• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HASSON1911's M923A2 Acquisition and Restoration Thread

HASSON1911

Thanks for the compliment, for prep work I wanted to sandblast, but ended up needling the whole truck than sanding with an osculating sander, worked very well! And no dings or hit marks on the door or hood! Then primed with van sickle, and painted with the behr paint codes found on this site

Do you by chance have which Behr paint codes you used? I used codes found here on SS but your truck looks a little darker. I don't know if its because I only have one coat so far covering tan but I'd rather the darker tint.
Here's what I used, does it match your's?

Behr Marquee
Base: 4453
Marquee Ext Flat/Flat, Matte {Man}

CLRNT AXL DL KXL LL
OZ 2 1 0 8
384th 68 16 112 80

HASSON1911

Do you by chance have which Behr paint codes you used? I used codes found here on SS but your truck looks a little darker. I don't know if its because I only have one coat so far covering tan but I'd rather the darker tint.
Here's what I used, does it match your's?

Behr Marquee
Base: 4453
Marquee Ext Flat/Flat, Matte {Man}

CLRNT AXL DL KXL LL
OZ 2 1 0 8
384th 68 16 112 80

Home Depot - Base = Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat, Matte Deep Base #4300

Colorant............. OZ... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow... 2....... 68
D-Thalo Green..... 1...... 16
KX-White............. 0...... 112
L-Raw Umber...... 8....... 80

UPDATE 10/7/2011 Added Mike's Black and Brown codes from his other thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/7...project-7.html

Black
Home Depot - Base = 4300
Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat/Flat Matte #4300

B..... 11....... 96
C .... 0......... 16
I .... 0........148
KX... 0....... 116

Brown
Home Depot - Base = 4300
Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat/Flat,Matte

B..... 7....... 16
C..... 1...... 308
F.......1.......200
KX... 1...... 240

These are the three colors I got, I think it is note worthy to mention my truck was also originally a 3 color nato when I got her, and that there is also 2 gallons on this truck! I believe I put about 2-3 coats depending on how the original carc was! The fact your truck was tan I believe could play into affect, that or maybe poor mixing. That happened to me on my first coat, and I think I mixed for 5-8 min. Rookie mistake I know, but it happens

These are the three colors I got, I think it is note worthy to mention my truck was also originally a 3 color nato when I got her, and that there is also 2 gallons on this truck! I believe I put about 2-3 coats depending on how the original carc was! The fact your truck was tan I believe could play into affect, that or maybe poor mixing. That happened to me on my first coat, and I think I mixed for 5-8 min. Rookie mistake I know, but it happens
Perfect, thank you. I will be applying 1 or 2 more coats which "should" darken. thank you for the info.

HASSON1911

Sharp looking truck for sure, definitely some inspiration, aspiration, and envy going on. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, comments like that keep me going to finish big projects like this, I was really on the fence for camo or green, but I'm glad I did this.

I got the black done this morning and will do the 1st brown tonight once it cools off tonight, Pictures to come!

HASSON1911

I'm spraying it with a cheapo air gun from harbor freight. I initially thought over-spray would make it look like garbage, but in fact it when up close it has a soft transfer of colors in a about 3 in. where a paint brish or roller would give you sharp crisp lines.

Edit: Though I should add I have nothing against crisp lines.

Also question for the class, any one know why the military put so much black on this truck? After all black is not a natural occurring color!

Last edited:

HASSON1911

So Im trying to fab up some bows for this girl and had a quick question, Are the corner pieces for the m105 trailer the same for the m923, if so I'll copy those and just get wood pieces!

Also, Brown paint is on today before the storm. Pics to come tonight!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So Im trying to fab up some bows for this girl and had a quick question, Are the corner pieces for the m105 trailer the same for the m923, if so I'll copy those and just get wood pieces!
No, not the same a lot smaller and too narrow, Duce, 805 and 939 5T series bows are all the same corner and bow wise.

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Im going to swap tires tomorrow and looking for torque measurement on tires I came across something interesting, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I wonder how the studs even have any thread left if a person changed tires pre military orders!

http://trucks5ton.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-272-24-2/TM-9-2320-272-24-20018.htm

To me I read it as this tire will be very crooked or at least crooked enough to wreck thread, with only hand tight, with the entire weight on the vehicle on the tire. And then torquing to 450-500 ft. lbs forcing the tire to straighten.

Think I'll do it my way, seeing how I have never stripped a stud, and have work with bigger tires and trucks!

1.Put tire on
2.Drop tire to ground enough to stop roll (NOT entire weight of vehicle)
3.Run nuts down
4.Torque to 250
5.Torque to 500
6. Be happy you still have thread left on you studs!

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something peculiar to an A2 is that the hubs are not the same size as the hole in the wheel, which makes it act like a hub centric rather than a stud centric setup. What I found that works pretty well is to lift both sides of one axle off the ground enough to be able to spin the tires. You'll have to release the parking brake if its on one of the rear axles, so make sure you chock the wheels. Have someone else spin the opposite wheel slowly while you run the nuts down a bit at a time so that the studs center as you tighten them. Once they're in place, set the parking brake and tighten the lugnuts to the correct torque. It has been my experience that just torquing the nuts down will not center them on wheel holes correctly. This is what has worked for me in the past, anyways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks