• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HASSON1911's M923A2 Acquisition and Restoration Thread

HASSON1911

Well, after six weeks of waiting for my trucker to get his chit together, it happened. I got a text today at college that my dad just drove my 5 ton into the yard. I had purchased here out of Sparta, WI anybody who has a truck out there and doesn't want to deal with GL, give Jeff (JBL) he is awesome and his fees are more than reasonable. As stated she is an M923A2 with working CTIS, she must have been ignored by bidders, because for 3k I got working ctis and the only thing bad on her is a shot alt. and one air valve that has a broken safety (lets air out below normal pressure). My plans are to obviously fix mechanical issue than give her a brand new paint job before the veterans day parade. The vets last year told me they wanted to ride in my deuce next year, so I'm hoping to keep it a secret from the town until that day. I am the only one with a deuce with in 100 mile of Roseau that i know of. and at least 230 miles of any M939 series truck. Here are some pics as my dad tried to dismount her, enjoy!

P.s. I know its bad luck, but my dad wanted to change the crew cab to Pete. (after the owner who had originally started it)so I believe this girl will be Madison.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the 5 ton club.:cookoo:

When changing tires seek professional help. Those super singles weigh about 500 pounds each and the CTIS parts are made of unobtainium.

Be very careful when taking the parts off when doing tire work.

Download the manual and follow the instructions.

Good luck.....you got a great deal.

HASSON1911

Thanks, guys just got word that there was some sort of speaker left in there too, I'll try get my dad to take pics, looks like it was left over from the antenna system or something, because there is also the bracket assembly on the passenger fender.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Most ctis parts are not that hard to find I just went thru it. Between reading the tms, manuals and emailing back and forth with a Dana technician who was very helpful I understand how the system works and was able to fix it. Ctis lines are either airbrake line which is like a dollar a foot or high pressure flexible air line which any line shop can make you up pretty much anything you need. The valves are rebuildable or replaceable the rebuild kits and valves are avalable online. Go buy a few different o-ring kits they are like 10 bucks a kit at harbor freight. The valve body in the cab is rebuildabe there are 3 solenoid actuated piston valves with o-rings you can take it apart (carefully) and replace the rings. There are seals around the axles that is the only things you might have some trouble with but I believe they can be found.

dragonman

Thanks, guys just got word that there was some sort of speaker left in there too, I'll try get my dad to take pics, looks like it was left over from the antenna system or something, because there is also the bracket assembly on the passenger fender.
I would like the fender bracket if its for sale.

HASSON1911

I think my dad whats to go get her sometime before veterans day parade to. but for sure before summer is done. Sorry guys not parting this truck out yet, I found a couple new things for this truck like LED headlights and an antenna. Going to buy paint tomorrow!

HASSON1911

So in preperation of painting, does anybody have a pattern scheme(top front back left and right view) for the M923A2, I remember seeing one for the m35a2 but failed to turn anything up for the 923. Or even pics of someone who painted theirs to use as a guide not to worried about cab and engine just want the box and cargo cover to line up. Thanks guys. -Jake

Scarecrow1

Nice find I hope you are able to get a paint job on it in time. It has been the worse winter and spring for raining every other day here. I have had the paint for two months and it's still in the garage because of the weather. Good luck with her.....

HASSON1911

First day home from college and I got to play with my 5 ton... and I LOVED it. CTIS had a hiccup but started working again, also had a leak start from the back of the spring brake override button, very high pitched! Will fix that ASAP. But other than that she was a joy to ride. Who said you couldn't buy happiness, who ever they were obviously never drove a 5 ton.

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First day home from college and I got to play with my 5 ton... and I LOVED it. CTIS had a hiccup but started working again, also had a leak start from the back of the spring brake override button, very high pitched! Will fix that ASAP. But other than that she was a joy to ride. Who said you couldn't buy happiness, who ever they were obviously never drove a 5 ton.
I honestly haven't had my M35A3 on the road since I got my 923A2! She's getting pissed!
Next up a wrecker someday!

HASSON1911

I can relate, started my deuce to move my 5 ton, and when she started the first thing I have ever thought since having her is... this cab is really noisy, and my 5 ton is soft and quiet(er)!

Last edited:

HASSON1911

I'd like to thank who ever put these goodies in my truck and also GL for not taking them out. Shown: davit crane chain hoist, 5 reflective triangle markers, 2 bottle neck jacks and 2 impact sockets. Not shown: glad hand and speaker from com. system

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks