• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "ACE and a Half"

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0189[1].jpgIMG_0190[1].jpg

So I finally am at a point where I can share the project I have been working on. I call it an "Ace and a Half" because its rated for about 3,000 lb weight capacity. Started out as an RV, coach part was completely trashed from 2 years of roof leaking, soooooooooo I picked it up for a song and got to work. Stripped the coach and sold what I could. Bought a cab back from Casey's truck salvage in Buffalo NY, and the best part, added a bed from a 923 that Doghead and I parted out. Got the first coat of paint on today now that the weather is broken here in NY. Still got some details to close off, but its moving along. Best part about the truck is that it came with a 460 Gas and AOD tranny both brand new from Ford with only 5k miles on them and it runs absolutely new. The whole truck only has 69k on the clock. Best thing is, with all the work done to it, I'll only have about 1500 bucks into the project. I went with the 383 green as I had a bunch here, and well, the truck is half-military, so why not. Still debating on adding the black and brown accents. What do you guys think?

IMG-20120915-00114.jpgIMG-20120903-00097.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will make a great recovery vehicle. 3 color camo is always good plus it would match your other trucks.

Danger Ranger

Sweet. 4x4 would be awesome, but I think larger wheels/tires would then be necessary....adn then you gotta go and get pretty fancy with it....lol.

Pretty neat though. Should be one heck of a useful truck!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0207[1].jpgSome more pics. Got a little more done today. Still neeed to install:
Mudflaps, toolboxes, weld up the million holes in the floor from the RV trim, remount the gas filler neck, complete the 3 color camo and I'm sure a few other things.

Had to give it a little work out see if it was worth its salt, squatted 3/4 inch with the loaded trailer. Drove it around and couldn't even tell the trailer was behind. What a workhorse!

IMG_0205.jpgIMG_0204.jpgIMG_0203.jpgIMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice one Pat - looks loads better than when I last saw it. Should help big time with the migration.
Keeping the "soft" front - or will you be looking for that CUCV brush guard effect?

Did I just hear some one say "Bob it"....!!!!!

"..... oh, the humanity".

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Howard. Yeah it's come a long way. Been looking for a CUCV brush guard but no luck so far. Def not thinking about a bob. Need the wheelbase for towing. Cheers!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the weight of that Bed compare to the RV Shell that you stripped off it?

Do you have the sideboards/troops seats and tailgate for it?

I guess what I'd really like to know is: What's your rated payload post-mod-'em? (Empty Weight vs. GVWR)

Thanks.

And keep up the great work!!!

Carry on.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RV coach was a little over two tons, as far as the dumpster weight ticket. The rear springs were almost on the snubbers. Now they actually have a slight arch to them, and I still have Firestone airbags installed that can be aired up. Now with the bed (I took off the sides and tailgate to save some weight) and a RAWR of 7400lbs, I figure that I am in the 3000 range for available payload. I am going to scale it as soon as I get it registered. I can't wait to get back to it in a few days and maybe get the three color done.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RV coach was a little over two tons, as far as the dumpster weight ticket. The rear springs were almost on the snubbers. Now they actually have a slight arch to them, and I still have Firestone airbags installed that can be aired up. Now with the bed (I took off the sides and tailgate to save some weight) and a RAWR of 7400lbs, I figure that I am in the 3000 range for available payload. I am going to scale it as soon as I get it registered. I can't wait to get back to it in a few days and maybe get the three color done.
That's great! You get an A+ for the math working out so well <BIG GRIN>

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you going to put a set of composite lights in the bed holes and just put in 12v bulbs?

Looks good, should give you many years of useful service!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks