• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Big-sert" thread inserts

hvillem1009

Has anyone heard of the "Big-Sert" thread inserts? I am thinking about ordering a kit to use for starter bolts. Both bolts have broken, the outer one I was able to get heli coil to work, inner bolt have not had any luck with heli coil and now i can't get heli coil to work. I have run out of solutions on what to do to fix the problem. I have used quick steel and it work for about 7 cranks and now it won't work at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

richingalveston

any chance of tapping it one size larger? not sure how much metal you have to work with but you would probably have to drill the mounting holes out on the starter also.

Asmoday

I've used Time-Serts quite a bit and just Time-Sert'd all my torque converter flexplate mount pad bolt holes the other day. They work great...! I have used the Big-Serts as well. You need to make sure you get the pilot hole and tap as straight as possible and then red loctite the time-sert in there. I would use red loctite 271 on the block time-serts and red loctite 263 on the bolts making sure you use new correct part number bolts. The red loctite 263 is a newer formulation and bolts can be broke free with hand tools actually. Check the specs...good stuff.

There is a great vendor on ePray that sells the Big-Sert kits and I have had awesome service from him on the products...!

sparky1

a word of caution here.any repair to stripped threads in the block for the starter bolts will require opening up the diameter of the clearance hole.although the threads will be fixed the bolts will be a sloppy fit causing the starter to move around slightly.this could spell trouble.sleeving the clearance back to original size with a thin wall bushing may work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks