• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 813 vs MAN Kat1 10t

Henrik74

Hi

I’m into buying a Tatra 813 or a MAN Kat1 8x8 but can’t decide witch

I’m going to use it on the road and a bit off-road a want a truck that is nice to drive I have a Scania SBAT111s to day great truck but to small cabin need to go 3 in the cabin.

I know this is the Tatra forum but some one whit some input??

Best Regards
Henrik

Last edited:

T815-8x8

Think you would need to compare the MAN to the T815 series, if its just versus 813, then I would have to say go with the MAN KAt1

Henrik74

Hi
Thanks for your answer.
I'm just back from Berlin with a Tatra 813 better price and a better cabin (size) then the MAN Kat1.

Very happy with the truck so far, had some problem with the diesel filter under the drive home auronde 1000 miles drive ;)

Last edited:

duncan

Dont buy MAN for offroading. MAN is nice for high speed "semi offroad" / "unpaved", but its not an offroad vehicle. Tatra is. Then, a MAN 4x4 uses the same amount of diesel as a Tatra 813 8x8. Tatra has the 7-seat 4 door cab, MAN has a 4-seat 2 door cab. Spare parts for Tatra are a lot cheaper too. Tatra T815 is a "luxury" version of the T813, but (on the 8x8) due to a longer wheelbase slightly less capable offroad (too much space between 2nd and 3rd axle).

You'll be happy with your 813, good choice.

Henrik74

So did you buy a Kolos 4 door version
Yes the 813 kolos

The truck is works great but have some question on the ventils on the fuel tanks, ventil up open or down open? The bigger one return pipe ,small to the fuel pump?. I have 3 on the left tank that has no ventil is that to the heater?

Do any no were I can get the English Handbook and the workshop manual?

The truck will be repainted not sure which color, it has been at a towing company in Berlin in theres garage for 5 years not in use and under 11 years only been used very little.

Here is a picture.

20130517_215219.jpg

Henrik

T815-8x8

Line from tank to fuel filter will be the supply feed, tank valve position I do not know which way, Duncan will know, you can disconnect to check.
I have drivers manual, workshop repair, and parts books in English.
I will not be home until June 10th, that's the earliest I could send them, also why I cannot answer valve position

Henrik74

Line from tank to fuel filter will be the supply feed, tank valve position I do not know which way, Duncan will know, you can disconnect to check.
I have drivers manual, workshop repair, and parts books in English.
I will not be home until June 10th, that's the earliest I could send them, also why I cannot answer valve position

If you could send me that it would be great!! June the 10th is faster then if I would try to learn german ;

duncan

On the valves: up is open, down closed. Use only one tank at a time and open both feed and return valve on the same side, otherwise you will pump fuel between the tanks. Left tank has an extra fuel return line without a valve, this is the overflow from the injectors.

The truck looks like it's in good shape, nice find!

Last edited:

Henrik74

Ok thanks Duncan.

Yes the truck is in good shape, its rust free.
It has some electric things that I must figure out but nothing bigg.

Henrik74

20130613_164011.jpg

Picked up this weekend, is a long-term project. The idea is to mount it in the back of Tatran and decorate it for short term accommodation.

It is a Swedish Stab Cab.

20130615_114500.jpg

1,5 year and also wants to drive Tatra ;)

Carlo

Well I have had both. The 813 kolos was sold 2 years ago but I still have my Man KAT 5 ton. The difference is like night and day between the to! The 813 is crude and I mean crude. Parts are cheap when you find them and you will need to find a source for they do break, BUT the MAN KAT just goes and goes. The Deutz V8 diesel starts, runs and cant over heat with its air cooling. The MAN is just high high quality and you feel it when you drive it.

T815-8x8

Thank Duncan,

Carlos, to be far that's comparing 2 different decades of truck DESIGN, I know 813 spanned into the early 80's but its design is mid 60's with very few changes, I'll conceded that German build quality is the best but the put 815 to KAT1 and the balance is a lot closer except in offroad performance where it's hand down to Tatra. End of day one has to make decision on requirements etc

Carlo

All I can clearly and honestly say I have owned and operated both. Parts are not as easy as they were to find and prices are 5 times higher in a short time. My 813 Passed more time waiting for parts than being used. I can go to my local Man dealer and he has the part tomorrow morning.
I must also add I am a retired Army major in the italian army armour. We spent years testing the 813 and 815 and found the build quality 3 world level. The US army even choose Man Kat's in Europe!

T815-8x8

I'm not arguing 813, look at my YouTube videos from UK Mil DVD show 2007 back to back MAN 8x8 v T817 8x8 no comparison and offroad Trucktrials Tatra kicks everything out of its path hence why Navistar / Tatra ATV (T817) for the military

Henrik74

Hi T815-8x8
I will take some pictures tomorrow when I am at work.
Will also give you some info then.

Regards Henrik

Henrik74

Henrik, do you have any info' on these "Stab Cabs" I would like to see inside pics when you have time
Sorry I havent been to work until today. Have had some illness in the family.

Here are some pictures.

20130721_125650.jpg
The back side whit twin doors

20130721_125852.jpg
The front with some rack for cans and a Diesel generator Under the rack is the spare tyre supposed to be and some extras

20130721_125906.jpg
Left side and right side looks the same

20130721_125746.jpg
Inside

20130721_125813.jpg
A lot of stuff;)

Comes whit a fuelburner heater.

This cabin has been installed with radio equipment.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks