purchase it.

dont care about its history per say, so long as its legal to own. {this one might not be}

this was an arizona thread with alot of {well intended} non arizona folk jumping in.

we all know the stipulations for a historic vehicle here in az, what it means, what it takes to get it registered.

What i personally dont know is which of the 14 alpha numeric lines on the data tag is the actual vin. Once i know which number is the vin, i can run it through state police and mvd to find out if the truck is ok to buy.

if i give them the wrong number it will come back as OK {you either get no result or bad results. no records found = assumed ok} . then i could take it in for an inspection, theyd run the correct vin and i could have just bought an illegal truck. no thank you.
The bottom line on V.I.N.'s is the number stamped in the frame , data tags have been known to be swapped before and after being surplused out . If it is a door tag and the door changed who is to say the data tag matches the frame without actual inspection of both numbers.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the s/n from the data plate on the dash of my M35A3. Its not a 17 digit VIN but nobody cares. In AZ if it has 3 axles then its a commercial truck. DMV inspectors are getting wise: A camper body on a commercial truck is still a commercial truck.

Kawgomoo

Banned
Thats sort of why i was wondering actually. The door plate on this vehicle is all loose and floppy. I highly doubt the door tag matches this particular vehicle. Then again, 2 of them being scrapped at the same time and place is unlikely.

I wanted to know which line was supposed to be the "vin" line from the door tag, so i knew when i found it on the frame. There are numbers all over the place on these things. I remember when i needed a seal kit i was asked for the number stamped on the mast. After inspection there were at least 5 different number stamped on the mast. None of which crossed over to anything meaningful. Finally id'd by the actual cylinder number.

Trying to register a MV is one thing, trying to figure out if the truck is legit enough to actually register while be sold a story from the owner/seller is another thing entirely.

For the headaches, seems like a questionable runner with solid paperwork from GL is a safer bet than vice versa.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, post ALL the info in CARNAC's 2014 post. He will be able to tell you which is actually the VIN. (the history is just a bonus in your case)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In AZ if the vehicle is 25 years old and you reg. it as a Historic vehicle there is not weight fee. You also need Historic insurance.
But on the SF-97 you need to list the GVWR.
There's not a weight fee if you explain that to them ;) I've had to do it every year so far. Maybe getting the GVW changed will help.
And as far as I know you don't need Historic Insurance, that just restricts how you can use it. I did have trouble find insurance and end up w/ Progressive Commercial.

Rifleman

Porkysplace, ask the question, what are the restrictions to registering your truck historic in the state of Arizona. The answer to that question is in the links i posted, but in short they allow no commercial use of the truck at all, the benefits to registering it historic is i now never have to pay the weight fees or get a CDL..

As far as the question about historic insurance goes, when i registered my truck historic not one of the insurance company's i spoke to told me i needed to buy "historic only insurance" I did have to buy commercial insurance due to the trucks weight.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks