Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1940 Federal 606 C2 Wrecker

Private
    Thanks

Ahhh from the pictures I've seen I I am going to say no. Definitely a lot of similarities but one of the things I noticed first are the supports that go over the spare wheels extend up past the rest of the wrecker frame whilst the Federals supports run up leaving the top of the wrecker frame flat. Also seems that the crane rail is much wider than the Federal's but I could be wrong. That looks like a **** of a heavy Sterling though with the big front winch and flatbed under the lifting system. I like it! Great pictures!

Thanks

I'm sure those folks at the museum (or some local SS member) could get you any measurements you needed for a donation to the cause..great place to visit....

Mike W

Thanks
    Thanked 7,009 Times in 2,712 Posts

I know nothing about them either - but I went looking:
    http://www.twinbeech.com/c2survivors.htm

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zout For This Useful Post:

73m819 (05-03-2013), clinto (05-03-2013), tamangel (05-03-2013)

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zout View Post
    I know nothing about them either - but I went looking:
    http://www.twinbeech.com/c2survivors.htm
    Nice find Z!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

Thanks

The yellow truck pictured is a Sterling HCS 330. Although similar in appearance to the C2 wrecking gear used on the smaller Sterlings and Federal 606 trucks, the boom on the 330 is nearly twice the size and considerably heavier.

Thanks

On a side note, would any of you gentlemen happen to know if the internal components of the rear axles on a Federal 606 will interchange with those on a 604? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,010 Posts

Most of these trucks use the Timken SD 353 axles.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NDT For This Useful Post:

sbshafer2 (05-04-2013)

Thanks

What a great find your C-2 is. It looks to be in really good condition, and it is amazing that you could drive it home. How is the wood in the cab ? Usually that is the first thing to go. If the wood is in good condition you are already way ahead of the game. Don't give up on finding the correct wrecking equipment, while these trucks are scarce they are still out there with the booms intact but they often have junk cabs due to the bad wood, so you might luck out and find a parts truck in your area. The Twinbeech site that has been linked probably has the best photos and info on these trucks. You might also check out the G503 at http://g503.com/forums/index.php , there are many knowledgable folks there about the big WW2 trucks in the 2-1/2 ton+ section. IIRC there was a man on the G503 who was selling a C2 wrecker boom last year, he may still have it. He is in Massachusetts.

Your truck is actually newer than 1940, most likely a '42-45. The early Federal 606's had a different grille and brushguard. The eggcrate grille like yours didn't come along until '42 or so. Biederman and Corbitt also built C-2 wreckers.

Attached are a couple photos of a C-2 in a museum in Europe, and a survivor in New York. You can get a good look at the wrecker equipment.

Federal 1944 C-2 Wrecker 2A resize.jpgFederal 1944 606 C2 6x6 wrecker L Turgeon MJG 1 resize.jpgFederal 1944 606 C2 6x6 wrecker L Turgeon MJG 2 resize.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Lakaszcyck; 05-03-2013 at 20:50.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Jeff

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Forum7.aspx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lakaszcyck For This Useful Post:

tamangel (05-04-2013)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tamangel View Post
    Wow!
    Great photos! Never seen them before! Thanks!

G_Mendes

Private
    Thanks

The TwinBeech site does have lot's of information and lot's of pictures in one spot instead of scattered around the internet. I haven't gotten around to contacting them for more information yet but I will get there. The cab isn't in horrible condition. There is a good bit of wood that needs replaced but I was planning on going through and replacing it all anyway. The driver's door is currently taken off because of the poor wood holding it together.

[QUOTE=Jeff Lakaszcyck; Your truck is actually newer than 1940, most likely a '42-45. The early Federal 606's had a different grille and brushguard. The eggcrate grille like yours didn't come along until '42 or so. Biederman and Corbitt also built C-2 wreckers.QUOTE]

I hate to disagree since I am the one after information. I still have the original title from 1953 when it was released from duty to Matt's Garage. I would imagine that the information is correct unless they made a mistake so long ago. I also have an updated title stating that it is a 1940 with 6500 actual miles. Also the more pictures I look through the more small differences I notice. The trim seems to be slightly different than most models I see on the hood and around the cab. The windshield wipers also appear to be different but there's no telling how original they are. I also notice that the rear fenders are different and may be incomplete. The fire extinguisher mounts are also shorter and more narrow than many of the ones I see in other pictures and I notice that the front end housing is quite a bit different too with the filler plug coming away from the housing so that it comes out and fills horizontally. I'll do some digging and see if I can't find a date tag somewhere on it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast